How to Remove Someone From a Picture
Someone walking into your picture as you were taking it, or maybe seeing a face you’d rather forget, are common reasons to edit your favorite photos. When you love the picture, but an unwanted element spoils the memory, there’s a good chance you’ve asked yourself how you can remove someone from a picture.
You don’t have to be an expert to remove someone or something from your pictures, and several apps are available to accommodate this. Read on as we take you through the steps to remove someone from a picture for various devices and software.
How to Remove Someone From a Picture on an iPhone
To remove someone from one of your pictures using your iPhone, consider the popular photo editing app Adobe Photoshop Fix. This app includes some of the best Adobe tools and allows you to carry out some of the tasks available with the full app. This app is ideal, as you won’t need editing experience. Follow these steps to remove people from your photos.
- Visit the App Store to download and install the latest version of Photoshop Fix.
- Open Photoshop Fix, then import the photo you wish to edit from your camera roll. Click on the “Pen” tool to draw around the person you want to remove.
- As you draw, leave some room around the edges for the best results. From the dropdown menu, tap “Make Selection” to turn the path into a selection. From the “Edit” tab, select “Fill.” Check the “content aware” option in the dialogue box for the best results.
How to Remove Someone From a Picture on an Android
On your Android 11 or 12 device, you can use the Object Eraser tool to remove an unwanted person from your photos. Before you begin, ensure your device’s software is fully updated. If you are using Android 11, you’ll need to activate the Object Eraser to enable the tool. Here’s how.
- Open your gallery and go to the photo you wish to edit.
- Choose “Pencil” icon then tap the three-dotted menu in the top-right corner.
- Click “Labs.”
- Toggle the “Object Eraser” option to enable it.
Once enabled, it works almost identically to the Android 12 version. Here’s how to remove a person from your picture using Android 11 and 12.
- Using Android 11, the Object Eraser icon will display with the other editing tools. On Android 12, Object Eraser is found by tapping the three-dotted menu to pull up the tools.
- You’ll be asked to draw or tap over the objects you want to remove.
- After you’ve highlighted them, press “Erase.” You can choose and cut everything at once or perform multiple erases.
- When you’re satisfied, tap “Save.”
How to Remove Someone From a Picture on a PC
You won’t need to use expensive software like Photoshop when removing someone or something from your photo. PhotoWorks is a powerful photo editing software for the PC. Follow these steps to crop someone out of your picture.
- Open PhotoWorks.
- Access the photo you wish to edit by clicking on the “Open Photo” button or dragging and dropping an image file from your Windows pic folder.
- With the “Tools” tab selected, choose the “Crop” tool. The “Crop” window will display a selection of cropping grids.
- Move the control handles to resize the grid to crop the person out. This option allows you to enhance the photo’s overall composition as well.
How to Remove Someone From a Picture in Photoshop
You can easily use the updated and advanced version of Photoshop Adobe Photoshop CC to remove an undesirable person from your photo. Follow these steps for the easiest way to do this in Photoshop.
- Open Photoshop.
- Click on “File,” then “Open” to open the photo you want to edit.
- Select the “Object Selection” tool.
- Click on “Rectangle Mode.”
- Create a selection around the person you wish to remove.
- Click “Select,” then “Modify” to increase the selection.
- Select “Edit,” then “Content-Aware Fill.”
- Select the settings to suit your preferences, then hit “Ok.”
How to Remove Someone From a Picture using Facetune
Facetune is a photo editing app developed for iOS and Android users. It’s great for editing, enhancing, or retouching photos. Here’s how to remove an unwanted person from your photo using Facetune.
- Download the latest version of Facetune.
- Open the app, and open the photo you wish to edit.
- From the main menu, choose the “Patch” tool.
- Select the “Vanish” function. Use your finger to brush over the person you want to delete. Ensure you include their entire outline, without leaving any bits behind. Then let the app work its magic.
- If the person hasn’t vanished entirely, use the “Patch” tool to remove any remnants.
How to Remove Someone From a Picture in Lightroom
Adobe Lightroom is an image manipulation and organization software that’s part of the Creative Cloud family. Here’s how you can remove unwanted people or objects from your favorite photos using the Healing Brush tool. This tool allows you to paint over the area you want to remove. The Healing Brush automatically takes pixels from a similar area to merge with the initial pixels to disguise the unwanted elements. Here’s how it’s done.
- Open the latest version of Adobe Lightroom.
- In the bottom left, select the Healing Brush tool icon. Use the “Size” slider in the Healing Brush settings to make the brush tip a little bigger than the person you want to remove.
- Drag over or click on the person.
Lightroom will locate a sample source and apply it to conceal the person. Two overlays will display to signify the healing modification’s source and target.
How to Remove Someone From a Picture Using Pixlr
Pixlr E is free editing software that offers advanced photo editing options from your browser. You can use the Magic Wand, which works best against one-color backgrounds or monotones with few shade or tone variations. Follow these steps to remove an unwanted face from your picture in Pixlr.
- Open Pixlr in a new browser.
- Open the picture you wish to adjust.
- From the toolbar, select the “Magic Wand” tool icon.
- Click on the person, and the magic wand will place a flashing dotted line around the selected area.
- If you need to add more areas, hold down the “Shift” key.
- To remove the selected areas, press the “Delete” key, or from the “Edit” menu, select “Cut.”
How to Remove Someone From a Picture using Picsart
Picsart is an online photo and video editing, and design tool suite. It’s the largest all-in-one platform, is compatible with Android, and is perfect for quickly removing a person from your photo. Follow these steps to use Picsart mobile to edit your photo.
- Open Picsart and tap on the purple plus sign.
- Upload the picture you want to edit from your photo gallery. Press the “Tools” icon, then hit “Remove.”
- Choose the Brush size, then highlight the person you want to delete. Adjust the slider if the brush is too thick or thin.
- Use the “Eraser” tool to refine the areas around the deleted figure.
- Use the “Eraser” tool to refine the areas around the deleted figure.
- Once satisfied, hit “Check,” then “Next” to save it.
Is there a free Photoshop app?
There isn’t a free Photoshop app, but Photoshop does offer free trials. There are many free photo editing apps that you can use from your phone. Here are some of the best mobile-friendly photo editing apps for 2022.
Get Rid of Strangers
Several apps across all operating systems and browsers allow you to remove unwanted objects from your pictures for a more satisfying result. Whether you need to remove an ex or flocks of tourists, you don’t need to be an expert. There are many ways to edit someone, including erasing or cutting them out and refining the background for a natural finish.
Were you able to successfully remove someone from your picture? Were you happy with the result? Tell us about it in the comments section below.