How to Remove Sound From an iPhone Video
Few things can ruin an otherwise perfect video, like obnoxious background noise. Whether nearby construction threatens to blast your viewer’s eardrums or a family member added their unsolicited narration to your recording, your video is still salvageable. All you need to do is remove its sound.
There are numerous ways to complete this task on iPhone. You can use your native iMovie, a web app, or a third-party solution. Here are some of the easiest solutions.
How to Remove Sound From iPhone Video in iMovie
You can easily remove the sound from your iPhone video using iMovie. There are many advantages to this app. It offers a high level of customization: besides muting your video, you can also decrease its volume if you want to keep some sound. iMovie also allows you to trim your video and its audio and add a different audio track.
Here’s how to remove the sound from your entire video in iMovie.
- Download iMovie from the App Store.
- Launch the app and tap the “Start New Project” button to create a new project.
- Select “Movie” and browse for the video you want to mute.
- Tap “Media” in the top left corner, then “Video” to find it easier.
- Select the video and hit “Create Movie.”
- Tap the video on your timeline.
- Press the speaker icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Adjust the volume as you wish. Drag the slider until the speaker icon is crossed out to mute it entirely.
- Tap “Done” at the top to save the changes.
- Press the share button to export or share the final result.
How to Remove Sound From iPhone Video Without iMovie
iMovie is merely one of the options when it comes to removing the sound from an iPhone video. If you don’t have access to this app, you can utilize an online tool for the task.
There are many web solutions, and TinyWow is a great example. This free online file converter is straightforward and works both on a PC and mobile platforms.
All you need to do is upload your video, and you’ll be able to download it without sound in no time. There’s no need to worry about privacy as the website only stores your uploads for 15 minutes before they are deleted. You can also delete your files sooner if you wish.
Here’s how to use TinyWow to mute an iPhone video.
- Open TinyWow’s video mute tool in your iPhone’s browser.
- Tap the “Upload from PC or Mobile” button.
- Browse for the video you want to mute.
- Wait a few seconds until the file is uploaded.
- Your file will be ready shortly, and you can hit the “Download” button.
Tinywow is an excellent solution, especially when you’re in a situation where you don’t have access to your usual apps. You can use it from any device and get a muted video with a few taps.
How to Temporarily Remove Sound From iPhone Video
Removing the sound from a video is such a simple task that you don’t necessarily need a dedicated video editor for the job. Using your native Photos app is a fast way to mute your video. This solution is suitable if you don’t need many customization options besides a simple mute button.
The Photos app has another advantage: you can restore the sound of your muted video later. It’s the perfect solution when you want to share a video without sound but want to keep the original file for yourself without creating a duplicate that only takes up space.
Here’s how to mute an iPhone video in the Photos app.
- Launch your iPhone’s Photos app and open the video you want to mute.
- Tap “Edit” at the top.
- Disable the audio by pressing the yellow speaker button in the top left corner. The icon will be crossed out.
- Press “Done” at the bottom to save the changes.
- Your video will now have a greyed-out speaker icon in the Photos app, and you can share it without sound.
Make sure you don’t confuse this mute button with the speaker button that appears between the play and the delete buttons when viewing the content in the Photos app. A crossed-out speaker icon in this situation indicates that your phone is silenced, but the video may still have sound. You need to press “Edit” first to modify the file. The result will be a greyed-out speaker button instead of a crossed-out one.
As mentioned, this method is excellent because it’s not permanent. You can restore the video’s sound by following the same steps described above.
How to Remove Sound From Part of an iPhone Video
Muting a video is a straightforward solution when it contains unwanted noises, but it’s not always what you need. Fortunately, you don’t have to sacrifice the sound of your entire video because there is a two-second section where someone curses in the background. You can remove the sound from a specific part of your video using iMovie or another similar video editing app. Here are the steps in the former.
- Launch iMovie and tap the plus icon to create a new Movie.
- Select your video and hit “Create Movie.”
- Tap the video on the timeline to call forth further options.
- Press the “Actions” button at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap “Detach” to separate the audio from the video track. The audio will appear in a separate line on your timeline.
- Make sure you select the audio track on the timeline.
- Position the playhead (the vertical line in the middle of your timeline) where the unwanted sound begins.
- Tap “Actions,” then “Split” in the bottom toolbar.
- Drag the playhead to where the unwanted sound ends and split the track again.
- Select the audio section containing the sound you want to remove and press “Delete.”
- Tap “Done” when you’re finished and export the video using the share button.
How to Remove Wind Sound From Video iPhone
Anyone who’s ever recorded a video in windy weather without professional equipment knows that the sound quality isn’t ideal. You can use several tools to minimize the wind and other background noise in your iPhone video. iMovie has a great feature for tweaking the audio, but third-party apps can also reduce disruptive background sounds effectively. Here are some of your options.
iMovie’s audio equalizer gives you the most extensive control over the sound of your video. The only downside is that you’ll need to use your Mac for this solution.
- Airdrop your video to your Mac and add it to a new iMovie project.
- Select the video on your timeline.
- Click the equalizer icon above your project’s preview.
- Check “Reduce Background Noise” that pops up underneath.
- Listen for the difference and adjust the slider as needed.
You could adjust the noise level manually if the automatic tool didn’t do the trick.
- Hold your “R” button and select the affected section of the video
- Grab and drag the horizontal line in the audio track downwards.
In addition, equalizer presets to the right of the tool mentioned above can enhance your audio differently. Play around with the presets to find the best settings for your video.
Try an App
There are a lot of third-party solutions that can also reduce wind and other sounds in videos. Here are a few you can try.
- ByeNoise – capable of removing a wide range of distracting noises from videos
- InVideo (Filmr) – offers many specialized audio editing tools
- Audio Noise Reducer & Recorder – besides noise reduction, you can use this app to record audio
No Sound, No Worries
Forget about embarrassing background noises in videos. Take a few seconds to check the sound of your recording before sharing it with the world, and remove the audio with a few simple taps if necessary.
Which method of muting an iPhone video do you find the fastest and easiest? Are there any other apps you would recommend for this task? Let us know in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.