Can Zapier Send Text Messages? Yes, Here’s How
Zapier is your go-to app for all things automation. But can this automation tool do something as simple as sending a text message? If this is the question on your mind, you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, you’ll find out if you can use Zapier to send text messages. Stick around to find out more.
How to Send Text Messages With Zapier
Zapier has a feature called “SMS by Zapier” to automatically send SMS texts to yourself based on your preferred triggers. Plus, using the feature is relatively simple. Here’s how to send a text message using SMS By Zapier:
- Go to your dashboard on Zapier and click on “Create Zap.”
- Select the event to trigger an SMS text.
- From the “Trigger Event” dropdown menu, select an event to receive notifications. Click “Continue” to proceed.
- If you’re not authenticated, go ahead and finish the authentication process for the application you’re trying to integrate with SMS by Zapier.
- In the “Action Event” dropdown menu, type in “SMS by Zapier” and select the first result that pops up. Choose “Send SMS” to continue.
- In the “To Number” field, enter your verified phone number.
- Proceed by choosing a method you’d like to use to verify your phone number.
- Complete the phone verification process by entering the verification code you’re given.
- Customize the message you’d like to receive based on your entered trigger. You can also include variables generated from the trigger in the message.
- Click on “Test & Review.”
You should now receive a text message if the trigger fired successfully.
If you want to send a text message to someone else using SMS by Zapier, you might need to request their verification code, making it a daunting task for some SMS users on the app.
Pros of Sending Text Messages Using SMS by Zapier
- It doesn’t cost anything to send a message.
- It’s automatic.
Cons of Sending Text Messages Using SMS by Zapier
Sending messages using Zapier is not impossible. But the app comes with its own set of drawbacks. Here are some of the major ones:
- The number of text messages you can send is limited to 15 per hour.
- You can only send a text message to a number that Zapier verifies.
- A text message can only be a maximum of 153 characters, and extra characters in the message will be truncated.
- The phone number you’d like to send a text message to must be registered in the United States or the United Kingdom.
- You can only send a text message to yourself.
Twilio: The Best Alternative to SMS by Zapier for Sending Text Messages
Twilio is an excellent alternative to SMS by Zapier when sending text messages in the app. Although the solution isn’t free for use, it’s insanely affordable for most.
To use Twilio to send text messages from Zapier, you’ll first need to connect it to Zapier. This can be done utilizing an auth token, your account’s SID, and an API key found on your Twilio dashboard. After authentication, you can start using Twilio to send text messages using your Zaps.
Here’s how to use Twilio to send messages inside your Zapier app:
- Go to Twilio and purchase a phone number.
- Choose the event you’d like to be triggered for you to receive by SMS.
- From the “Trigger Event” dropdown menu, select the event you’d like to be notified of when it occurs. Click “Continue” to proceed.
- If you’re not authenticated, go ahead and finish the authentication process for the application you’re trying to integrate with Twilio.
- In the “Action Event” dropdown menu, type in “Twilio” and select the first query result.
- Choose “Send SMS” from the dropdown menu to continue
- Fill in the options that come up, including the number you purchased from Twilio, the number you’d like to send an SMS to, and a media URL.
- Proceed to finish setting up the Zap.
- You should now receive a text message if the trigger is fired correctly.
Pros of Using Twilio to Send SMS in Zapier
- There are no limits on the number of text messages you can send.
- You can send an SMS to any number, including those that aren’t Zapier-verified.
Why You Would Want to Send a Text Message Using Zapier
Although SMS by Zapier poses some limitations that cannot be ignored, the feature can come in handy in certain scenarios.
For instance, if you have a contact form on your website or even a form you’ve sent out for feedback, you can set up a Zap to receive a text message every time someone fills out that form. That way, you can get back to the senders almost immediately.
You can also send yourself a text message every time you receive a payment from a client. From these few examples, it’s clear that SMS By Zapier can be a convenient tool in specific circumstances.
Does it cost money to send a text message using Zapier?
If you’re using SMS by Zapier to send the messages, then it won’t cost you anything. With Twilio, SMS charges may apply but many will find it insanely affordable.
Use Zapier to Send Your Next Text Automated Message
Zapier is a fantastic tool for sending out automated messages. However, the popular “SMS by Zapier” poses some messaging limitations that can’t be overlooked. Fortunately, you can resort to other messaging apps that Zapier supports, such as Twilio, which offers far more flexibility and messaging capabilities.
Have you ever tried sending a text message using Zapier? How was the experience of the whole process? Please share with us your thoughts in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.