How to Use Canva Magic Write
Gone are the days when Canva was a simple graphic design tool. Since the introduction of their trademark Visual Worksuite, several new features have been released, including Docs, Whiteboards, Presentations, and more.
Magic Write is a brand-new addition to the Canva Docs feature. If you’re new to these tools, worry not. We’re here to explain how Canva Magic Write can bring your visuals and communication to the next level.
Getting Started With Canva Magic Write
Magic Write is Canva Docs’ AI copywriting assistant. It fulfills your commands and gives you starting points for creating new content. The tool is automatically included in your Canva Docs.
Here’s how to use the tool from a text prompt:
- Open your Canva design or create a new Docs project.
- Click the “+ Add magic” button or type “/” to launch the Canva Assistant shortcut.
- Pick “Magic Write.”
- Enter a written prompt into the tool.
- Press Enter.
If you want to use the AI tool on existing text, follow the steps below:
- Highlight the text you want to work with.
- Press “+ Add magic” showing on your current page.
- Pick the “Magic Write” option.
- Insert instructions following the highlighted text. Add space before the instructions by pressing the Up arrow and Enter at the same time.
- Hit Enter to confirm.
You can use Magic Write to add text to your images to complement the design:
- Open the pre-existing Canva template or start a new design.
- Upload an image you want to work with or pick a design from Canva’s library.
- Hit “Text” from the left-hand side of the screen.
- Pick “Magic” from the text option list.
- Enter your text.
- Press “Enter.”
The system will now present a series of text options to complement your image. Pick a style, font, color, and other features to further customize the text. When you create a perfect text option, drag it onto the image and adjust the size.
Benefits and Features of Canva Magic Write
Canva Magic Write has completely reshaped the way you can work with Canva Docs. Some of the notable benefits include:
- Never having to start from scratch. You can tell the smart AI assistant what you have in mind regarding a project, business idea, or design, and the tool will give you solutions.
- Complete integration with the design aspect. The visuals are at the forefront of Canva, even in Canva Docs. You can create custom Design Blocks to keep your audience focused and finish the design off with content made by Magic Write.
- Universal access. You can access Magic Write from all devices. Work on your designs and content on the go, whether you’re on a train, at home, or at a café.
- Team-friendly. Have entire teams participate in idea making and design process with their own contribution from Magic Write.
- Ideal for marketers, small business owners, and anyone who designs content online.
Key features of Magic Write include:
- Long-form text generation
- Short-form text generation
- Text highlighting
- Automatic writing of sentences
- Outline creation
- List creation (pros, cons, strategy lists, etc.)
- Headline generator with catchy titles, headlines, and taglines
- Paragraph generator for stories, blogs, and articles
- / Magic shortcut to access the tool with a single command
- Docs insights or built-in analytics
- Summary generator to extract key elements from content
Use Cases for Magic Write
The AI virtual assistant market is getting bigger day by day. The newest addition to Canva, the AI Magic Write tool, is one of many features that allows you to streamline your workflow.
Magic Write can give you blog post ideas and marketing advice, generate Twitter posts, come up with engaging taglines for your company, and much more. If you know what you need to write but need help to get started, you can ask Magic Write.
The AI tool helps you move from the idea stage to editing, thus significantly lowering work time. If you have a list of keywords you want to use for a post or caption but don’t know how to group them together, Magic Write can help.
This tool also does a great job of giving step-by-step explanations. You can ask it how to grow a fig tree, make béchamel sauce, or even learn a new language online. Go way beyond your design and marketing needs and use Magic Write to become a better cook, reader, or learner.
You can give Canva Magic Write any prompt, and the system will execute it in seconds. For example:
- Write an email marketing strategy for next month.
- Give me ten reasons to learn a new language.
- Write five funny Instagram captions for cat videos.
Here’s an overview of the use cases for Canva Magic Write:
- Social posts
- Business plans
- Creative writing
What to Know About Canva Magic Write
Note that Canva Free offers 25 Magic Write uses. These are valid for a lifetime. If you have any of the following subscriptions, you can use Magic Write up to 250 times:
- Canva Pro
- Canva for Teams
- Canva for Education Admin and Teachers
- Canva for Nonprofits
The 250 uses renew every billing month (different from the calendar month). For users on annual plans, the billing is split into months. For annual plans that start on October 5, the Magic Write limit will reset on the 5th of the upcoming month. Visit your Billing and Plans page to get more information about when your billing month begins.
What Languages Does Canva Magic Write Support?
Magic Write can speak many languages. So far, support exists for English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, Indonesian, Arabic, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Polish, Chinese, Turkish, German, Malay, Korean, Dutch, and Tagalog.
Magic Write Limitations
Although Magic Write is an excellent tool, it’s still in the early stages of development and it’s far from perfect. Here are some of the most important limitations you should be aware of before using the tool for important business decisions:
- The information available to the tool only dates back to mid-2021. If you’re looking for fresh content or information, you’ll have to look elsewhere.
- It cannot create text that is unique or authentic.
- The only guidance for the engine is what you type into the prompt. Give more details about your prompt so it can generate more context-specific results.
- The input limit is around 1500 words.
- The output limit is around 2000 words.
- The text can be cut off in the middle of the sentence if the input or output is higher than the limit.
- In Canva for Education, only teachers and administrators have access to the tool. Students don’t.
The Policy on AI Content
Canva states that there are multiple layers of checks and filters that help deliver safe and objective results. Still, they mention that the tool can generate harmful and offensive content. Should this happen during the use of Magic Write, you’re invited to report the problem to Canva’s feedback team.
Canva Magic Write vs. Chat GPT
Canva has integrated this brand-new AI tool with functionality similar to Chat GPT. If you’ve had a chance to use the latter tool, you’re already familiar with how far new tech can go. Magic Write is like a younger brother of Chat GPT, designed to help designers streamline their workflow.
With Canva Magic Write, you can design and write at the same time. With Chat GPT, you only have access to the text prompt and can’t do much with the results other than copy them to your Canva account to finish the design.
So, if you’re wondering whether Chat GPT is a better option for your Canva designs, you’ll be happy to learn that it’s better to use Magic Write for designing inside the Canva program.
Another difference is that Chat GPT is built to do many things, while the scope of Canva’s AI tool is far more limited. However, Magic Write just gets better the more input you give it in a specific context, making it an excellent long-term companion for your marketing campaigns and brainstorming sessions.
What is Canva Magic Write?
Canva Magic Write is Canva’s in-built AI copywriting assistant that responds to written prompts. The tool makes it easy to make drafts in Canva Docs, including social media posts, blog posts, profile bios, poems, or any other written content.
Is Canva Magic Write free?
Canva Magic has 25 free lifetime queries. You have to sign up for Canva Pro or other premium versions to unlock access to additional queries.
Is Canva Magic Write ChatGPT?
No, Canva Magic Write is a separate AI tool. The tool uses the open-source Chat GPT-3 algorithm, but Magic Write and Chat GPT are two different entities.
Is Magic Write automatically available in my Canva account?
Yes, Magic Write is automatically available in Canva Docs for Canva Free, Pro, Nonprofit, and Team accounts.
Navigating Magic Write With Ease
Canva Magic Write can help you make stunning designs that speak to your audience. It’s also a powerful tool to use outside your business or design processes. Whether you need a new blog post idea, content writing strategy, or a 7-day keto meal plan, this tool has got you covered.
Keep in mind that AI is still in development and you shouldn’t take all answers at face value. If the business or content idea sounds good to you, use it. If a strategy plan or a personal issue answer sounds off, refrain from following its advice.
For what purpose did you mainly use Canva Magic Write? How did this AI copywriting tool help you enhance your content marketing and design? Share your experience in the comments below.