How to Share Video in Webex
During an online meeting on Webex, you can share your screen, a whiteboard, plain text, images, documents, applications, and most importantly, videos. Knowing how to share video content during meetings and events on Webex can be very handy. What’s more, you don’t have to worry about the video’s resolution, as Webex allows you to share video files at a high frame rate.
In this guide, we will go through the process of sharing video files on Webex on different operating systems. We will also answer some questions you might have concerning the sharing feature on Webex.
How to Share Video on Webex on a Windows 10 PC?
There are two ways you can use this video conferencing platform. You can either install Webex on your device, or you can use the web app. While both versions offer similar features, using the desktop app is highly recommended, since it doesn’t come with any limitations. Your videos are also bound to be clearer, and the resolution will be better on the desktop app.
No matter which version of Webex you use, sharing a video can be done in a few simple steps. Nevertheless, this guide will cover the process of sharing video content on both the desktop app and the web app.
To share a video file in Webex using the desktop app on your Windows 10, this is what you need to do:
- Open the Webex desktop app.
- Head over to the “Meetings” tab on the left Home sidebar.
- Click on the “Start a meeting” button or “Join a meeting” that is already underway. If you want to join a meeting, then you’ll need the invite link to that meeting.
Note: If you want to start a new meeting, you can choose between “Use desktop app” and “Use web app.” This time, choose the first option.
- Move your cursor across the screen for the bottom toolbar to appear.
- Click on the “Share content” button, which will open a new tab.
- Go to the “Automatically optimize” box and click on it.
- Choose the “Optimize for motion and video” option on the drop-down menu.
- Check the “Share your computer audio” box to make sure your video plays with audio.
- Find the screen where your video is, and go to “Share.”
- Play your video file.
Easy, right? Now let’s see how you would do it on the Webex web app:
- Launch Webex on your browser.
- Insert the invite link to join a meeting.
- Find the “Share” option on the bottom toolbar and click on it.
- Click on the “Optimize for motion and video” option on the drop-down menu.
- Navigate to the “Screen” section on the new pop-up tab.
- Click on “Share your computer audio.”
- Pick between “Your entire screen” and “Chrome tab.”
- Press “Share.”
No matter which device you use for Webex meetings, the web app is identical on all operating systems. Just keep in mind that the sharing feature is only possible on Google Chrome at this point.
How to Share Video on Webex on a Mac?
Sharing video content on Webex on Mac is also relatively straightforward, with a couple of more steps to go. Follow the instructions below to find out how:
- Launch the desktop app on your Mac.
- Open the “Personal room.”
- Click on the “Start a new meeting” button or the “Join a meeting” one. Insert the invite link if you want to join an ongoing meeting.
- Go to “Share.”
- Choose “Install” on the “Install audio drivers” pop-up window.
Note: This step is only necessary if you are sharing a video on Webex for the first time. The next time you share a video or audio file, this part will be skipped.
- Follow the instructions until the installation process is complete.
- Once again, navigate to the “Share” option on the top banner.
- Click on “Share content.”
- Select “Optimize for motion and video.”
- Click on the “Share your computer audio” option.
- Pick the tab that contains your video file and go to “Share.”
- Play your video.
That’s all there is to it. To stop sharing your video, or any other type of content, click on the “Stop Sharing” option at the top of the window.
As mentioned before, the web app looks the same on a Mac and Windows OS. If you are interested in finding out how to share a video on Webex on the web app, just go back to the previous section.
How to Share Video on Webex on a Chromebook?
Sharing a video on Webex on a Chromebook is no more complicated. Here’s how you can do it using the desktop app in a few quick steps:
- Launch the Webex desktop app on your Chromebook.
- Either click on the “Start a new meeting” or “Join a meeting” button.
- Click on the “Share” icon on the bottom toolbar.
- Choose the “Optimize for motion and video” on the drop-down menu.
- Share your audio so that your colleagues will be able to hear the video.
- Locate the screen that contains the video that you want to play.
- Click on “Share,” and play the video.
When your video is finished, you can simply stop sharing your screen and continue the online meeting.
One great thing about sharing videos on Webex is that you can retain its original high quality, and it will look and sound the same on your colleagues’ devices too. Webex plays all your videos at 30 frames per second.
How to Share Video on Webex on Linux?
To share video content on Webex on Linux using the desktop app, follow the steps below:
- Launch the desktop app on your device.
- Go to the “Personal room” on the left sidebar of the window.
- Click on the “Start a new meeting,” or “Join a meeting” button. If you want to join a meeting that is already in progress, you will need to use the invite link.
- Move your cursor across the screen until the bottom toolbar appears.
- Click on the “Share” icon, which will open a new tab.
- Go to the “Automatically optimize” box and click on it.
- Choose the “Optimize for motion and video” option.
- Don’t forget to tick the “Share your computer audio” box.
- Pick the screen where your video file is located.
- Click “Share.”
- Play your video.
It’s a good idea to know where everything is before you begin the video conference. Once you share your screen, your colleagues will be able to see everything that’s on it. That’s why it’s better to prepare everything beforehand. Only keep the tabs that you need for the meeting. Close or remove anything else that could pose as a distraction.
Additionally, if you want to share several videos during one Webex meeting, try organizing them in a way that will make them accessible. If you need to switch between different tabs and screens to play different files, just go back to the “Share content” tab on Webex.
What Type of Content Can You Share on Webex?
While video sharing is a great feature, it isn’t the only type of content you can share on Webex. Individual files or documents, application sets, web browsers, productivity tools, Microsoft Office documents, PowerPoint presentations, the Webex whiteboard, PDF files, and images are just some of the file types you can share on Webex.
Webex also gives you the option to share your full screen, so that your colleagues can see all its contents, and you can also share a particular app.
Can I Share Content on the Webex Mobile App?
You can use the Webex mobile app to share your screen during online meetings as well. What’s more, you can share your screen from any mobile device – Android, iPhone, and iPad.
All you need to do is tap on the three dots at the bottom of your screen during a Webex meeting. The next step is to tap on “Share content,” and then “Share screen.” The types of content you can share on the Webex mobile app include images (.jpg, .png, .jpeg,.heif, .heic, .tiff, .tif, and .gif files), PDF files, plain text, Apple iWorks documents, Microsoft Office documents, ZIP files, and many more.
Unfortunately, the video-sharing feature still isn’t available on the Webex mobile device. Generally speaking, .mp3 and .mp4 files still can’t be shared, but this might change in the future.
Make Your Webex Meetings Better With Video Content
Now you know how to share video files on Webex across different operating systems. You also know how to use the Webex desktop app and web app for video sharing. Webex is designed to enhance the quality of your online meetings and video conferences. Once you get to know all its features, your meetings will flow much smoother.
Have you ever shared video content on Webex before? Did you use any of the methods outlined in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.