How to stream VLC Player to Chromecast
VLC Player is, and will probably always be, the best free way to watch media files and DVDs on your computer or Android phone. However, if you use it as your default player, you’ll already know that it currently doesn’t support Chromecast on PC or Android.
Worry not, because you can use VLC player to watch media and have it cast over to your TV via Chromecast – it just takes a bit of fiddling first.
How to stream VLC Player to Chromecast from PC
To stream content from the VLC player to your Chromecast device you’ll first need to check the software version that you are running. If you haven’t downloaded a VLC player to your Mac or PC, go ahead and do that by visiting their website.
For those who already have the VLC Player, open the application and head to the help menu. Once there click ‘About’ and ensure that you’re running version 3 or later. This is when the option to stream to Chromecast was added.
To begin streaming do this:
- Tap Playback in the upper left-hand corner.
- Tap Renderer.
- Tap on Chromecast from the list of devices.
- Once connected choose the ‘Media’ menu in the upper left-hand corner.
- Choose the file where your desired content is located. You can select one file or several.
If you don’t see Chromecast in your list of available devices check that both your computer and your Chromecast are on the same wifi network.
How to stream VLC Player to Chromecast from Android
While VLC Player for Android will eventually come with Chromecast support, it currently doesn’t. This means you’re left with one of two options: a) find an alternative Android video player that does stream to Chromecast (of which there are many), or b) do it the long-winded, battery-draining way because you really have to use VLC Player.
If the latter option is your preference, here’s how to go about doing it.
- Install the Chromecast app on your Android device and pair your Chromecast to it.
- Open VLC Player and start the file you want to cast.
- Open the Chromecast app.
- Tap the menu button and select Cast screen/audio.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to cast your device’s screen to your Chromecast.
- Go back to VLC Player and fullscreen the video and voila you’re done!