How to Disable Instagram
If you’ve found Instagram too toxic or just want to spend more time with the people you love in real life, you may have wondered if there is a method to disable the app. Everyone should occasionally take a break from social media.
Regardless of the cause, there are two options available if you want to stop using Instagram. You can either deactivate your Instagram account forever and never return, or you can take a short break. If you opt for the break, you can reactivate your account later.
This article will teach you everything you need to know about disabling your Instagram account.
Instagram advises users to disable their accounts before permanently deleting them. If you do this, you can still retrieve your profile and all of your data. Deactivating your account temporarily is simple. You can’t, however, do so from the Instagram application. You must log in to your account using a desktop browser.
Here’s how to temporarily disable your Instagram account:
- Log in and click on your profile image in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Choose Edit Profile.
- Scroll down and hit “Temporarily Deactivate My Account” in the lower right corner of the screen.
- If you’re prompted with a reason for disabling an account, choose an answer.
- Enter your password again.
- Select “Temporarily Deactivate Account.”
Your followers won’t see any of your posts if you follow these steps. Nobody will be able to go to your profile until you enable your account by logging in again.
Reels are engaging, immersive videos that allow you to artistically communicate your brand story, inform your audience, and attract new customers. There is no simple way to disable Instagram reels. In order to get rid of reels, you must change how you use Instagram.
Use Browser to Access Instagram
The best approach to avoiding Instagram reels is to use Instagram in your browser. Contrary to the Instagram app, the Instagram browser version doesn’t have this feature (yet). You can log in using any browser, including Google Chrome, Mozilla, and others. You can use Instagram without reels once you have successfully logged in. The browser experience may not be as quick as that of the Instagram app. The alternative possibilities listed below can be considered if you miss the original app.
Use the Older Instagram Version on Your Android
Because there is no option to disable Instagram Reels within the app, the only way to prevent it from displaying in your newsfeed is to install an older version of the Instagram on your device. Follow the steps below to get an older version of the app:
- To begin, use your browser to get this Instagram APK file and download it. Other versions older than this should also work. Be careful when downloading anything from the internet and research thoroughly to ensure you don’t install a malicious program.
- Then, on your home screen, tap the “Settings” app.
- Select the “Biometrics and security” tab from the “Settings” menu. This tab’s name may differ based on the model of your phone. After that, choose “Install Unknown apps.”
- Finally, select the browser from which you downloaded the APK file and select “Allow from This Source.”
To install the software, open the APK file you downloaded and follow the on-screen steps. Relaunch Instagram to see whether reels have been removed. Installing an older version of Instagram serves as a workaround for the removal of Reels. For that reason, you must make sure that the Play Store doesn’t upgrade the application automatically, as it would restore the feature.
To prevent Google Play Store from upgrading Instagram, follow the instructions below:
- Open your Play store, find and click on the Instagram app.
- In the upper right corner of your page, select the “three dot” icon.
- Unselect the “Enable Auto-Update” option.
Now, this solution will remove Reels on Instagram for as long as the Instagram version loaded on your phone is still accessible by their servers. You’ll have no choice but to accept reels if Instagram chooses to force you to update the app.
Unfortunately, unlike on Android, it is difficult to install previous versions of a program on an iOS device. This involves a jailbreak, which is a complex operation with several possible problems if you’re unfamiliar with it.
Try Instagram Lite
Instagram Lite doesn’t currently support reels. This function may soon be added, but for now, there’s no mention of it. Instagram Lite is available for download from the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store, and it allows you to enjoy Instagram without reels.
Finding a technique to ignore a call that comes in at an inconvenient moment can be rather annoying. Anyone who can message you on Instagram also has the option to call you by voice or video. Typically, these are folks who follow you or who have previously tried to communicate with you but were unsuccessful.
Additionally, if you’re on the go, every call you receive will use up mobile data. You can prevent this by blocking voice and video calls from specified followers, disabling notifications, or using “Do Not Disturb.”
Disable Video Calls
Not everyone is happy with the video call feature turned “on.” If you’re one of those individuals who wants more privacy, you can switch off incoming video calls on Instagram. To do so, just follow these steps:
- Launch the Instagram app.
- Navigate to your profile in the bottom-right corner.
- Choose the hamburger menu in the upper right corner.
- Go to “Settings.”
- Pick “Notifications.”
- Click “Direct Messages and Calls.”
- Find “Video Chats” and tap “Off.”
You can personalize your Instagram messaging experience with just a few clicks, so you never have to worry about receiving a message from a stranger or someone you aren’t following. It’s an extra layer of privacy that some people may choose for peace of mind.
Disable Audio Calls
Follow these simple steps to disable the audio call feature:
- Launch the Instagram app.
- Navigate to “Settings.” Look for “Call Settings,” and turn it off.
This option is also available in the “Voice and Video” section of your phone’s settings. This will disable audio calling for the entire Instagram app.
Instagram can help you find new things by recommending posts. Therefore, it’s possible that you’ll opt to follow that account after seeing a post from a related account you already follow. Following the most recent posts from the people you follow, suggestions for posts will show up in your feed.
Instagram suggests content based on accounts you currently follow, as well as content that is related to or the same as content you like or save. While many people find the recommended Instagram posts on their feed useful for broadening their interests, some can find them annoying.
Here’s how to disable Instagram’s suggested posts:
- Launch the Instagram app, then scroll down until Posts begin to display.
- Click the three dots next to the post.
- Press “Hide.” Instagram will no longer display as many posts like these.
- You can choose to tap a justification to modify the suggestions for your upcoming suggested posts. If you change your mind, you can also tap “Undo.”
There could also be a button labeled “Snooze all suggested posts in feed for 30 days” depending on your location. If you don’t want to see Instagram’s suggested posts for a month, select this option.
Follow these steps to disable or unlink your Instagram account from your Facebook account:
- Go to the Facebook “Settings” page.
- Choose “Apps and Websites” under “Security.”
- Choose Instagram.
- Click on “Remove.” Choose “Remove” once again when requested.
Although Instagram is an amazing and powerful app, navigating it can be challenging . You can improve your Instagram experience by disabling some of the available options or even disabling the service to get some rest from social media
Do you think you need a break from Instagram? Have you ever disabled the service? Let us know in comments section below.