The Best Telegram Tips and Tricks – A Beginner’s Guide
Although a relatively new app, Telegram has quickly become one of the most popular messaging platforms. It features an intuitive interface and excellent security. However, while it’s full of countless advanced features, not all users know how to access them.
If you’re struggling to get the hang of the app, don’t worry. We’ll share some of the best Telegram tips and tricks to help you hone your messaging skills.
Without further ado, let’s dive in.
Whether you’re new to Telegram or use it as your primary communication channel, these tricks will allow you to make the most out of the app.
Chat Folders is one of the lesser known but most helpful Telegram features. The app allows users to follow multiple groups and channels, and keeping track of all this information is challenging. When you add private chats to the equation, it’s no wonder why many users feel overwhelmed.
The app stores all conversations in a single panel, and decluttering the chats is no easy feat. That’s where the Chat Folders feature comes in. It allows you to organize your conversations using different labels, and Telegram will store them in the appropriate folder.
Here’s what you need to do to use Chat Folders:
- Click on the hamburger menu in the top left of the app and select “Settings.”
- Tap “Chat Folders” and press the “Create New Folder” option.
- Rename the new folder and select the chats you want to keep there.
- Choose the chats Telegram should keep out of this folder.
Your Telegram screen will switch to a tabbed user interface, making the app easier to navigate.
Telegram recently released a feature that analyzes your location and uses that information to suggest new users and groups. It’s a handy option when you want to broaden your interests and meet new people. Best of all, you can add users without disclosing your phone number.
If you’re interested in adding new people, follow the steps below:
- Tap the Telegram menu and select “Contacts.”
- Press “Find People Nearby.”
You can enable the “Make Me Visible” feature in the People Nearby section to allow others to add your profile.
It’s unpleasant, but it happens to everyone. You hit “Send,” and a quick peek reveals you’ve missed a horrendous typo. With other apps, there’s little you can do to fix it. All you can do is hope the other person understands what you meant to say. However, Telegram has a built-in option for editing sent messages. Follow the instructions below to say goodbye to texting mishaps:
- Press the message you want to change and select the pen-shaped “Edit Message” icon in the upper part of the interface.
- Edit the text.
Keep in mind that after you’ve edited a message, a small “Edited” label will appear next to it. It alerts the recipient that the chat’s content has been changed. Also, after sending a message, you have a 48-hour window to edit the message. This limit doesn’t apply to messages in the “Saved Messages” folder.
If you’re looking for a way to improve your multitasking skills, this tip is for you. It’s Telegram’s version of email scheduling, and you can decide when the app will deliver your message. Here’s how it works:
- Select the appropriate chat and enter your message.
- Hold the send button and choose “Schedule Message” from the list of options.
- Set the desired date and time.
Once the selected date arrives, the scheduled message will appear in the recipient’s chatbox.
Another helpful Telegram trick is the silent messages option. If your friend is in a meeting, running errands, or studying, you might want to contact them without disrupting their routine. With this feature, Telegram will deliver your message, but the recipient’s phone won’t vibrate or generate a notification pop-up. The recipient will continue their tasks even if they haven’t activated “Do Not Disturb Mode.”
When they have free time and check the app, they’ll get back to you. Here’s how you can send silent messages:
- Tap the appropriate chat and type your message.
- Hold the “Send” button.
- Press “Send Without Sound.”
And now you just have to wait until you get a reply.
Like similar apps, Telegram lets you delete messages you’ve sent to your contacts. But did you know you can also delete texts you’ve received from others? The process is relatively straightforward.
- Open the appropriate chat and navigate to the message you want to delete.
- Select the message and press the “Delete” button.
- If you want to remove the text from the other person’s chatbox, check “Delete for all members.”
- Hit “Delete.”
Until recently, Telegram users could only use the self-destruct feature with the Secret Chat option. But now, you can use it in regular chats to self-destruct videos and photos.
- Select a video or photo and press the “Timer” icon.
- Choose the time when the file will disappear from Telegram.
In one of its recent updates, Telegram introduced animated stickers you can add to videos or images. The app is known for its top-quality stickers, and users can now add a dash of fun and creativity to their still images.
Remember that after decorating a picture with stickers, the file will become a GIF, which could slightly degrade its quality. Here’s how you can customize your video or photo with the app’s animated stickers:
- Select the video or image you want to edit and press the small brush icon at the lower end of the screen.
- Click the sticker icon and go through the available options.
- Add the stickers you like the most to your file.
Although Telegram began as a simple messaging app, it seems intent on broadening its list of services. It works well as a photo editor, but now you can use more powerful features to tweak your videos. Follow these steps to use them:
- Tap a chat and pick a video you want to send.
- Select the tuning icon to launch the video editor.
- Play with the options to modify the enhance, exposure, contrast.
Telegram’s video editor has your back if you want a reliable color correction tool.
Currently, the Reminder feature only works in the “Saved Messages” tab. While Telegram users anticipate an upgrade that will implement this option across all the app’s aspects, it’s handy for those who struggle with time management. Here’s what you need to do to set a reminder:
- Navigate to “Saved Messages” and enter a task.
- Press and hold the “Send” option and press “Set a Reminder.”
- Select the desired date and time.
Like Google Calendar, the app will notify you when the task is due.
Although it can help you meet your deadlines, many wish it were available in Telegram’s standard chats.
Unlike similar apps, Telegram boasts seamless cross-platform integration. As a result, you can share GIFs and YouTube videos without closing the Telegram window. Follow these instructions to browse videos and GIFS from the chat screen:
- In the chatbox, use @youtube or @gif and type your search query.
- Browse the results and tap the one you like best.
With similar apps, users are unable to select part of a message. Instead of copying the line with important information, they have to copy the complete response and edit it later. But with Telegram, selecting only part of a message is quick and easy. Here’s how you can do it:
- Navigate to the appropriate chat and press and hold the message.
- Tap the text again and move your finger to select the part you want to copy.
- Press the duplicate icon to save the text to your clipboard.
Telegram’s Slow Mode is a lifesaver for group admins, allowing them to organize conversations and block spam. Once you activate Slow Mode and set a time interval, another group member can only send one message within the selected timeframe. For example, if the interval is 20 seconds, a member must wait for the limit to elapse before sending a new message. To activate this feature:
- Tap the group’s name and select the pencil-shaped “Edit” icon.
- Click on “Permissions” and choose “Slow Mode” from the list of options.
You can have fun in your Telegram group by creating quizzes and polls. The polls can be visible or anonymous, and if you run several groups, you can schedule them to save time.
Follow the instructions below to create a poll:
- Head to your Telegram group and tap the “Attachment” icon.
- Press the “Polls” menu and customize the content of your poll.
And here’s how you can make a quiz:
- Search for @quizbot and press “Start.”
- Select “Create a New Quiz.”
- Type the questions and answers.
- When you’re satisfied with the quiz, send it to your contacts.
It’s easy to dismiss Telegram as a basic messaging app, but its countless features make it stand out from similar platforms. Not only can you edit messages, but you can customize images and videos and organize your groups and chats. The app will likely continue releasing new updates in the future and become even more user-friendly.
Have you used any of the above tricks before? Do you know of other tips we didn’t include in our list? Let us know in the comments section below.