How to Send a PDF to a Kindle
Kindle devices are great for voracious readers. Carrying bulky novels or documents in your suitcase and reading when you get a chance is challenging for anyone.
Although your primary reason for buying a Kindle was no doubt to read your favorite books on the go, you may not know that the device also supports PDFs. In this article, we’ll show you how to send a PDF to a Kindle.
Why Kindle Devices Are Great Option for Storing PDFs
Did you know that instead of carrying many work files or research papers around, you could save them on your Kindle and read them at your leisure? What’s more, the device can accommodate thousands of books and PDFs.
There are two significant ways to add PDF to Kindle:
- Use an approved “send to Kindle” email address to send the PDF via email to your Kindle.
- Use a USB cable to upload the PDF directly from your PC to your Amazon Kindle account.
The latter is the most popular way of sending multiple PDF files.
However, sending a PDF to a Kindle isn’t a one-click process.
How to Send PDF to a Kindle via Email
This method comes in handy for devices that don’t support the transfer of files to a Kindle account directly via USB. For this method, you need to follow the steps below.
Know Your File Type
To send a kindle to PDF successfully, you have to ensure your file is a PDF, and it must be compatible with Kindle too. This is not the time to guess. However, it’s easy to know your file format. When the file opens on your computer, do the following:
- Right click and select “Properties.”
- You’ll see the file type and know whether compatible or not.
If the file is in another format other than PDF, there are different ways to convert it. The easiest is to try a PDF converter tool. This will help you convert other file formats to PDFs. Note that there are free and paid versions of the tool online. Once you ascertain your file type is PDF, you can proceed to the next step.
PDF to Kindle Find Your Kindle Email Address
You need your Kindle email address to send a PDF to your Amazon device. This might seem easy, but your Kindle has a bespoke email address that you may not know. Follow these steps to find it:
- Go to “Account and Lists” on the top right of the Amazon home page.
- From the drop-down menu, select “Content and Devices.”
- Then, choose “Manage Your Content and Devices.”
- Select “Devices.”
- Scroll down to “Amazon apps installed on devices” then click the Kindle app.
- Under “Installed on Devices”, you will see your device’s information summary. This is where you will find your Kindle email address.
What if You Have Multiple Kindle devices?
Each device has a Kindle email address associated with it, even if they’re registered with one Kindle account. We recommend you save the email address somewhere you can easily find it, as you don’t want to go through the hassle of finding your Kindle email every time.
Approving Your Email Address
You can’t just use any email to send your PDF to your Kindle. It must be approved so that when Kindle receives the file from the address, it knows what to do with it. Ensure the email you input for approval is the one you plan to send your PDF from, or else it won’t work.
- Again, go to “Preferences” on the top bar.
- Select “Personal Document Settings.”
- Scroll down the menu and select “Approved Personal Document E-mail List.”
- This list contains email addresses that can send documents to your Kindle. To enter a new email address, select “Add a new approved email address.”
- Enter your email address and select “Add address” at the bottom of the pop-up page.
This will automatically add it to the list of approved emails for Kindle. If you want to add multiple email addresses, you must get them approved one after the other.
Composing Your Email
After your email is added, the hard work is done, and you’re all set to send your PDF to kindle. Here’s how it’s done:
- Find an email client of your choice.
- Create an email and attach your PDF.
- Send to the Kindle email address you added to your approved email list
- Amazon Kindle Support will send you an email notifying you that your Kindle received a request.
- You have 48 hours to approve the request. Once you do so, your document will be processed and downloaded into the Kindle device you sent it to.
When you open your Amazon Kindle library, you’ll find all the PDFs you sent there alongside your Kindle e-books.
Note: It’s not necessary to add a subject or any other information to the email.
How to Send a PDF to Kindle via USB
This method is not suitable for transferring PDFs to the Kindle app. Instead, use the email method.
- Locate the PDF on your file browser or desktop
- Connect your computer to your Kindle via USB. Once added, you will find it in the Devices attached to your PC.
- Once connected, click on the Kindle and locate the document folder.
- Go back to the PDF, hold your cursor, drag the file from its location and drop it inside the Kindle “document” folder.
Your PDF will be added automatically to your Kindle device so you can read on the go.
How to Use PDF Editing Software to Edit PDF Files Before Sending Them to Kindle
You can easily add annotations or comments to your Kindle using PDF editing software. However, editing a PDF could be a hassle without reliable editing software. There are many PDF editors online. They come as both free and paid. However, the majority of them are open-source.
Get More Out of Your Kindle
As you can see, sending a PDF to a Kindle is a straightforward process. If you follow the instructions outlined in this article, you should encounter no problems in transferring your files to your device.
Which methods for sending a PDF to a Kindle do you prefer? Have you tried any of them out yet? Let us know in the comments section below.