How to Add New Devices in Signal
Signing up to the new messaging service Signal is relatively simple. All you need to do is download the app on your device, register, and follow the steps to complete the process.
But if you change devices, is it possible to add a new one and still use Signal? In this article, we’ll answer that question and discuss many other burning issues regarding this increasingly popular app.
How to Add New Devices in Signal
If you’ve installed Signal on one device before and now want to use it on another one, don’t panic. You don’t need to follow a complicated process to do so. However, the steps will vary depending on the operating system of your device. Moreover, whether you’ve changed your phone number will also affect the steps.
Adding a New Android Device With the New Phone Number
If you’ve recently purchased a new Android device and have a new phone number, adding Signal won’t be difficult at all. But first, you need to leave groups using the old device:
- Grab the old phone and open one group chat.
- Tap on the profile photo.
- Scroll down to “Leave Group.”
- Repeat the steps for all groups.
Before doing this, make sure to tell your friends the reason for leaving the group. You’ll be able to communicate again once you install Signal on your new device.
After this step, you need to unregister. This will ensure you don’t miss any messages your friends might send while you’re installing Signal:
- Launch Signal on your old phone.
- Click on the profile picture and go to “Advanced.”
- Select “Delete account.”
- Enter your number if prompted.
- Click on “Delete Account” and confirm.
Once you finish doing this, it’s time to install Signal on your new Android device:
- Download the Signal app from Google Play.
- Follow the installation steps.
- Type the new phone number to register.
- Reach out to your contacts and ask them to add you to the groups you left.
Adding a New Android Device With the Same Phone Number
If you’ve just upgraded to the newer Android device but still have the same phone number, the first thing you need to do is backup all media and messages:
- Launch Signal on the old phone and tap on the profile picture.
- Head over to “Settings,” then scroll to “Chats and Media.”
- Tap on the “Chat backups” tab and select “Turn on.”
- Copy the passphrase.
- Choose “Enable backups.”
Now that that’s set, here’s how to add Signal to a new Android device:
- Download Signal from Google Play.
- Launch the app.
- Paste the passphrase to confirm the backup.
- Write the phone number you used to sign up in the first place.
Adding a New iOS Device With the New Phone Number
If you’ve got a new iOS device and a new phone number, follow the steps below to install Signal:
- Grab your old iOS device and open Signal.
- Click on the profile photo.
- Tap “Leave Group.”
- Repeat the steps for all groups.
- Then, go to “Advanced.”
- Choose “Delete account.”
- Enter your number.
- Tap on “Delete Account” and confirm you want to remove it.
- Download Signal from App Store on your new device.
- Start the installation.
- Once the installation finishes, ask friends to add you to all groups.
Adding a New iOS Device With the Same Phone Number
The first step in installing Signal on a new iOS device with the same phone number is performing a backup:
- Grab both devices.
- Install Signal from App Store on your new device.
- Finish the registration by following the steps.
- Place the new device near the old device.
- You’ll see the Quick Start on the old device.
- Select “Transfer from iOS device.”
- Wait for a QR code to appear on the new device.
- Place the old device over the new one to scan the code.
- Follow the steps to proceed with the backup.
- After the backup, you’ll have all messages and media in your Signal chats.
How to Migrate Signal iOS Conversations
Have you bought a new iPhone recently? Then you’re probably wondering how to migrate all your Signal conversations to a new device. Using third-party apps can be problematic, especially if you aren’t sure how they operate. Fortunately, there’s no need for that.
iOS users only need their old and the new device to finish the process. Here’s how you’ll move all Signal conversations to a new iPhone:
- Have both your new and old devices close to each other.
- Make sure to download Signal on your new iPhone.
- Start the installation and follow the steps to complete it.
- Type the phone number on the new iPhone when prompted.
- There will be the Quick Start on the old device.
- Choose “Transfer from iOS device.”
- Wait for the migration information to appear on either of the devices and confirm you want to start the process.
- The QR code will show on your new device.
- Scan it with the old device.
Once everything is completed, your old Signal conversations will be visible in Signal on your new device.
How to Migrate Signal Android Conversations
If you’re an Android user and want to move Signal conversations from the old Android device to the new one, here’s what you’ll have to do:
- Launch Signal on your old device and tap on the three dots in the top right part of the screen.
- Select “Settings.”
- Then, choose “Chats and media.”
- Scroll to “Chat backups.”
- You’ll see a 30-digit code on your screen.
- Write it somewhere as you’ll need to use it later.
- Tap on “Enable Backups.”
- Wait for the backup to complete.
Next, you’ll have to do the following:
- Find Signal in Play Store.
- Launch the file manager and search for “backups.”
- Move this file to “Downloads.”
- Open Signal on the new device and proceed with the installation.
- Then, click on the three dots in the top right corner of the screen again.
- Choose “Settings” and head to “Chat and media.”
- Go to “Chat backups.”
- Click on “Enable Backups” once again.
After this, you’ll need to remove the app from the new device. Then, here’s what you should do next:
- Use a file manager to search for “/Internal Storage/Signal.”
- Look for the “Backups” folder.
- Remove the backup file.
- Locate the same file you’ve previously moved to “Downloads.”
- Copy it and paste it to the “Backups” folder.
Install the app again on your phone by following the steps we’ve provided above. Only this time, you’ll see the “Restore backup” tab. Click on it to migrate conversations. You might need to write the 30-digit code.
Would you like to know anything else regarding Signal? Then check out the section below.
1. How Do I Add Someone to Signal?
Adding a person to a Signal group chat is relatively simple:
• Open the group chat where you want to add a member.
• Click on its profile picture.
• Scroll to “Add members.”
• Write the person’s name or phone number.
• Confirm by selecting “Add member.”
If the person doesn’t already use Signal, they’ll first need to download the app.
2. Does Signal Sync Across Devices?
Yes, it does. Users can use Signal on one phone and up to five Desktop devices. All of them will be synced.
3. Can You Have Signal on Two Phones?
Unfortunately, users can’t have Signal on two separate phones. If they get a new phone, they’ll only be able to use Signal on that device. However, they can have Signal on five Desktop devices in addition to the phone version.
4. How Do I Transfer Signal to My New Phone?
If you’ve got a new phone and want to use Signal on it, you’ll have to download the app first. Depending on the device, you’ll either find it in the App Store or Play Store. If users don’t want to perform a backup, all they’ve got to do is proceed with the installation.
If they want to move chats from the old phone to the new one, they can check out the sections above to learn how to do so efficiently.
5. How Do I Know if My Friend Is Using Signal?
If you’re wondering if your friend is using Signal, there’s an easy way to check:
• Open Signal on your phone.
• Click on the blue pen icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.
• Doing so will show all your contacts.
• If the person has the blue letter next to their name, they’re using Signal. If it’s grey, they still haven’t downloaded this app.
A Great New Messaging System
Many users are turning to Signal because its security is much better compared to other similar systems. But if you’ve recently bought a new phone and want to install Signal on it, you should first backup conversations. That way, when you add Signal to the new device, you’ll still see your old conversations.
Have you tried Signal yet? Why did you switch to it? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.