How To Add an MX Record in Namecheap
So, you’ve created your domain name on Namecheap, and you’re ready to set up your email protocols. An MX record is the standard way of doing this; without it, servers won’t know where to send emails for your domain. You’ll definitely need to set up an MX record if you want your emails to be sorted and routed properly. Fortunately, Namecheap offers several options to configure your mail services to suit your needs.
This article will teach you all the necessary steps to add an MX record on Namecheap.
How to Add an MX Record
Before you set up the required MX records with Namecheap, your domain name must be pointed at their FreeDNS, BasicDNS, or PremiumDNS in your Namecheap account.
You’ll also need to ensure that there’s no CNAME record created for your domain in the host records section. If so, your email won’t be routed properly. CNAME has the highest priority over records, including MX records, so you mustn’t have a CNAME record associated with your account.
To add an MX record on Namecheap, follow the steps outlined below:
- Sign in to your Namecheap account.
- From the left sidebar, select “Domain List.”
- You will see a list of your domain names. Select the one you’d like to add an MX record to by clicking on the “Manage” button.
- Select the “Advanced DNS” tab at the top of the screen and go to “Mail Settings.”
- Choose one of the listed options from the drop-down menu:
- “No Email Service” is used if you don’t want to have any email services.
- “Email Forwarding” is used to create personalized emails for a domain that forwards emails to other email accounts.
- “MXE Record” is used to forward an email to a mail server’s IP address.
- “Custom MX” is used for third-party mail services.
- “Private email” is used for Namecheap private email service.
- “Gmail” is used if you have a G Suite subscription.
- Once you’ve made your selection, click “Save Changes.”
You have now successfully added an MX record on Namecheap. Your settings typically take approximately 30 minutes to update. If your MX record hasn’t been updated after 30 minutes, you can open a ticket to get some help. Response time is typically within 2 hours. This service is available 24 hours a day.
What is an MX record?
An MX record is a mail exchanger record that points emails for a domain to a specific mail server. You’ll need an MX record to ensure your domain’s emails are routed appropriately. You won’t receive your emails if an MX record isn’t pointed to the correct location.
My website doesn’t require receiving emails. Do I still need an MX record?
The MX record is responsible for pointing your domain to the proper mail server. Without this record, you won’t be able to receive emails. By default, an MX record is not required. However, it is somewhat of an industry standard and is recommended.
You can always add an MX record and configure it to “No Email Service.” This will save you time in the future if you decide to add email services to your domain.
Get Your Emails Sent to the Proper Place
Email servers will have no idea where to send emails without an MX record. It’s important to properly set up your MX records to ensure that this doesn’t happen to you. Most websites use email services to stay engaged with their visitors, and configuring your email settings with Namecheap is quick and easy, so why not set it up?
Have you added an MX record with Namecheap? Did you use the same method described in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.