How to Get Japanese Netflix
Netflix libraries are tailored to each region, so you can’t access Japanese Netflix if you’re out of the country. This is because shows and movies are licensed only to specific nations, and Netflix abides by these rules.
Fortunately, there are ways to access Japanese Netflix even if you don’t currently reside there, and this article will show you how.
Get Japanese Netflix With a VPN
As your key to the Japanese Netflix catalog lies in your IP address, accessing it is most easily done through a VPN. A VPN will trick Netflix and make it seem like you’re trying to reach Japan-specific content from inside the country.
The best VPN services for Japan in 2023 are Express VPN, NordVPN, and Proton VPN Free. All three are unparalleled in terms of international connection speed, range width, and server accessibility.
The following sections will demonstrate how you can access Japanese Netflix through a VPN, using the best one for these purposes — NordVPN. It gives you fast and consistent access to over 80 Japanese VPN servers.
Access Japanese Netflix on iOS or Android
Here’s how to access Japanese Netflix through your iPhone, iPad, or Android using NordVPN:
30-day money back guarantee
- Download NordVPN if you haven’t already.
- Open the NordVPN app and log into your existing account or create a new account.
- Click on the “Countries” tab.
- Find “Japan” or type it in the “Search” tab.
- Click on “Japan” and wait for the connection to stabilize.
- Open Netflix or refresh the app if you’re already there.
- Go to “New & Popular” to confirm whether the country has changed.
Now, you can start streaming any Japan-targeted content you couldn’t access previously.
Access Japanese Netflix on the Desktop
Here are the steps to switch to Japan’s Netflix on your desktop:
- Go to NordVPN’s official website and download the service.
- Launch the private network service and log into your existing NordVPN account or create a new one.
- You’ll see your current location in the top left corner, so click on the drop-down menu to view all.
- Find “Japan” or type it in the “Search” tab.
- Click on “Japan” and wait to connect.
- Exit the NordVPN app and go to your Netflix account.
Access Japanese Netflix on Game Consoles
One of the ways to access the Japanese Netflix catalog on your Xbox or PlayStation with a VPN is through your PC. As this process is slightly more daunting, the following section will explain the steps in detail.
- Install NordVPN on your computer and set “Japan” as the country on your PC by following the steps from the tutorial above.
- Connect your console and your computer with the ethernet cable.
- Go to “Control Panel.”
- Navigate to “Network and Sharing.”
- Click on “Change Adapter Settings.”
- Go to “Properties” by right-clicking on the icon with NordVPN written somewhere on it.
- In the “Sharing” tab, tick the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection” box.
- In the “Home networking connection” drop-down menu, tap the appropriate network for your game console.
- Tap “OK” to save changes.
- Open Netflix and check whether the country has switched to Japan.
Access Japanese Netflix on Smart TV
If you own an Android TV or Fire TV for streaming Netflix shows, you can install a VPN service directly on them. Here’s how to do it on an Android TV:
- Download NordVPN or another VPN service from the Play Store on your Android TV.
- Log into your chosen VPN account or create a new one.
- Search for Japan in the offered list of countries and regions.
- You might receive notifications confirming the connection, so verify them.
- Go to Netflix and enjoy your favorite series.
Netflix doesn’t support using a VPN. If you get caught, you’ll see a message that a proxy was detected. The notification will recommend turning the VPN off to continue watching the selected show. When you see this message, restart the Netflix app, clear the cache, and reconnect to the VPN.
As a special note, you can’t watch Netflix with a VPN on an ad-supported Netflix plan or watch live events. In addition, some countries like Iran and China have banned VPNs, so you won’t be able to access Japanese Netflix through a VPN from those countries.
Get Japanese Netflix With DNS Service
Other ways to access Japanese Netflix don’t involve using VPN. One of them is a DNS service. One of the best DNS proxy services is Smart DNS. Here’s how to use it to access Japanese Netflix content:
- Sign up for Smart DNS.
- Register your current IP address. Smart DNS will provide you with new IP addresses to use on your devices.
- Go to your chosen device’s “Network Settings. ”Manually input your new IP address.
- Restart your device to activate new settings.
- Launch Netflix on your device and check if the country has changed.
If I change my Netflix to Japanese, can I still watch movies and TV series in English?
Yes, you can keep your subtitles in English even if you switch Netflix to Japanese. There’ll usually be 5-7 languages available, regardless of your location. To change the subs or dub language:
1. Go to your profile icon.
2. Tap “Manage Profiles.”
3. Choose the account.
4. Select new languages in “Audio & Subtitles Languages.”
What should I do if Netflix isn’t showing me the library of the country I’m in?
If Netflix thinks you’re in the wrong country and isn’t showing you the content other people from that location can watch, Netflix suggests checking your IP address through a service such as fast.com. If your country differs from the one shown after running the connection test, contact Netflix to help you.
Can I access Japanese Netflix if I’m moving out of Japan?
You can access Japanese Netflix as a former resident by following the steps above.
Which VPN services don’t work on Japanese Netflix?
Some popular VPNs you should avoid if you want to stream Japanese Netflix shows are IVPN, Surfshark, TunnelBear, Mozilla VPN, AtlasVPN, and IPVanish.
What shows are available on Japanese Netflix?
You can stream popular anime or watch Japanese live-action movies.
Expand Your Horizons
Although Netflix streaming catalogs are country-specific, there are ways to bypass this rule and access content. You can watch your desired Japan-exclusive movies and TV series on multiple devices using a VPN, DNS proxy, or by setting up Remote Desktop Software.
Which method worked best to access Netflix Japan? Tell us about it in the comments section below.