How to Share a Template in Canva
The template-sharing feature in Canva is a great way to collaborate with others on your artistic designs. Many users have also set up lucrative businesses creating and selling their projects as Canva templates.
Whether you’re hoping to make some money from selling your templates or using templates to share ideas amongst friends, sharing templates is easy. This article will explain everything you need to know.
How to Share a Template From a Desktop
You don’t have to do anything special to make your project into a sharable template. Anything you create in Canva can be easily shared as a project base for someone else. Once you have a design complete and you want to share it as a template, follow the steps below:
- Within the Canva project window, click the “Share” button in the top right corner of the screen.
- In the drop-down menu, you’ll see the options you have used recently. If you see the “Template link” button, click it.
- A box will open with the title “Template link sharing.” Copy the given link and you can share your new template with anyone.
- Copy this link and paste it wherever you want to share the Template: in an email, social media, webpage, etc.
How to Share a Template From a Mobile Device
On mobile devices, you can share a template with two taps and a copy/paste.
- In your design, click the “Share“ icon in the top right corner.
- Swipe until you find the “Template link“ option. Tap it.
- Copy and paste the link where you want to share your template.
How Does Sharing a Template Work
When you share an original design with a template link, a copy is created in the other person’s Canva account. This means they can edit anything they want in the design without changing your original at all.
This feature allows teams to pass a design back and forth and collaborate without destroying anyone’s original work. It also means that if a design catches your eye, you can ask the creator to share that template with you for a head start on making a similar project.
Businesses can share their designs with clients to get feedback without risking the original project’s integrity. And clients can respond with their own ideas in their personal copy built from a template.
Sharing a Design Template With Collaboration
If you’d like others to be able to access your template in real-time, you can invite them into your project as collaborators. This process is different as it shares the actual original design template.
- Open the project you want to use as a template.
- Click the “Share” button.
- Enter the email addresses of everyone you want to invite to participate.
- Choose whether they can edit the design or see it only.
- Click “Send.”
With this feature, multiple people can view and discuss a design, or even alter it if permissions allow.
- Collaborators can leave feedback and comments about the design.
- The “History” option will track changes to preserve the original idea.
- Present your design to the team of collaborators with the “Present” feature.
- Real-time discussion speeds up the design process.
How to Share a Template Publicly
If you don’t want to share your template with particular people, but rather you want everyone to have access to it, you can share it as a Public Link.
- Open your design.
- Tap or click the “Share” icon.
- Choose the “Anyone with the link” option from the menu.
- Click “Copy link.”
Share Templates With Personalized Links
When it’s important to know who is viewing your URL, use a Unique Link for each person or platform. With a Unique Link, the Canva Insights panel will give you statistics telling you how many people viewed the link and how much time they spent there.
- In your current design, click the “More” icon in the menu bar.
- Click “Share link to watch”
- Select “Copy link” to copy and share the Link.
This option isn’t available in the free version of Canva as it’s targeted toward business and educational settings.
How to Change Template Permissions
If you want to change the permissions on a Template, you can do it through the “Share” icon.
- In the design, click “Share.”
- Select “Edit” beside “People with access.”
- Choose the appropriate access for the Template.
Will sharing a Template affect my original design?
No, if you share a design with the Template link, no one who uses it will have access to your original creation.
Do I have to have Pro Canva to share templates?
No, both the free and Pro versions of Canva have this feature built-in.
Is sharing a design the same thing as sharing a template?
No, you can share your original design from Canva by clicking the share button and choosing “Anyone with a link.” You can customize whether people can edit your original, view it, etc. This is different from template sharing.
Why am I seeing unknown users commenting on my design?
If you’re seeing guests that you don’t recognize commenting on your design, you probably created a public link. Change your design permissions to keep this from happening in the future.
Sharing Templates With Canva
When you work hard on a Canva project and produce an excellent design, it’s great to allow others to use it or buy it for their own projects. Some users have built a full-time business designing and selling Canva Templates on social media sites. Sharing templates also makes team collaboration smooth. And you can save a lot of time on your own projects by starting from a Template you like.
Have you ever shared Canva Templates? If so, was it a positive experience? Tell us in the comments section below.