How to Edit a YouTube Video from a PC or Smartphone
YouTube makes it a breeze to upload videos. All it takes is logging into YouTube, selecting a video from your library, and hitting that “Upload” button. But one of the keys to a successful YouTube video is good editing. So, how exactly do you edit a video so it looks more professional and gets views?
If you’re wondering what makes for good video editing, you landed on the right page. This article explains how to edit YouTube videos across devices. We’ll provide basic instructions and suggest third-party apps for professional video editing for iPhone, Android, Windows, Mac, and Chromebook users.
How to Edit a YouTube Video on the iPhone
iPhone users can do much more with their videos than simply uploading them to YouTube. The YouTube app for iOS devices lets them trim videos and add filters for more enhanced aesthetics.
Here’s how to use the basic YouTube app features on an iPhone.
Add Filters to YouTube Videos on iPhone
Do you want to adjust the colors in your video or add a specific filter? Then follow the steps below.
- Launch the YouTube app and select the “Camera” icon from the top.
- Upload a video from your gallery and select the “Filter” icon from the bottom.
- You’ll see a list of available filters. Tap on the one you like to see a preview.
- Hit “Next” after you select a filter.
- Add a video title and set the location and privacy settings.
- Hit “Upload.”
Edit the Posted YouTube Video on iPhone
Have you already uploaded a video on YouTube and realized you need to fix the title or the description? You can do so by logging into YouTube using a browser (not the app!).
- Select your profile picture from the top right-hand of the screen.
- Go to “Your channel,” then “Your videos.”
- Select the three-dotted menu next to the video you wish to edit.
- Select “Edit” and make the necessary changes.
- Finally, hit “Save.”
Add Music to a YouTube Video
Does your video need background music? If so, you can add it via the iMovie app. Use the provided link to download the app if you haven’t done so already. Once you launch the app, follow the steps below:
- Select “Create Project,” then “Movie.”
- Select a video from the library.
- Tap on the plus sign and select the song you want to use.
- Proceed to upload the video on YouTube.
Note that due to the copyright policy, you can only use music you have the rights for or permission to use. You can choose from iMovie’s and YouTube’s royalty-free music program, or get familiar with music licensing.
Third-Party Video Editing Apps for iPhone
If you’re looking for advanced video editing options, you may want to consider downloading a third-party app. Here’s our selection of the best ones for iPhone users.
This app lets you select a video from your library and choose a theme, design, and music for it. You can add overlays, filters, transitions, and visual elements. It also comes with basic functions like trimming, splitting, rotating and cropping the video. The app is free to download but has in-app purchases.
KineMaster is one of the best video editing apps for smartphones currently on the market. It lets you create amazing YouTube videos by adding layers, stickers, rich filters, audio effects, and much more. It even supports 4K video editing. You can use the free version, but your videos will contain the KineMaster watermark. You’ll have to subscribe to remove the watermark.
How to Edit a YouTube Video on an Android
YouTube makes it effortless to upload a video from your Android gallery to YouTube. But how can you edit one? We’ll explain that below.
Edit YouTube Videos Using the YouTube App on Android
- Log into your YouTube account and tap on the small icon showing your profile.
- Scroll through your videos and tap on the three vertical dots next to the video you want to edit.
- Edit the video however you like. Change the description, title, or add effects.
- Save your edits by tapping on the forward arrow icon.
- Wait for the changes to take effect.
Use Third-Party Apps
To add more enhanced features to your YouTube videos, you may want to use third-party apps. Here’s our selection of the three best apps for YouTube video editing for Android.
Vlogit is a pro video editing app that lets you rotate, trim, add video effects, animated texts, filters, and overlays to YouTube videos. The user-friendly interface makes it easy to navigate through the app and make the necessary edits. It’s a free app to download, and you can do so here.
Kinemaster Pro Video Editor is one of the best apps for editing YouTube videos. You can add layers such as picture-in-picture effects, adjust the color and brightness, trim, or tweak the speed of the video. The app also lets you upload a video directly to YouTube once you finish editing.
Adobe Premiere Rush
If you’re into creating automatic clips with soundtracks and images or drag and drop clips, you can do so with Adobe Premiere Rush. This app also lets you adjust video and audio speed, combine clips, add soundtracks, reframe, add color filters, and much more.
How to Edit a YouTube Video on a Windows PC
If you’re a Windows PC user, chances are you already have Windows Movie Maker installed on your device. This is probably the best app to use to edit YouTube videos. Here’s how to use it:
- Import the video to Windows Movie Maker by clicking on “Add Videos or Photos.”
- Use the preview box to preview the video. Remove or trim the parts you don’t need by locating the start frame you wish to remove in the storyboard and clicking “Split.” Do the same for the end frame and click “Split” again.
- Right-click on the split video clip you wish to remove and click “Remove.”
- Add transitions from the “Animations” section at the top of the screen.
- Add visual effects, filters, and overlays in the “Visual Effects” section.
- Mute the audio in the clip by double-clicking the video clip and entering the “Edit” panel. Once you’re there, select the “Video Volume” button and mute the audio.
Feel free to explore other options that let you add a title, import new audio, record narration, and more.
If you’re into professional video editing for YouTube, you may want to consider DaVinci Resolve 17 or Adobe Premiere Pro. These apps are packed with robust features allowing you to edit transcripts, generate captions, label colors, create professional films, fusions, and much more.
How to Edit a YouTube Video on a Mac
Are you looking for simple tools to edit a YouTube video on a Mac? If so, iMovie may be your go-to solution. If you’re a Mac user, you most likely already have the app installed on your device. Here’s an overview of how to use it:
- Select the video from your Mac and add it to iMovie.
- Once you add a video to iMovie, it will create an Event in the app.
- Enhance the video by adding text, credits, transitions, and other tools.
- Export the video to YouTube by clicking on the “Share” button.
Third-Party Video Editing Apps for Mac
If you’re looking for a better way to edit YouTube videos on Mac, you may want to go with third-party apps. Filmora is an excellent choice for beginners. It features over 300 video effects for different video themes, and it lets you add credit, layers, overlays, and other effects.
Adobe Premier Pro is also a great option if you already have some experience in YouTube video editing. They also have a Premier Rush version for beginners that will make it easier to grasp the basics.
Finally, Final Cut Pro is the best app for complex YouTube video editing work. It does come at a price, though, but if you’re into serious editing, you may want to consider this software.
How to Edit a YouTube Video on a Chromebook
You can use high-quality video editing software to edit your YouTube videos on Chromebook. Here’s a brief overview of the best ones along with their functions.
The best app for Linux running OS is kdenlive. This open-source video editor allows you to manage several videos at once, edit any video format, add layers, titles, rotate the video, add images, templates, and more. There are many effects and transitions so that you can experiment until you find the desired effect.
WeVideo is an easy-to-use video editing platform that’s packed with editing tools and requires no download. Add sound effects, emojis, or animated text to a video with a single click and play with themes and transitions to add a professional touch to your videos. Learn more about WeVideo by visiting the official website.
YouTube Video Editing Made Easy
Editing a YouTube video can be a challenging task. If you’re an iPhone or Android user, you can use the app for basic functions. However, adding layers, playing with color and transitions, cropping the video, and other advanced techniques require some third-party app help. In this article, we provided you with enough resources to edit YouTube videos across devices.
Which video editing app from this article did you find best? What type of video editing tools do you need for your videos? Share your experiences in the comments below.