How to Get Money Back in the Cash App
With the Cash App mobile payment service, you can conveniently send, receive, spend, and invest money in just a few taps. Similar to shopping with cash or a regular debit or credit card, if you need a refund for a purchase or mistakenly sent money to the wrong account, it’s possible to get the funds returned to your Cash App account.
Read on to learn the various ways to get the money refunded to your account and tips on keeping your account safe.
How to Get a Refund on Cash App
Transferring money via Cash App happens in a flash. You can get a refund from a payment you mistakenly made by requesting it from the recipient. There’s no guarantee that they’ll refund the money, but it’s worth a try:
- Open Cash App.
- At the bottom right corner, press the clock icon.
- Tap on the transaction for which you want the refund.
- At the top right corner, press the three-dotted icon.
- Select the “Refund” option.
- Click “OK” to confirm.
Alternatively, if you’re unsuccessful in asking the merchant directly, you could try calling the Cash App Customer Support. Follow these steps to do so:
- Dial +1 (845) 477-5160.
- Wait for a Cash App rep to answer.
- Let them know your situation and that you were unsuccessful in asking the recipient directly.
Cash App customer support will try their best to get your money refunded but ultimately are not obliged to.
How to File a Cash App Dispute
If the two methods above didn’t work, you might have the option to file a dispute. Follow these steps on Cash App to initiate the process:
- Open Cash App and press the “Activity” tab via the home screen.
- Select the transaction, then press the three-dotted icon in the top right.
- Choose the “Need Help & Cash App Support” option.
- Press “Dispute this Transaction.”
The Cash App team will examine your claim, and they may file a dispute with the card network. The merchant will be allowed some time to review the transaction. After finalizing their investigation, Cash App will notify you of their decision.
How to Keep Your Cash App Account Protected
Like similar cash apps, fraudsters often attempt to gain customer account information to steal money. As well as helping you to get your money back in this scenario, Cash App wants to help you prevent fraud on your account. Next, we’ll go over the best ways to stay safe while using Cash App.
Signing In and Out of Cash App
Each time you log in to Cash App, you’ll receive a one-time-use sign-in code. If, for example, you receive an unwanted sign-in code by email, Cash App recommends that you secure the email address linked to your account. You can change your password as well as enable two-factor authentication if your email provider supports it.
If you log in to your account via a different device, be certain that you’ve signed out once you’re done.
Enable Payment Verification
Ensure that your device requests a PIN or Touch ID before you can make a payment. Here’s how:
- Open the Cash App and select your profile icon via the home screen.
- Choose “Privacy & Security.”
- Select the “Security Lock” setting to enable it.
- Enter your PIN or Touch ID.
Enable Push Notifications
To receive a notification through email or text following a Cash App payment, you can allow “Push Notifications.” Here’s how:
- Launch the Cash App and select your profile icon via the home screen.
- Press “Notifications,” then tap the “Push Notification” checkbox to enable it.
How to Be Wary of Scams and Phishing Attempts
Here are some pointers on how to recognize scam attempts:
- Generally, any talk of free money in exchange for a small payment is usually a scam. If it sounds too good to be true, it often will be.
- Only respond to emails sent from organizations and people you know. Cash emails are sent from @cash.app, @square.com, or @squareup.com.
- Emails sent from the App Team or Square will only contain websites links to the following domains: cash.app, cash.me, squareup.com, or square.com. If you receive an email containing links to different websites, Square has NOT sent it.
- The Cash App Support Team will never ask you to:
- provide your sign-in code, PIN, or Social Security Number
- make a purchase or send a payment
- download any app for remote access
- complete a test transaction
For more advice on avoiding scams when using Cash App, tap or click here.
Getting Your Cash Back in Cash App
Whenever you make a transaction using Cash App, it happens instantly. If you need a refund for a purchase or mistakenly sent money to the wrong account, it can be a long-winded process. There are also no guarantees that you’ll get it back at all. However, a refund is not impossible. Cash App supports refund requests and transaction disputes, and the team does all they can to help return your money to your account.
What do you find most convenient about using Cash App? Tell us about it in the comments section below.