How to Get Tax Documents from Coinbase
The topic of taxes and cryptocurrency is often met with confusion. Coinbase makes the complicated world of taxes a tad easier to navigate by providing you with the necessary tax documents. You can download all the forms and reports you’ll need with just a few clicks.
Read on to learn how to get the tax documents and other kinds of reports you might need from Coinbase.
How to Get Your Tax Documents
Coinbase decided to help out its user base by providing a lot of information regarding the issue of crypto taxes on its dedicated Taxes page. Besides learning about the taxability of different Coinbase activities, you can also directly get your documents both on your PC and in the mobile app.
Find Them on Desktop
To download your tax documents on your desktop, follow these steps:
- Go to the Coinbase website and log in.
- Click your profile icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select the “Taxes” option.
You’ll be taken to the Taxes page mentioned above, where you can get informed, set up your preferences, and download your documents.
- Find the “Documents” tab at the top.
- Scroll down to find the document you need.
- Click the “Download” button and wait until it loads.
Your IRS document, if applicable, will be right at the top, and you can get it in PDF, while your reports are available both in CSV and PDF. You can also generate the particular report you need by clicking the “Generate Report” button in the Tax Reports box. Select the details, click generate, and wait until the document finishes pending.
Note: Remember that these reports only include your Coinbase activity, not Coinbase Pro. If you also use Coinbase Pro, be sure to get your documents for that separately.
Use the App
You can also get the tax documents you’ll need through the Coinbase app. Here’s how to find them:
- Launch the Coinbase iOS or Android app and make sure you’re logged in.
- Tap the hamburger menu in the top left corner of the screen.
- Tap the “Profile & Settings” button right at the top.
- In the “Account” section, find the “Taxes” option.
- At the top of the screen, find the “Documents” tab.
You’ll be able to download all your documents directly from this page by tapping the Download button next to each document. On iOS, you’ll find the downloaded documents in your Files app, while on Android, look in File Manager.
Check Your Mailbox
When tax season is approaching, you may also find something tucked into your mailbox. Coinbase sends out the appropriate form both to its users and to IRS in paper form as well. Unless you choose the paperless option in your Preferences, you’ll be mailed the IRS form if your activity fulfills the criteria.
How to Get Transaction History
You can also download a document of your transaction history on Coinbase. To do so on your PC, follow these steps:
- Go to Coinbase and sign in.
- Click your icon in the top right corner and select “Reports.”
- Look for the blue “Generate Report” button.
- Adjust the details of your report.
- Click “Generate Report” by the file format in which you want your report.
- Wait until the generation is complete, then click the blue “Download” button.
How to Get Reports in Coinbase Pro
Since your Coinbase tax documents only include your Coinbase activity, you’ll need to get your Coinbase Pro documents separately. Follow these steps on your PC to obtain your report:
- Go to Coinbase Pro and sign in to your account.
- Find your profile icon in the top right corner and click the arrow next to it.
- Find “Statements” in the dropdown menu. This will take you to a new page.
- Click the “Generate” button in the right corner
- Select “Account” from the dropdown menu.
- Edit the details in the popup window as needed and select the file format you want.
- Enter your email address and click “Generate Report.”
The report will be sent to your email address shortly. If you want to get your Coinbase Pro report on your mobile phone, you’ll need to use your mobile browser to open the Coinbase Pro website.
You can also access your Coinbase Pro statements on Coinbase:
- Go to Coinbase, log in, and click your profile icon.
- Click “Taxes” and then “Documents.”
- Scroll until you see the Coinbase Pro Statements section under your Coinbase reports.
Get the Tax Documents You Need
If you have taxable Coinbase activity, take advantage of how easy this app makes it to get your tax documents. Follow the instructions outlined above, and you’ll have all your files in seconds.
Is this going to be your first time doing crypto taxes, or are you a seasoned veteran? Let us know in the comments section below.