How to Change the Location on an Instagram Post
As an Instagram user, you will know that adding a location to your posts makes them more easily discoverable. Assigning a foreign location to a post helps boost engagement while creating a personalized location makes your business easy to find.
If you want to know how to change the location on your Instagram posts, you have come to the right place. In this article, we look at how to do just that on several different devices. Let’s take a look.
How to Change the Location of an Instagram Post on an iPhone
Editing the location on an Instagram post using your iPhone is straightforward. If you wanted to edit a post to add a location, these are the steps you would take:
- On your Instagram profile, find the post you want to add a location to and tap on it.
- Tap the icon with the three horizontal dots in the top right of the screen.
- Select “Edit.”
- Tap “Add Location.” This option appears under your username.
- You can now search to find a location of your choice or select one of the proposed locations provided by Instagram below the search bar.
- Once you have added your location, tap “Done” in the top right of the screen.
Your post will now save with the chosen location. If you want to change this location, these are the steps you should follow:
- Navigate to the post that you want to change the location for and tap on it.
- Press the three-dot icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Choose “Edit” from the menu.
- Tap on the location name that comes up beneath your username.
- You will be given two options “Change Location” or “Remove Location.” Choose “Change Location.”
- You can now search for the place you want to add in or select from one of the options Instagram provides.
- Once you are happy with your choice, confirm it by tapping “Done.”
How to Change the Location of an Instagram Post on an Android
If you use an Android device, changing the location on an Instagram post takes only a few quick steps. To add a location to an existing post, do this:
- On your Instagram app, navigate to your profile and select the post to which you want to add a location.
- Tap on the icon with the three vertical dots and select “Edit” from the menu that appears.
- Select the blue highlighted “Add Location” option that appears under your username.
- You can now either search for a location or choose one from the proposed locations provided by Instagram. (Usually, these suggested options are locations near to where you currently are.)
- When you are satisfied, click the blue check icon in the top right corner of the screen.
Your post now has a location added to it. If you later decide to change this to reflect someplace else, you would follow these steps:
- Head to your profile page and open the post you want to change the location for by tapping on it once.
- Select the icon in the top right corner of the screen that has three vertical dots.
- Choose “Edit.”
- Tap on the existing location that sits under your username (it will be displayed in blue.)
- Search for a location or select one of the locations suggested by Instagram in the menu below the search bar.
- Confirm your choice by tapping the blue check at the top of the screen.
How to Change the Location of an Instagram Post on a PC
Instagram on your PC offers limited interaction. You can view posts, like, and even comment on them. View people’s stories, send private messages, and even save those images you like the most. What the web version of Instagram won’t allow you to do is upload or edit posts.
Unfortunately, changing or adding a location to an Instagram post is part of the list of things you can’t do. If you want to amend the location of your post, you will need to do it via the mobile app.
Can I Create My Own Custom Location for Instagram?
Yes, you can. The location tag you create could be for anywhere, such as your business address. Or you could create a fictional place and create a tag for there too, for example, “My House.” To do this, you will need to use both Facebook and Instagram, as they are interlinked and owned by the same company. Creating a custom location on Instagram is simple and requires only a few steps:
1. Launch your Facebook app and sign in.
2. Create a post by tapping on “What’s on your mind.”
3. Select “Check In.”
4. In the search bar, type the name of the location you want to create. If a location with the same name already exists, you will need to change yours slightly to make yours unique.
5. Press “Search” or “Done.”
6. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap “Add [Name of your location].”
7. Fill in the “Place name,” “Address,” and “City,” and then tap “Save Custom Place.”
8. You can now navigate out of Facebook.
The next step is to use this location in Instagram:
1. Open your Instagram app.
2. Navigate to the post you want to change the location on and tap on it to open it.
3. Click the three-dot icon at the top right of the screen and choose “Edit.”
4. Select the existing location under your username.
5. In the search bar, type in the name of the new location you have just created on Facebook.
6. When it comes up, tap it to select it.
7. Tap “Done.”
You have now added your custom location to your Instagram post.
Which Location Is Best for Engagement on Instagram?
Now that you know how to change the location of your Instagram posts, you may be considering which ones to use. If you want to increase the traffic to your posts, it is better to use locations that users frequently explore and have a high tag rate. Some of these include London, Italy, Paris, New York, California, Los Angeles, and France.
New Location Set
Changing the location on your Instagram posts becomes quick and easy once you know how. The benefits of doing this are numerous, especially if you are an influencer or run an Instagram business account.
By following the simple steps in this article, you will soon be changing locations like a pro. Now all you need to consider is which location to choose.
Have you changed the location of your Instagram posts before? Did you use a process similar to those provided in this guide? Or, did you use a different method? Let us know in the comments section below.