How To Add Pictures to Your Notion Gallery
One of best features on Notion is the Gallery view. Here you can display all your visual elements like pictures, recipes, mood boards, etc. With this tool, you can use a single grid consisting of cards. Each card has a preview picture that makes it easy for you to view and select your files.
In this article, we’ll show you all you need to know to add pictures and fully utilize this feature.
Adding a Gallery View
Gallery’s make all your information appealing and easy to select at a glance. Here are three ways to add a new gallery:
Option 1 – Creating a new gallery
- Click on “New Page.”
- Select the team space or the page where you want to add your gallery.
- Name your gallery.
Click on “More” in the “Add new” section, then click on “Gallery.”
Option 2 – To create a gallery within a page
- Put your cursor on a new line and hit the forward slash key and type “gallery.”
- Click on “Gallery View,” or press “Enter.”
Option 3 – Adding gallery view to an existing database
- Select “Add a view” or click on the name of the current view.
- Choose “Gallery” from the menu and name it.
- Select “Create” and your gallery will come up.
Adding Pictures in Your Gallery View
Now that you’ve created your gallery, here are steps on how to add your pictures:
- Go to your Gallery View.
- Click on the name of your Gallery View, which you’ll find in your top tabs of the database.
- Click on “Edit View.” Settings for the view will open and you can customize how you want your Gallery View to look.
- In “Settings” choose “Layout.”
- Select “Card Preview.” Here you can configure which information you see for each card displayed in your gallery.
- To add a cover or preview picture for every card, click on the page name and choose “Cover.” The preview displays a snippet of what’s in the database page.
- You’ll now see how your gallery looks after your changes, and the images you uploaded will be visible for each card. You can now browse your photo gallery.
Editing Your Gallery View Properties
Once you’ve created your Gallery View, you can edit its properties. Properties are a way for you to add significant data or information to your images. There’s no limit to how many properties your images can have.
Here’s how to add properties to your Gallery View:
- Add a new card in the gallery, then select “Add a property.”
- Name it and choose its “Type.”
- If you’d like to duplicate any property or delete it, select the option icon on the left of it in the “Properties” menu.
Changing Your Card Preview
To change a card preview, do the following:
- Select the options menu.
- Choose “Layout and Card Preview.”
You can choose which pictures show up in your gallery with these options:
- Your cover page. Your gallery shows the cover picture you chose on each page.
- Your page content. Your gallery shows the first picture that’s in the body of each gallery page. When there isn’t a picture, you’ll see a preview of what’s inside the page.
- Your files and media. Any pictures that have been uploaded in your file property will be displayed in your gallery.
How to Position Your Pictures
You can set your pictures to be displayed in several ways:
- If you’d like to have your entire images displayed within their card frames, in “Properties” choose “Fit image” and your pictures will be fitted within the frame.
- If your picture isn’t fitting how you’d like it to, turn off “Fit image” to crop it.
If you’d like to change the order your cards are displayed in, click and hold and drag to the order you prefer.
Changing the Size of Your Gallery Cards
You may want your cards to be larger, or smaller or in-between. Here’s how to change their size:
- Go to your “Layout.”
- Select “Card Size” and choose the size your preferred size.
Grouping Your Cards
Gallery View allows you to group all your cards by specific properties so you can view them how you’d like to. Here’s how to do it:
- Select “Group” from the top and select your preferred property. Almost all property types can be grouped. Here are some to choose from: Relation, Number, Text, Person, Date, URL, Email, Checkbox, Phone, Formula, Created time, Created by, Last edited time, and Last edited by.
- Your cards will be grouped by the property values. You can hide each group using a left toggle and choose which groups to highlight.
- Click on “Hide empty groups” to hide empty groups.
View Cards Based on Criteria
You may want to see cards related to specific criteria all at once. Here’s how it’s done:
- Select “Filter” at the top of your gallery view.
- Select the property you want to use.
- Choose from “Does not contain,” or “Contains,” etc.
- Select a specific tag for the property value you’d like shown.
- There is an option to choose multiple filters.
- Choose the “X” icon to remove any filters. This is found in the filter menu.
Arrange the Order Your Gallery Is Viewed
If you’d like your Gallery pictures to be displayed in ascending or descending order, you can do this using their properties. Here’s how:
- Select “Sort” from the top of your gallery view.
- Select which property to sort your pictures by, then select “Ascending or Descending.” Your gallery will be rearranged.
- In the “Sort” menu, you can select several sorts.
- If you’d like to remove sorts, select the “X” icon by the sort in the sort menu.
Search for Anything in Your Gallery View
If you’d like to find something specific in your gallery view, you can do the following:
- Select “Search” from the top and input the word(s) you need to find within any cards or properties.
- Your gallery will show you all the cards associated with your word(s).
Share Your Gallery With a Link
If you’d like to share your gallery, you can use a link by doing the following:
- Select your gallery options which will be at the top right.
- Select “Copy link to view” and your link will be copied to your clipboard for you to share.
Arrange Your Collections Visually With Adding Pictures to Gallery View
Your Gallery Views in Notion make it easy to show your collections in a visual and dynamic way. These galleries serve as a database and you can easily customize them to suit your purposes. This way, you give a great visual element to all your collections.
Have you ever added a picture to your Gallery View in Notion? If so, did you use any of the tips and tricks featured in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.