How To Forward a Text Message on the iPhone
Many iPhone users run into trouble when they want to forward a message. Whether you’re trying to transfer a message to another of your iOS devices or to a friend’s device, it might seem like the feature doesn’t work. However, there are ways to solve this issue. Keep on reading to find out how to forward a message from an iPhone.
Forward Text Message iPhone X, 11, 12, 13
In the Messages app for iPhone, there are two ways to send the same message to numerous individuals without forming a group chat. When using the forwarding feature, just press and hold the message you want to send. The copy and paste feature may be activated in the same way. However, there are some steps you need to take before you can do so.
- Launch Messages from the home screen of your iPhone to forward a message.
- Type the name of the first recipient and then touch “Send a message,” or you may search for a message from someone else and tap “Forward.”
- Afterward, press and hold the message bubble in which you delivered the message.
- A pop-up menu will appear giving you two options – “Copy” or “More…” Select “More…”
- Tap on the arrow symbol in the lower right corner of your screen to forward the message.
- The message you want to forward will show up in the text of a new message thread. Specify the person you want to forward the message to by entering their name, phone number, or email address here.
- Tap “Send.”
Copy and Paste
- Launch Messages from the home screen of your iPhone.
- Choose the text you want to copy and paste. The black pop-up menu displays when you press and hold the message for a few seconds. Tap “Copy” and the message will be saved to the clipboard of your iPhone.
- Open a new message thread and choose who to send the copied text message to.
- Double-tap the text box in the thread’s text area.
- Press “Paste.”
- Tap “Send”
To avoid having to go back and forth between the original message and the copied message, the copied message will remain in your phone’s clipboard until you copy anything else. If you’re using an app that allows you to text, like WhatsApp, Instagram DM or Facebook Messenger, you can copy and paste a message from your Messages app.
Forwarding Message From iPhone to Mac
You can send and receive SMS text messages from your Mac directly from the Messages application, thanks to OS X 10.10 Mavericks’ Continuity feature. There is no need to switch between devices when replying, and this saves time. Additionally, using a full-size Mac keyboard can help you write lengthier texts more rapidly.
The iPhone must have iOS 8 or later and the Mac must be running OS X 10.10 (Mavericks). Moreover, the same iMessage account must be used on your iPhone and the Messages app on your Mac. Here’s how:
- Open the Messages app on your Mac, then select “Preferences” from the menu bar.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone and go to “Messages” then “Send & Receive”
- Go to “YOU CAN BE REACHED BY IMAGE AT” to make sure your phone number and email address are both selected.
- Open the iPhone’s text message settings again, click “Send and Receive” then “Text Message Forwarding.”
- Choose the device you wish to receive texts on.
- Look at your Mac’s Messages app. You’ll receive a pop-up to verify your identity using a security code. To approve the forwarded message, enter this code into your iPhone.
- You can now send and receive SMS messages on your Mac after successfully inputting the verification code.
Also, with Handoff active, if you copy a message on your iPhone and link it to your iPad, you may paste it there as well.
Forward Text Message iPhone 6, 7, 8
You can also forward messages using an iPhone 6, 7, or 8. However, to forward messages directly to your Mac, your iPhone needs to have iOS 8. Let’s go through the steps.
- Launch Messages from your iPhone’s home screen.
- Either input the initial recipient’s name and then type out a message, or search for a message from another sender to forward.
- Press and hold the message bubble.
- A pop-up menu will open offering two options: “Copy” or “More…” Choose “More…”
- To forward the message, tap on the arrow sign in the lower right corner of your screen.
- The message you wish to forward will appear in a new message thread’s content. Enter the recipient’s name, phone number, or email address here.
- Click “Send.”
Copy & Paste
- From your iPhone’s home screen, launch Messages.
- Select the text to copy and paste. When you press and hold the message for a few seconds, the black pop-up menu appears.
- Tap “Copy” to save the message to your iPhone’s clipboard.
- Create a new message thread and choose the recipient of the copied text message.
- In the thread’s text area, double-tap the text box.
- Choose “Paste.”
- Tap the “Send” button.
Forward Messages From iPhone to Mac
Keep in mind that your iPhone has to have iOS 8 or later.
- On your Mac, launch the Messages program and then pick “Preferences” from the menu bar.
- On your iPhone, open the Settings app and navigate to “Messages” then “Send & Receive.”
- Tap “Text Message Forwarding.”
- Select the device that you want to receive the forwarded messages on.
- Open the Messages program on your Mac. You’ll see a pop-up window asking you to authenticate your identity with a security code. Enter this code into your iPhone.
- After successfully entering the verification code, you may now send and receive SMS messages on your Mac.
Never Type the Same Message Twice Again
With these handy methods, you won’t have to type the same message again and again, and you won’t have to create group chats.
One restriction of text forwarding is that although it copies the information into a new text message, the recipient does not see the original sender or any responses to the text – whatever you forward appears to originate from you. If you wish to show a whole conversation, you may do so by screenshotting the exchange and sharing the image. Of course, you should always ask the person you had the conversation with for permission to do this.
Have you ever forwarded a message using an iPhone? Which approach do you think is the best to forward a message? Share your thoughts in the comment section below!
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.