How to Change Your Name in Discord
Your username is important on Discord. It’s how you present yourself to other people on the app, stand out from the crowd, and create a buzz around your profile. No wonder many users decide they want to change theirs at some point.
If you want to change your name in Discord, you’re in the right place. In this article, we’ll tell you everything you need to know.
How to Change Name on a Windows Discord App
You should always try and pick an interesting name that best describes you. If you fell short the first time around, don’t worry. It’s something that can be easily fixed.
Changing your Discord name on a Windows is a quick task that involves the following steps:
- Open the “Settings” tab in Discord.
- Go to the “My Account” tab.
- Click “Edit.”
- Next, change the existing name into the new one of your choice.
- Enter your password.
- Press “Done.”
Now your account name should be changed to the desired one.
Note: The username can be changed up to two times per hour.
How to Change Name on a Mac
Discord use isn’t limited only to Windows. It can be used on multiple platforms including Mac. That said, the app itself is similar and also allows you to change your username with ease.
- Go to “Settings.”
- Open the “My Account” tab.
- Go to “Edit.”
- Enter the desired name into the required box.
- Type your password.
- Click “Done.”
That’s all there is to it. You have now changed your username.
How to Change Name on an Android Device
Changing the username with an Android device is also straightforward and involves just a few steps.
- Open Discord.
- Tap your profile icon, located on the app’s bottom bar.
- Tap “My Account.”
- Go to “Username.”
- In the “Edit Username,” tap on the username and type in the new one.
- Press “Save.”
That’s it. You can now use Discord with the newly changed name.
How to Change Name on iPhone
Similar to the previous processes, changing the username in Discord on an iPhone is relatively straightforward. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open the Discord app.
- Open the profile icon, located in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Tap on “Account.”
- Tap on “Username.”
- Type the new name in the field under “Username.”
- Go to “Save.”
Now, you finally have the desired name on your Discord account.
How to Set/Change Your Nickname on a Discord Server on Desktop
While your username is the same for each Discord server, your nickname doesn’t have to be. You can give yourself a different nickname for each server. This lets you jump from character to character and offers an unlimited number of possibilities.
To set or change your nickname, you can do so by following these steps:
- Open the Discord Desktop app.
- Choose the server on the Discord left sidebar where you wish to assign a new nickname for yourself.
- From the newly opened drop-down menu, select “Edit Server Profile.”
- Access the “Nickname” field and enter the desired nickname instead of the existing one.
- Go to “Save changes”.
You have now successfully changed a nickname for a desired server. If you want to make further changes, just repeat the process for each of the servers.
Note: To modify a nickname on a server, you need to have a role that allows it or ask for permission., you need to have a role that allows it or ask for permission. Server owners or administrators are the ones in authority. Therefore, if you want to change your name, they’re the people to ask.
How to Set/Change Your Nickname on a Discord Server on Mobile Devices
Changing your Discord nickname on a mobile app, whether an iOS or Android-run device, is a simple task. All you need to do is follow these steps:
- Open the Discord.
- Go to the left sidebar and select the server where you wish to modify your nickname.
- Go to three dots next to the server’s name.
- Edit “Edit Server Profile.”
- Select the “Nickname” field and enter the nickname of your choice.
- Choose the “Save” button and there you go.
Your nickname is now set the way you like it.
How to Set/Change Your Nickname Using a Slash Command in the Text Channel
If you’re after quick solutions, slash commands are the thing for you. This way, you can make a quick change to your nickname with a simple command while typing.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Type “/nick John” (instead of John, use the nickname of your choice) and send it to your text channel.
Now your nickname should be fresh and new.
How to Change Other People’s Nicknames on Discord on Desktop
This option isn’t available to everyone. You need to be a server owner or an admin with “Manage Nicknames” permission to perform it. If you have those permissions, here’s what you need to do:
- Open the Discord app.
- Click on the “Show Member List” icon.
- To change the nickname of a user, right-click on their name.
- Click on “Change Nickname.”
- Type in the new nickname.
- Press “Save.”
The desired nickname is now changed.
How to Change Other People’s Nicknames on Discord on Mobile Devices
Changing someone else’s nickname on Discord also requires proper “Manage Nicknames” permission. Here are the steps to follow:
- Open the Discord.
- Access the channel on your server by opening it.
- Click the three dots next to the server’s name.
- Tap te “Setting” icon.
- Scroll down and click “Member” on the list.
- To change the nickname of a user, tap on their name.
- Type in a new nickname.
The new nickname is now set.
General information about Discord usernames and nicknames:
- Discord usernames serve as unique identifiers for logging into the system. Users create them and can change them whenever they like. A username is universal and remains the same on all servers. It can’t be modified per-server and is displayed on every server the user joins.
- Nicknames, on the other hand, are unique to each server and can be changed freely by users as long as they comply with the server’s rules. Nicknames only apply to the specific server and do not alter a username across other servers or the platform as a whole. Other users on the same server can see a user’s nickname, but users outside the server can only see their username.
- In addition to usernames and nicknames, Discord offers users the ability to customize their appearance by role. Server owners and administrators can assign roles with specific permissions and color-coded tags to users. These tags are displayed next to the usernames and nicknames of users and help distinguish between various server members.
How do I pick a unique username for my Discord account?
The best way is to be creative and figure out what best represents you. If you’re not in the mood for that or just want a quick yet good solution, Discord name generators are the answer. One of the better options is Instausername.com.
Does changing my username change it for each server on Discord?
Yes, it does. If you change your username, it will be displayed on each server without exceptions. If you want to change your name only on a specific server, you may need to modify your nickname for that server.
Will my old username still be visible to others after I change it?
No, once you change your username on Discord, your old username will no longer be visible to others. However, it’s important to note that your old messages in channels and direct messages will still display your old username.
Can I use any name I want on Discord?
You can use any name you want on Discord, just as long as it doesn’t violate Discord’s Terms of Service. For example, you aren’t allowed to use names that are offensive, abusive, or impersonate someone else.
Are there any restrictions on usernames on Discord?
Usernames on Discord have to be between 2 and 32 characters long, and can contain most valid Unicode characters. However, they can’t contain the following substrings: @, #, :, “`, discord. Also, your username can’t be „everyone“ or „here“.
Can I change my Discord username color?
Although it would be fun, this isn’t an option on Discord. Your username color is determined by your role on a server or by your Nitro subscription status.
Will changing my username affect my Discord Nitro subscription?
No worries. Changing your username on Discord won’t affect your Discord Nitro subscription.
Don’t Hesitate to Make a Change
Changing your name or nickname on Discord is a quick and easy process that can be done in just a few simple steps. If you’re unhappy with your current Discord name, don’t hesitate to make a change. Remember, you username is often the first thing a person sees when they’re interacting with you. Who knows what great things might come from it?
How frequently do you change your Discord username? How hard was it for you to select the ideal username? Let us know in the comments section below.