How to Catch a Ditto in Pokemon Go
Ditto is among the most-wanted first-generation Pokemons, for the most part due to the complexity of catching one. That’s because this purple slimy monster can transform into another Pokemon, and you can’t know it’s Ditto until you catch it. If you’re wondering how to get Ditto into your Pokedex, we’re here to help.
In this guide, we’ll explain how to raise your odds of catching a Ditto and how to get the Pokemon from trading. Additionally, we’ll share other useful Ditto information, including how to use Ditto in battles. Keep reading to become a skilled Ditto trainer.
How to Catch a Ditto
There’s no way of knowing you’ve encountered a Ditto until you catch a Pokemon. After the Pokemon is caught, you’ll see an “Oh?” sign instead of the usual “Gotcha” on your screen, and the Pokemon you’ve caught will reveal its real, purple and smiling, appearance.
This doesn’t sound helpful, does it? Well, you can raise your chances of catching Ditto by learning the Pokemon types it can disguise as. Here’s a list of the Pokemon that can transform into Ditto after they’re caught:
- Gastly – Ghost/Poison first-generation Pokemon looking like a black ball with purple cloud around it. Gastly evolves into Haunter and Gengar.
- Drowzee – first-generation Psychic Pokemon resembling a tapir with a yellow nose. Drowzee evolves into Hypno.
- Teddiursa – second-generation Normal-type Pokemon looking like a teddy bear. Teddiursa evolves into Ursaring.
- Remoraid – second-generation Water Pokemon that looks like a mix of fish and a rhino. It evolves into Octillery.
- Gulpin – third-generation Poison Pokemon. Gulpin is green with a yellow feather-like thing on its head. It evolves into Swalot.
- Numel – third-generation Fire/Ground Pokemon that’s a camel-like yellow animal with a green back. It evolves into Camerupt.
- Stunky – fourth-generation Poison/Dark Pokemon looking like a blend of a cat and a skunk. It evolves into Skuntank.
- Dwebble – fifth-generation Bug/Rock Pokemon that looks like a crab. It evolves into Crustle.
- Foongus – mushroom-like fifth-generation Grass/Poison Pokemon evolving into Amoonguus.
Always watch out for these Pokemon species, and sooner or later, the desired Ditto will be added to your Pokedex.
Another point to note is that Dittos appear in the same location for all players. If you’re walking with a friend and they catch a Ditto, head to the same spot and catch the same Pokemon. It will also transform into a Ditto.
How to Trade for a Ditto in Pokemon Go
At the start of 2021, Pokemon Go developers added a trading feature to the game. Now, players can exchange their Pokemon with friends, but each monster can only be traded once. If you have no luck in catching a Ditto but your friend has multiple, you can trade one of your Pokemon to Ditto. Here’s how to do that:
- Meet with a friend who owns a Ditto. You must be physically in the same place to trade.
- Launch Pokemon Go and navigate to your Trainer Profile.
- Navigate to the “Friends” tab to see your friend list.
- Tap the name of a friend you’d like to trade Pokemon with.
- Tap “Trade.”
- You’ll see a list of all your Pokemon, along with their stats. Select the one you want to give away.
- Tap “Next” and wait for your friend to select the Ditto.
- You’ll see the amount of Stardust needed to trade your Pokemon and the amount of Candy you’ll receive. If you’re satisfied, tap “Confirm.”
- Congrats! Ditto is now in your Pokedex.
Note: Pokemon HP, CP, and other stats are adjusted after trading based on the player’s level. So, if you’re level 13 and your friend is level 26, you won’t be able to get as strong Pokemon as they own.
Read this section to find out more about Ditto and catching Pokemon.
Can I Hatch a Ditto From an Egg?
You can hatch most Pokemon from an egg, but Ditto is a very special kind. It can’t be hatched; the only way to acquire it is to catch it or trade it.
Can Ditto Evolve?
Ditto can’t evolve since it only has one form. However, you can still power it up like any other Pokemon using Candy and Stardust. Plus, Ditto can earn you a Candy for every three kilometers walked together as a buddy.
How Do I Use Ditto in Battles?
You may think – why catch a Ditto if it doesn’t evolve and isn’t as strong as some other Pokemon? The thing is, Ditto has a unique ability to transform into its opponent’s form. Ditto then learns the opponent’s moves and attacks. Bear in mind that Ditto doesn’t adjust its CP or HP. And how do you win against someone who knows your every move?
What Are the Odds of Catching a Ditto?
Niantic doesn’t disclose the exact odds of catching a Ditto, but players speculate it at about 3%, which is extremely rare. Some believe that the odds raise up to 9% when you throw a Pokeball at fourth-generation Pokemon, such as Stunky.
Hopefully, our guide will help you catch the desired Ditto. Watch out for common Ditto disguises and you’ll get it sooner or later. While Ditto may be handy in battles, it’s far from being the strongest species. Perhaps, receiving Ditto from trading is a smart move that lets you focus on catching more powerful monsters.
What’s the rarest Pokemon currently in your Pokedex? Share in the comments section below.