How To Make Your Own Sound in TikTok
The secret of a viral TikTok video is a creative, catchy sound. You can make your own sound on TikTok in numerous ways. For example, you can use a song from TikTok’s music library, apply the voiceover feature, edit the video using third-party apps, and even make a TikTok sound with multiple songs. However, the easiest way to make a sound on TikTok is just by recording a regular video.
In this article, we’ll show you how to make your own sound on TikTok using various methods and apps. In addition, you’ll learn how to make TikTok sounds with one or multiple songs.
How to Make Your Own TikTok Sound With Music
No matter how many followers you have on TikTok, anyone can go viral overnight. To get a million views, your TikTok videos need to be creative, unique, and interesting enough to grab the viewer’s attention within the first three seconds of the video. Many TikTok creators have become popular by creating sounds with a lot of potential. The more people use and share your sound on TikTok, the more popular the original sound will become.
There are various ways you can make your own TikTok sound, depending on how creative you are and how much time and effort you’re willing to put in. Technically speaking, you can record a 15-second video and make a viral TikTok sound spontaneously. But if you’re willing to put in the work, you can use various in-app tools, features, effects, or third-party apps to make your own TikTok sound. Believe it or not, a lot of videos that have gone viral don’t have a special sound. It can be one funny line or a catchy phrase. If you try to make it sound forced, people will pick up on that and the video will flop.
Let’s start with the basics. A TikTok sound can be anything, like a movie scene, an interview clip, or a completely random moment caught on camera. Of course, a TikTok sound can also be a song. However, since TikTok only allows you to post 15-, 30-, and 60-second videos, you will only be able to use one part of the song. So make sure it’s the chorus or the part you like the most.
You can make your own TikTok sound within the app. But if you want to add a song that’s not in TikTok’s music library, you will have to use a third-party app.
First, we’ll cover the process of making your own TikTok sound using a song from TikTok’s music library. This is how it’s done.
- Open TikTok on your phone.
- Go to the “+” button at the bottom of the screen.
- Record a video by tapping on the red circle at the bottom. Once you’re done filming, tap on the red circle again.
Note: You also have the option to upload a premade video from your gallery. To do this, go to the Upload option in the bottom-right corner and select one video from your gallery.
- Tap on the check mark or the “Next” button in the bottom-right corner.
- Proceed to “Sounds” in the top-mid of your screen.
- Select a sound from the list or search for it.
- Edit the sound by adjusting the length and adding effects.
- Tap on the “Voiceover” feature if you want to say something.
- Go to “Next.”
You can post the video or save it to your drafts. If you post your video on TikTok, you will be able to save the sound and use it again. This is done by tapping on the spinning record icon in the bottom-right corner. It will take you to a page that will show other TikTok videos that use your sound. Since you have just posted it, the page will be empty. Go to the Add to Favorites option to save your TikTok sound.
Now, let’s see how you can make your own TikTok sound with music that isn’t in the app’s library. Since TikTok doesn’t allow you to upload your own sounds, you will have to make the sound in a third-party app and post it on TikTok as a regular video. Another option is to make your video in a third-party app and then directly post it on TikTok.
You can use any video editing app to do this. We’ll be using CapCut. It’s a free photo and video editing app available for both iPhone and Android devices. What’s more, you can post videos directly on TikTok. This app even allows you to use TikTok original sounds, but we won’t be using that feature again.
Note that you should record your video beforehand and make sure the song you want to use is in your phone’s music library. Once you install the app on your phone, this is what you should do next.
- Open CapCut. Go to “+ New Project” and upload the prerecorded video.
- Tap on the “Audio” feature on the bottom menu. Choose “Sounds.”
- Proceed to the folder icon and choose “From device.”
- Select the song from your music library.
- Tap on the video bar and go to “Volume.”
- Mute the video so it won’t interfere with the song.
- Adjust the length of the song.
- Decide which part of the song will be in the video.
- Add song effects.
- Tap on the arrow icon in the upper-right corner and select “Share on TikTok.”
Once the video is uploaded to TikTok, the sound will be marked as your original sound that other people will be able to use and share.
Be careful about adding songs on TikTok, as you may infringe on copyright. If that happens, TikTok will delete your video or disable your account. To be safe, stick with 15-second videos.
How to Make Your Own TikTok Sound Mashup
TikTok sounds can sometimes be mashups or remixes, where two, three, or more songs are blended into one. A TikTok sound mashup doesn’t need to be two songs; it can also be two random different TikTok sounds or anything that comes to mind. If you want to make your own TikTok sound mashup, it will take more work and basic music editing skills. However, you don’t need to be a professional DJ to make a mashup.
You will need to use a third-party app to blend two or more songs into one and then post the video on TikTok, using the mashup as your original sound.
First, you will need to choose two or three songs you want to use for your mashup. If you’re doing this for the first time, it’s better to stick with two songs for now. Make sure they have a similar beat, or it will just sound weird. The app we’ll be using is Audacity, a free, open-source music editing program.
Here’s how you can use Audacity to make your own TikTok sound mashup.
- Run Audacity on your computer and go to the “Tracks” tab on the top toolbar.
- Select “Add New” and then “Stereo Track.”
- Choose the first song you want to mix.
- Repeat the same steps for all the songs you want to add.
- Proceed to “Tracks” and then “Mix.”
- Choose “Mix and Render to a New Track.”
- Adjust the length of the mashup and edit the mashup in any way you want.
- Click on the green play button in the upper-left corner to hear what it sounds like.
- Go to “File,” and then “Save Project As…”
- Select “MP3 Files” for the format and click on the “Save” button.
Now you have your song mashup. You still need to add the new song to your video. You can use CapCut, just like we showed you in the previous instructions. Just make sure to transfer the song mashup to your phone.
How to Make Your Own TikTok Sound From a Video
You can extract a sound from one video and use it for another video. To do this, we’ll be using the CapCut app. Just like before, make sure to have the video ready in your gallery. Since we won’t be using a song this time, but a sound from another video, you’ll need to upload two videos to CapCut. Follow the steps below to see how it’s done:
- Launch CapCut on your phone.
- Choose “+ New Project” and upload your video.
- Tap on “Audio” and then “Extracted.”
- Select the video that has the sound you want to use.
- Go to the “Import sound only” button. The two videos will now be stacked one on the other.
- Tap on the first video bar and go to “Volume.”
- Lower the volume all the way down.
- Edit the video to your liking.
- Tap on the upward arrow in the upper-right corner.
- Once the video is exported, choose “Share to TikTok.”
How to Make Your Own Sound on TikTok With Multiple Songs
TikTok doesn’t allow you to use two sounds at the same time. If you want to post a TikTok that includes multiple songs (which aren’t blended into a mix), you will have to create that sound in a third-party app. We’ll be using CapCut again.
Make sure to have all the songs you want to use downloaded on your phone. Then follow the steps below to find out how it’s done.
- Run CapCut and upload your video.
- Before adding any songs, choose “Mute clip audio” on the left side of the video bar.
- Go to “Audio” and then “Sounds.”
- Upload the first song.
- Tap on the music bar and split it where the first song will end.
- Delete the rest of the song.
- Upload the second song. It will automatically play after the first one.
- Repeat the same process for the third song.
Now that all the songs are attached to the same video, you need to work on the transition. You can make each song fade in and fade out. If you want, add music effects. Adjust the speed, add a beat, and edit it however you want. Once you’re done, you can save it on your device or post it on TikTok directly from the app.
Make Trending Sounds on TikTok
Making your own TikTok sound may take some work, but if you want to create a trending sound and go viral, it’s worth it. Whether you want to make a random video, add music, or mix multiple songs into one, you have many creative video editing tools that can help you. If your sound stands out, other TikTok users will want to use it for their videos as well.
Have you ever made your own TikTok sound before? How did you make it? Did you use TikTok’s in-app tools or third-party video-editing apps? Tell us in the comments section below.