How to Change a Password in RingCentral
If you’re a RingCentral user, you might want to change your password. Maybe you have security concerns or simply want to pick a password that’s easier to remember. Whatever the case, you’ll be pleased to know it’s a relatively straightforward process.
This article explains how to change or reset your RingCentral password.
RingCentral Password Change
To change your RingCentral password successfully, you need to follow certain steps. This can be done by the user or the admin depending on the circumstances.
- Open the RingCentral mobile app.
- Select “Profile picture.”
- Click the “Extension settings.”
- Select “User Info” and then “User password.”
- Select “Continue” at the top.
- You’ll be prompted with an option to enter “User Password.” Enter the current password, and in the next box, enter “New Password.”
- Enter your PIN (for the RingCentral account).
- Tap “Save.”
Your password should now be changed.
Changing the Team Member’s Password
If you’re an admin and someone reports an issue with their account, you should change the password to put their mind at ease. Here’s how it’s done:
- Log into your admin account on RingCentral.
- Choose your profile picture.
- Select “Phone system” located below the “Extension settings.”
- Select “Users” and select the name of the person who needs their password reset or changed.
- Select “User info.”
- Choose “User password.” The user gets a random password through email if there’s a Generate Random Password policy in place. This can be used to access the account.
- Enter the current and new password in the relevant boxes if no random password policy is generated.
- Provide any other information that is needed. This can be obtained from the user. Click “Save.”
Your password will override all other logins and will have been successfully changed.
Unlock User Accounts
Too many login attempts using an incorrect password will lock your RingCentral account. An admin can help users unlock their accounts.
- Open the admin app and select “Users.”
- Find the Show drop-down and set it to “Locked.”
- Find the user you want to unlock, and in their row, select the red locked icon.
- This will redirect you to a confirmation window where you should click “Yes.”
Configure the User’s Access Key
Admins can configure the access key as well.
- Open the admin application and select “Users.”
- Find the user profile you’re targeting and then click to open it.
- Click the “Access Keys” option and then “Edit.”
- Click “Generate New Access Key.”
- On the resulting page, select “Show Secret Key” and “Copy.”
- The secret key should then be pasted into a file. Save the file in a safe location. The key can now be shared with the user.
- Select “Done.”
If the user loses the secret key, you’d have to generate another access key.
Resetting User’s MFA Secret
Admins can also reset the user’s Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) secret. The MFA is used to uphold account security.
- Select “Users” in the Admin application.
- Select the “User profile” you want to modify and open it.
- Select “Clear MFA Secret.”
Note: if you have a master administrator in the organization, you should never enable the MFA for any reason. If you lose the device or the secret, it can only be reset by contacting RingCentral contact center support to file a ticket.
Changing a Forgotten Password
Changing your password while you still remember it is relatively easy. If it’s forgotten, the account is locked. If that’s the case, you can choose the “Forgot password option.” Your password can be reset as an admin or on the app.
- Navigate to the homepage and select the “Login button” at the top.
- Select “Forgot Password.”
- Enter your Email or main phone number” and the “Extension number.” The extension number is optional.
- Select the “Reset tab.”
- Answer the security question associated with your account.
- Select “Submit.”
- Log in to your email address and find the message from [email protected]. If it isn’t in the primary folder, check the spam folder.
- Click the “Reset your password button” or the reset password link on the Email.
- Follow the instructions to set up a new password and click “Save.”
Inability to Sign In
There are some issues that could make it impossible to sign into your RingCentral account:
- Unsupported browser: If this is the issue, you need to switch to a supported browser. They include Edge Firefox, Microsoft, Safari, and Google Chrome.
- Error signing in: This happens when your phone number, email address, or password isn’t working. You could be using the wrong email or password. The password has to be reset if it’s been forgotten. You also have to recheck your phone number and email. If none of these work, contact your administrator.
- Account deactivation: When you sign in to your account for the first time, you need to confirm the account. This is done by clicking the activation link sent through email. You can contact customer support. If your organization set up your account, they should send a welcome email with a link to activate it.
- Account disabled: A disabled account could be because an Admin disabled it, payment issues, conflicting email addresses, validation issues, or too many sign-in attempts that were unsuccessful.
- Locked account: When you attempt to log in too many times incorrectly, you could be locked out. Wait it out until you’re allowed to try again with the correct information. The account is locked for 1 hour when you make too many wrong attempts. If you’re told that the number, password, or email is incorrect, your Admin can help you. If the authentication app can’t be reached, contact RingCentral support or company admin.
- Account validation issues: This is a 2-step feature that adds a security layer to your account. This generates a text or an email where a security code is sent to you to verify that it is indeed you signing in. If you encounter an error message using this feature, contact the Admin.
What if the email address is wrong?
There are instances when you use an email but then discover it’s wrong. If so, you must ensure the direct extension number is correctly entered. If you can’t access your email, contact technical support to help you change it.
You may be required to answer security questions. This is mainly to verify that you’re the rightful
account owner. Answering the security questions correctly helps you update the email.
What happens when an account can’t be verified?
If you’re a RingCentral admin and can’t remember the security question answers, you must submit a CCAF (Credit Card Authorization Form).
Beef Up Your Security on RingCentral
Changing your password on RingCentral is an excellent way to stay in control of your account. If you have a security concerns, changing your password can restore confidence. Changing passwords helps you gain access to your account in case the password is forgotten.
Have you ever attempted to change your RingCentral password? Did you use any of the tips and tricks featured in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.