How to Setup and Use Shared Reminders in iOS
The Reminders app included in iOS is a great way to keep track of all of the tasks and events that occupy your day. And while Reminders are nice on an individual basis, you can actually share a Reminders list with other iCloud users to make them truly useful.
Regardless of whether it’s your spouse, children, roommates, friends, or business associates, as long as they have an active iCloud account, you can set up shared reminders for things like grocery lists, bill payments, trip preparations, or collaborative projects. Here’s how to setup Shared Reminders in iOS.
Share a Reminder List
To get started, first launch the Reminders app and you’ll see your Reminder lists. You can share an existing list or create a new list as desired.
- Once your list is created, tap it to expand the list:
- With the list expanded, tap Edit at the top-right:
- This will reveal two options at the top of the list. Select Sharing:
- On the next screen, tap Add person:
- Next, tap the To field and search your contacts for the person or people you’d like to share the Reminders list with. Once you’ve selected your contacts, tap Add:
- Next, you’ll see a summary of the people invited to share your Reminders list. When you’re all set, tap Done.
You can add people without an iOS device to a Reminder list (you can use Reminders online at iCloud.com,) but they must have an active iCloud account. Each person will receive an email notification which they’ll have to accept to complete the process. Until they do, you’ll see a Pending status under their name.
When you return to your Reminders list, you’ll see Shared with… under any of your shared Reminders, which can help you easily identify which lists are private or shared. Once your invitees have accepted, everyone in the shared Reminder list can add, edit, or remove entries, allowing the entire group to stay in sync.
Remove Someone From a Shared Reminder List
If you later want to remove one of your contacts from a shared Reminder list, just follow these steps:
- As before, go to the Reminder List that you would like to remove someone from.
- Tap on Edit.
- Tap on Sharing.
- Find the person you want to remove and swipe right-to-left over their name. A red Stop Sharing button will appear on the right. Tap it to remove the person.
Removing all members from a shared Reminders list will effectively turn it back into a private list that only you can see.
Shared Reminders might just be a can’t-live-without-it feature you if you’re forgetful. However, I can see where it might be problematic for some—after all, you can’t claim you forgot to buy milk when you’ve got a constantly syncing grocery list right in your pocket! We live in the future. A strange future where getting away with being forgetful just isn’t as easy. Do you have any experience, tips, tricks, or questions related to Shared Reminders? Leave a comment below!