How to Add a Border to a Photo
There are numerous ways you can add a border to a photo. Moreover, it is a pretty simple way to add a classier feel to your images. It can be done on PC, Android devices, and iPhones using different software.
So, keep reading if you want to make your picture pop or give it a physical vibe with an old-fashioned frame. In this article, you can find borders to pictures using different programs and devices.
How to Add a Border to a Photo in Photoshop
Photoshop is one of the most popular programs used for editing. Its popularity is due to its powerful tools and editing options. So, it’s no surprise that it’s often used for designing as well.
Thus, adding a border to a photo in Photoshop is not only possible but also relatively easy. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the image to which you wish to add a border.
- Make the Background layer visible.
- Increase the canvas’s size by navigating to “Image” and then “Canvas Size” or simply press Alt + Ctrl + C.
- Verify that the “Relative checkbox” is ticked, add 1 inch to “Width & Height,” and then click “OK.”
- Make a border layer by creating a new layer and sliding it beneath your photo layer.
- Fill the border with a solid color by selecting the border layer and filling it with any color you like.
If you’re new to Photoshop, you may not know how to make the Background visible. By default, when you open a picture in Photoshop, it opens as a locked background layer. Simply click on the lock symbol in the layer panel to unlock the layer.
You can add a smaller border behind your first one for a more classical framed look. To do so, just follow these steps:
- Choose the photo layer from the layer panel and click the “Add a layer style” button.
- Choose “stroke.”
- Tick the stroke checkbox and modify the stroke parameters as follows in the Layer Style window:
- Position: Inside
- Color: set to the color you want
Now, you can also add textures to your border.
- In the Layer Panel, create a new layer.
- Select the new layer.
- Open the Paint Bucket tool by going to “Menu” then “Paint Bucket” tool or press the G key.
- Change the property of the “Paint Bucket” tool to “Pattern.”
- Select a pattern you like and fill the frame with it.
How to Add a Border to a Photo in Canva
Canva is a very user-friendly design tool, and it’s a favorite for adding different borders and frames to pictures. Moreover, there is a variety of pre-made borders to choose from. Follow these steps to add a border to an image in Canva:
- Create a new design or open an existing one.
- From the side panel, click the “Elements” tab.
- Enter “borders” in the search bar. To see the results, press the Enter or Return key on your keyboard.
- To incorporate a border into your design, click on it.
- Duplicate a chosen element by pressing CMD+D (Mac) or CTRL+D (Windows).
Premium borders are denoted by a dollar sign or little crown icon. With a Canva Pro or Canva for Enterprise membership, you can access an expanded collection of premium components.
If you like a border from a specific contributor, you can view more of their designs by hovering over an element in the editor’s side panel. Select the three horizontal dots that appear beneath the element title and then “View more by contributor” to see more of the designer’s options.
To resize borders, click to pick them and drag any white circle handles on the outside corners in or out. You can also alter the color of an element by clicking on it to select it and then the color tile in the toolbar above the editor. Choose a color from the suggested palettes or click “New color” to open the color selector.
How to Add a Border to a Photo From an iPhone
You can add a border on iOS devices without the need for any additional downloads or apps. You need to use two native iOS photo editing tools to do this. Here’s how to get started:
- Launch the Photos app and choose an image to add a border.
- In the corner, click the “Edit” button.
- Select the three horizontal dots.
- Tap the “Markup” button.
- Once within Markup, touch the (+) plus sign.
- Touch the square in the element selections. This inserts a black square onto the image.
- (optional) While the square is chosen, you may press the color options to alter the border color. Select the little square/circle button in the corner to adjust the border matte’s thickness if necessary.
- Tap and drag on the square’s blue dots to reposition the box to the area’s boundary for the picture border.
- Select “Done.”
- Touch on the “Crop” button, which resembles a square with revolving arrows.
- Drag the crop selector handles to match them with the newly created outside square border, then tap “Done.”
How to Add a Border to a Photo From an Android
Unfortunately, to add a border on an Android device, you’ll have to download a picture editing app. PicsArt is a popular picture editing application available for Android and iOS devices. You can download it from the Google Play Store. From there, the steps to add photo border are:
- At the bottom of the screen, there is a (+) plus symbol. Tap on it and provide the program with the required permissions to access your gallery.
- You will be presented with four options. You can select an option based on your needs.
- Open the image to which you wish to apply a border.
- A scrollable toolbar will appear at the bottom of the window when the picture has been loaded. There you’ll find the “Border” tool. Tap on it.
- A new window will open where you may customize the border’s color and width.
- The picture will refresh in real-time, allowing you to view the outcomes immediately. When finished, click the checkmark in the screen’s upper-right corner.
- You may save the picture or instantly publish it on a social media platform.
How to Add a Border to a Photo From a Windows PC
Microsoft Paint, a free tool included with every version of Microsoft Windows, allows you to apply a basic border to any picture. The app allows for a few frame customizations, and you can add them to website icons and digital camera images. Here’s how to do it:
- Right-click a picture and choose “Open With” from the options.
- Click “Microsoft Paint” from the list of apps, then “Open.”
- On the top of your Paint window, click the line tool icon.
- Select the color for your border from the list of available colors. Take note that your mouse icon contains a line, indicating that the line tool is active.
- From the very top-left corner to the right corner, draw a line. Continue drawing a line around the image on all four sides.
- Click the “Save” button when you’re done.
Frame Your Digital Photos
Adding a frame or border to your photos is easier than ever. Technological advancements have made it possible to have digital photos and digital frames for the images. If you want to find some inspiration for your photo border, you can search for photo frames on Pinterest. Or you can download one of many photo editing apps that have a selection of frames for your pictures.
Have you ever added a border to a photo? Do you prefer pictures with an added frame or without one? Let us know in the comment section below!