How to Change the Creator in GroupMe
GroupMe is the perfect platform for all sorts of tasks, such as organizing family group events, work partnerships, and event planning. To communicate with other users involved in your project, you need to set up a group. If you’re the one who created the group, you will be its owner. But in case you want to leave the workplace and hand it over to someone else, knowing how to transfer group ownership will come in handy.
In this entry, we’ll show you how to change the owner of GroupMe groups.
How to Change Creator on GroupMe
You can designate another owner of your group both in the GroupMe web version and the app. Only the current owner can do this, and here’s how the process works:
- Go to the GroupMe app or the web browser version and enter your login information.
- Check if the future owner is a member of your group.
- Choose the group, press the list of members, and pick your new owner.
- Press the “Make Owner” button. Another option is to go to the “Settings,” choose the “Change Owner” option and select one from the participants’ list. Once the new owner has been appointed, you can’t undo the change.
Can You Chat With GroupMe?
You can chat using GroupMe. One of your options is creating a group and texting with its members:
• Go to the “Chats” section and press the “New chat” symbol. If you’re an iPad user and you can’t see the “New chat” symbol, hit the “Chat” button in the upper part of your screen.
• Add your members by typing their name, email, phone number or selecting them in your GroupMe contacts.
• Modify your join request options. This is an optional step.
• Hit the checkmark or the “Done” button to create the group.
How Do I Create a GroupMe Account?
Setting up your GroupMe account is simple and won’t take you too long:
• Head to the register page.
• Enter your phone number.
• Enter your name that will serve as your username. It will be shown as your GroupMe nickname. You can type in an email address the app can use to get in touch with you.
• Hit “Sign Up” to agree to them and set up your account.
How Do I Change the Group Avatar on GroupMe?
GroupMe allows you to change your group avatar. Take the following steps to make this customization:
• Open the app and find the group whose avatar you wish to change.
• Press the current avatar.
• Choose the “Edit Group Details” option.
• Hit the “Edit Photo” button. Here, users can take new photos, search for one, or choose an image from their computer.
• Once the new photo is selected, press the checkmark in the lower part of your screen.
Can You Leave a GroupMe You Created?
Leaving a GroupMe group you created works slightly different to removing yourself from a group where you’re just a member. Here’s what you need to do:
• Start the app and find the group you wish to exit.
• Click or tap the group avatar.
• Press the “Settings” button, represented by the gear icon. If you’re using an iPad, strike the “Settings” button in the upper part of your screen.
• If you’re the group creator, you’ll first have to hit the “Change Owner” option, pick the next owner, and press “Yes.”
• You’ll now see the “Leave Group” option. Press it, and you’ll successfully leave your group.
How Do I Remove an Owner From GroupMe?
Unfortunately, you can’t remove an owner from GroupMe groups. Only the owners can remove themselves from the group. But before that, they need to transfer their ownership onto another member of the group:
• Find your group from the “Chat” section.
• Hit the group’s avatar and press the “Settings” button.
• Choose the “Change Owner” option.
• Pick the next owner from your participants’ list.
• Strike the “Yes” button to name the member the new owner of your group.
The previous owner can now leave the group without ending it.
How Do I Change My Name on GroupMe?
Here’s how changing your name on GroupMe works:
• Press your current profile picture (your avatar).
• Click or tap the pencil symbol.
• Enter the new name and click away from the profile. Your name has now been successfully changed.
How Do You Remove Yourself From GroupMe?
If you’ve decided to leave one of your GroupMe groups, this is what you need to do:
• Open the app and press the group’s avatar.
• Hit the “Settings” symbol.
• Browse the list and hit the “Leave This Group” option.
• If you’re running SMS messaging, type the “#exit” message to your group number. Also, send the “#STOP” command to the group numbers or GroupMe shortcode to stop future text messages.
Another way to terminate the SMS service is to go to GroupMe’s website:
• Log in with your username and password.
• Click or tap your avatar.
• Choose the “Profile” option.
• Press the “Stop SMS Service” button and hit “OK.”
Being the owner of a GroupMe group comes with a set of responsibilities. One of them is transferring the ownership before you leave the group, and now you know how to perform this task. It allows you to exit the group peacefully, without closing the group for all other members.
How many groups on GroupMe do you own? Have you left any of them? Did you have trouble with ownership transfer? Let us know in the comments section below.