How To Use Canva to Create Wedding Invitations
Picking your wedding invitations can be an expensive and stressful experience. You want a specific look to them that truly expresses your personality. But you don’t have the time to work with a graphic designer or look through hundreds of sample books at your local printer. Fortunately, there is a better way to go about it.
You can easily create your own unique wedding invitations using the Canva app. With an abundance of pre-built customizable wedding invitation templates to choose from, you can start with the one that has that special feel. Once you find the right template, you can modify it until it’s exactly what you want for your special day.
With Canva, you’ll have complete control over the creative process. This article will guide you through using Canva to create wedding invitations.
How to Create Wedding Invitations With Canva
Creating a wedding invitation with the Canva app is an excellent option if you want to design it yourself. With its easy-to-use drop and drag interface, you can quickly create a beautiful invitation with the flair you’re looking for. You don’t have to be a graphic designer or have any advanced technical skills to use Canva. To create your perfect wedding invitation, follow the steps below:
- Go to the Canva website, sign in or open a free account.
- Type “Wedding Invitations” in the search window and click “Enter.” You’ll now see a list of all available wedding invitation templates.
- On the left-hand side of the screen, you’ll see different filter options to narrow down your search. You can select from these or scroll down through the autogenerated list of designs.
- Select a template that you’d like to use by clicking on it. The template will open up in a separate window where you can customize the invitation.
- On the far-left side of the screen, you’ll find the tools to modify the template. Start by clicking “Text,” and then click on the text in the template to select the text block.
- Double click inside the text block to highlight it. Using your keyboard’s delete key, delete the text, and enter the text you’d like. You can do this for all of the available text blocks in the template or click anywhere on the screen to create a new text block.
You also can choose which font you’d like and its size.
To add elements to the invitation:
- Click on “Elements” on the left-hand side of the screen. Here you can add lines, shapes, and graphics. Find specific elements using the search window, if needed.
- Tap on the one you’d like to use. It’ll be placed in the middle of your invitation.
- Resize the element by clicking on its border and dragging it to its desired size. You can move it around by clicking and dragging it to a new location.
To add photos to the invitation:
- Add your personal photos by clicking on “Uploads” on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Click “Upload Media,” navigate to the photo you’d like to use, and double click.
- Once your photo has been uploaded, its thumbnail will appear. Click on it to add it to your design.
- Edit the image as needed in the same way you’d edit an element.
- To continue to modify the invitation, simply click on the tools on the left-hand side of the screen.
To save your design:
- Give it a name by clicking in the window just above your design.
- Select the “Share” button on the top-right of the screen.
- Click “Download” from the drop-down window, and select the file format to save it to your computer.
You can always go back to your design and work on it until it’s just how you want. Canva will automatically save your design on its cloud. To open your design, log in to your account and click “Your Projects” on the left-hand side of the screen. Your design will open where you can continue to customize it.
Additional Design Features
We’ve explained the most basic features and tools to create a wedding invitation with Canva, but there’s so much more you can do with it. Listed below are some of the other features that you can use to design the perfect wedding invitation.
On the left-hand side of the screen, you can click on “Backgrounds” to see the custom backgrounds available. If you are looking for something specific, there’s a search window to help you narrow down your search. Click on the one you like, and it’ll be added to your design.
Please note that there’s a small commission fee to use custom backgrounds if you are using the free version of Canva. You can, however, either pay a small fee or start a free trial of Canva Pro, which unlocks the paid elements.
Just above “Custom Backgrounds,” you’ll see “Photos.” Click here to see the stock photography Canva has for use. You can use the search window to find a specific type of photo or scroll down to see your options. Clicking on the image will add it to your design, and you’ll be able to modify it to your liking.
Add Effects to Text
Other than having control over the font and size of the text, you can also add creative effects. Simply click the text box and select “Effects” at the top of the screen.
To the left, you’ll see various effect options. You can add a shadow, give your text a neon look, or add a background. Here you’ll also have the opportunity to curve your text. To use any of these features, simply click the effect you’d like to use.
If you are looking for something a bit more unique with your text, select the “Text” icon on the left side of the screen. You’ll see a list of available text with a bit more pizzaz.
Find a design that you like and click to have it added to your design. Double-click on it, and you can change the words to whatever you’d like. And just like with Canva’s other features, you can change its size and location.
Your wedding invitations will quickly transform into exactly what you had imagined using these design tools. Each is easy to use. Your only limit is your imagination.
Does Canva offer anything that can help me fully utilize its design tools?
Canva has several free tutorial videos to help you understand and better use all of its tools and functions. There are also tutorials for creating videos, websites, and more. You can find them in Canva’s Design School section.
Have Full Creative Control Over Your Wedding Invitations
With so many templates to choose from, Canva allows you to quickly create a wedding invitation with the exact look you want. Their templates are easily customized, giving you complete artistic control. A nice feature the app has available is the ability to upload a personal photo to add to your design, giving it a personal touch. And with Canva’s free version, you won’t have to purchase anything.
Have you created a wedding invitation with Canva? Did you follow the methods outlined in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.