How To Send Money Through iMessage
There may come a time when you need to send cash quickly. A convenient way to do so is with iMessage. You can use this app to send cash to family and friends using your Apple Pay account. All iMessage texts are fully encrypted, so when you send money using this service, you can trust that it’s safe and secure.
In this article, we’ll discuss how to send money with the iMessage app from an iPhone, iPad, and even a Mac. Doing so on each is fairly straightforward and is a great way to save time and make payments quickly.
How to Send Money in iMessage on an iPhone
You can easily send money to a friend or family member by using iMessage on your iPhone. All it takes is a few quick taps and you’re done. They’ll be paid from the debit or credit card you have set up with your Apple Pay account. To learn how to send money on an iPhone, follow the steps below:
- Open iMessage app on your iPhone and begin or continue a message to the person you want to send money to.
- Tap the “Apple Pay” button. If you don’t have this option, you can tap the blue icon with an “A” symbol.
- Enter the amount you’d like to send by tapping “Show keypad,” or you can use the “+” and “-“ keys.
- Press the “Pay” button. You’ll be asked to authorize the payment. Do so either with your Touch ID or Face ID.
How to Send Money in iMessage on an iPad
When you need to send money quickly to someone, a great way to do so is from your iPad using the iMessage app. Sending money with the iMessage app on an iPad is similar to the method used to do so with an iPhone. To send money from your iPad, follow these steps:
- Using your iPad, launch the iMessage app.
- Begin or continue a message with the person you want to send money to. Locate and press the “Apple Pay” button. If your iPad doesn’t show this option, then tap the blue icon that has an “A” in its center.
- Enter the payment amount by clicking “Show Keypad” and using the keypad numbers. You can also enter the amount by using the “+” and “-“ buttons.
- Hit the “Pay” button. You’ll have to authorize the payment with either your Face ID or Touch ID.
How to Send Money in iMessage on a Mac
You may want to send money quickly on your Mac. You can do so using the iMessage app on your Mac as long as you sign in to your Apple ID account and have a touchpad ID keyboard. To send money on a Mac, follow the instructions below:
- Launch the iMessage app on your Mac.
- Continue a message with the person you want to send money to or begin a new conversation.
- Click on the “Apple Pay” button or tap on the blue icon containing an “A” in the center.
- Enter the desired payment by either using the keypad or the “+” and “-” keys.
- With the amount set, click the “Send” button.
- To authorize the payment, you’ll need to use the Touch ID pad on your keyboard.
I want to send money with iMessage but don’t have an Apple Pay account. Can I still send money?
Without a valid Apple Pay account, you won’t be able to send money using iMessage. Setting up an account is easy, and all you need is a debit or credit card. To learn how to set up an Apple Pay account, follow these instructions:
1. Using your iPhone or iPad, open the “Wallet” app. You’ll need to be logged in with your Apple ID.
2. Tap the “Add” button.
3. Choose which type of card you’d like to use, either “Debit” or “Credit.”
4. Click “Continue.”
5. You’ll be prompted to add details about your identity and bank information. Follow the onscreen instructions.
6. Once you’ve added all the appropriate information, you’ll need to verify your Apple Pay account with your bank.
What happens after I’ve sent a payment with iMessage? What else do I need to do?
The person you sent the money to will receive a link to accept the payment in the iMessage. Once you’ve authorized the payment, there is nothing else that you need to do.
I sent the wrong amount of money in an iMessage. What should I do?
Fortunately, there is a way to cancel a payment sent in an iMessage. As long as the receiver hasn’t yet
accepted it, you’ll be able to cancel the payment. Here’s how to do it:
1. Open the conversation where you sent the money.
2. Scroll up to find the text that contains the payment and tap on it. This will open your Wallet app.
3. Locate “Latest Transactions” and then tap on the payment you want to cancel.
4. Tap again on the payment.
5. Find “Cancel Payment” and click on it.
I sent money using iMessage to the wrong person. Can I get that money back?
If that person has accepted the payment, unfortunately, you won’t be able to cancel the transaction. You can try sending them another iMessage to try and resolve the problem. If they don’t reply or refuse to work with you, another option is to dispute the payment with Apple Pay.
1. To dispute a payment, here’s what you can do.
2. Using your iPhone or iPad, open “Settings” and select “Wallet & Apple Pay.”
3. Tap on the card that was used for the transaction and then on “Transactions.”
4. Locate the transaction and select it.
5. Click on “Report an Issue.”
6. To chat with a specialist, press “Dispute Charge.”
7. You’ll receive an inquiry that will open in iMessages asking you for more information. Supply them with the details and hit “Send.”
It’s important that you supply them with as many details as possible. Don’t forget to send the message. Failure to respond to the iMessage will stall the dispute process.
Can I send money using iMessage with my iWatch?
Yes, you can use your iWatch to send payments using the iMessage app. You can follow the instructions on how to do so using an iPhone or iPad.
Is an iMessage the same thing as an SMS?
Yes and no. Both can be used to send texts, photos, and all the other things that we commonly use messaging apps for. However, iMessages only work between iPhones and other Apple devices. When sending a text using iMessage the message will be blue. If your message is sent to a non-Apple device, it will be green in color.
Sending Money Using iMessage Is Quick and Efficient
You can use your iPhone, iPad, and even your Mac to send friends and family money in a fast and secure way. Once you authorize the payment, your friend or family member will receive a link to accept the payment. You will, however, need to have an Apple Pay account. The entire process only requires a couple of taps or clicks, and technology does the rest.
Have you sent money to anyone using iMessage? Did you use the same methods we discussed in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.