How To Cancel your Netflix Subscription [March 2020]
If you’re looking to learn how to cancel your Netflix subscription you’re in the right place. This tutorial will show you how to do it in your browser, Android or iOS app, and streaming devices such as the Amazon Firestick and Roku.
It seems Netflix is well aware of the nature of TV viewing and makes it simple to subscribe and cancel. It even mentions on the home page that you can subscribe for a month, cancel and come back whenever you want. It is honesty that is all too rare.
Netflix Payment Methods
When canceling your subscription it’s important to understand how you’re being billed. Depending on where you signed up for the service is where you will have to go to cancel the subscription.
As of May of 2018 users can no longer signup to pay for Netflix with Google Play. If you are paying for Netflix through Google, you will have to cancel your subscription in the Google Play Store. Follow these steps:
- Visit play.google.com/store/account
- Click on “My Subscriptions” and select Netflix
- Select “Cancel Subscription”
- Click “Confirm” and be sure to check your email for the confirmation
iTunes users can still pay for their Netflix subscription. You can cancel your subscription using your iPhone, iPad, or iTunes on a computer.
If you need help cancelling your subscription check out: Cancel a Subscription through via iOS or iTunes.
Lastly, you can set up your account using a debit/credit card or PayPal. If you’ve used this method follow the steps below.
When to Cancel Your Subscription
It’s important to understand how Netflix bills your payment method. When you first sign up for the service, your billing begins the same day and renews every month on that date.
This billing date doesn’t change unless your account is can
celled for more than ten months. To avoid being billed for another month, cancel your subscription anytime before the renewal date. You will continue to enjoy the service until the bill cycle ends.
Cancel your Netflix subscription in your browser
Cancelling Netflix in the browser is the easiest way to do it. Visit your Netflix Account Page in your browser and follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Netflix home page and sign in with the Admin account.
- Navigate to Your Account. Depending on how many profiles you have, you may need to click your name before clicking Your Account.
- Select Cancel Membership.
- Select Finish Cancellation.
If you use Netflix on Android or iOS, the process is slightly different.
Cancel your Netflix subscription on Android
If you use an Android device to consume Netflix content then you can use the browser method or do it through the app. It is entirely up to you.
- Open the Netflix app on your Android device.
- Swipe left to open the menu and scroll down to Account.
- Select Account and Membership & Billing.
- Select Cancel Membership and confirm at the next screen.
The same rules apply with the app as they do with the browser. If you are partway through a month, you can view your shows up until the end of the billing period. Then you lose that access until you subscribe once more.
Cancel your Netflix subscription on iOS
If you access Netflix on your iPhone or iPad, the process is very similar to the Android method.
- Access the Netflix app on your phone or tablet and sign in.
- Select the menu button in the top left of the app screen.
- Scroll to Account and select Membership & Billing.
- Select Cancel Membership and confirm at the next screen where you see Finish Cancellation.
The same rules apply here too. Access until the end of the billing period then no further access until you subscribe again.
Once unsubscribed, you will no longer be able to access the app as you did. Netflix will keep your viewing history, recommendations, ratings and DVD Queue for ten months after your cancellation. If you decide to subscribe again at a later date you can just pick up where you left off.
Cancel Netflix on Streaming Devices
The Netflix application for Amazon Firesticks, Rokus, and gaming systems are similar. If you’re using the application on one of these devices follow these steps:
- From the Netflix application; Select “Profile” (on most this will be in the upper right-hand corner)
- Select “Account”
- Select “Membership and Billing”
- Click on the option “Cancel Membership”
- Lastly, select “Finish Cancellation”
If You Can’t Cancel Your Subscription
Users have reported that they have clicked the “Cancel Subscription” option and it does not work. There can be a few reasons for this:
- You’re not signed into the right account. Verify your email address and password.
- You are being billed through a third party company such as Apple, Google, or even your cable provider in some cases.
- If you cancelled and were still charged check your billing date. Depending on the date you’ve cancelled; the new month may have already begun.
If all of this checks out you will need to reach out to Netflix support.
Subscribe to Netflix again
As you would expect, Netflix make it easy to subscribe once more. They do want your money after all and with lots of original and new programming being added all the time, you will likely be tempted back at one point or another.
- Navigate to the Netflix home page and sign in with your Admin account.
- Navigate to Your Account.
- Select Restart Membership and confirm payment details.
If your account was within that ten month limit and has not been put to inactive, your billing date will remain as it was. If your account was made inactive, the billing date will change to whatever date you restarted your membership.