How To Write an Article on Medium
Everyone has a story to tell. Some like to write about an interest of theirs, things like politics or racecars. Others are more comfortable with poetry, while some prefer to write about their favorite recipes and cooking escapades. No matter what you want to share with the world, Medium is a fantastic platform to let your voice be heard.
You already have the perfect article in mind and you’re ready to write and share it. But how do you write an article on Medium? This article will give you all the information you’ll need to get started with Medium, from the signing up process to some helpful advice on what else you can do with this popular writing platform.
How to Open an Account With Medium
Before you can write an article on Medium, you’ll first need to open an account. Opening a free account with Medium is straightforward and takes very little time. With a paid subscription, you can view unlimited articles per month. Within minutes of opening an account you can start writing your article and sharing exactly what’s on your mind. To open a Medium account, follow the steps below:
- Go to the Medium website.
- Click on “Write.”
- Click on the “Start Writing” button in the upper right-hand corner.
- Tap “Create one,” next to the words “No Account?”
- You can sign up using your login credentials from Google or Facebook. Select the one you’d like and either log in or select which email you’d like to use associated with either account.
- You can also open an account using your email address. To create an account with this method, tap “Sign in with email.”
- Type your email address and select “Continue.”
You’ve now created your very own Medium account! Your next step is to begin writing your article.
How To Create an Article
Now that you have an account with Medium, your next step is to write your first article. But don’t worry; it won’t be made public until it’s completed and you’re ready to share it. You can write, edit, and rewrite all you need before publishing. Medium will keep your article in draft form, and it’ll only be available to you. To learn how to begin to write your article, follow the steps below:
- After you’ve logged in to your account, you’ll be taken to Medium’s homepage. On the lower left side of the screen, locate and tap the “Write” icon. It’s the one on the bottom with the square and pencil.
- You’re now taken to the page where you can write your article in draft format, meaning you can write and change anything you want. On the top of the screen, type in the title of your article in the window that says, “Title.”
- Hit the “Enter” key to save the title.
- Now you can begin to write your article in the window that says “Tell your story.”
Medium’s interface is quite easy to use. Write your article as if you were using any type of word processing app. There’s no need to worry about saving your article with Medium. You can write, edit, and rewrite as often as you need. Medium immediately autosaves your article so you can go back to it as many times as you’d like before publishing. To open your saved articles, you need to tap the “Stories” icon above the “Write” icon. There you’ll find a list of the articles you haven’t published yet.
Your next step is to add some design elements to your article and give it a more professional look. Text formatting and adding images within your article will draw more interest from readers.
Add Some Flair to Your Medium Article
It doesn’t matter how well-written your article is; without adding some flair, it may not be read or even taken seriously. Thankfully, Medium has the tools to spice up your document. You can add some basic formatting to your text, like making them bold or in italics, and you can even add images to the body of the article. If this is something that you’d like to learn how to do, follow the steps below:
How to Format Text
- Highlight the word or phrase you’d like to format.
- From the pop-up menu just above the text, you can select which format you’d like to add. Just tap the icon and your text will take on the formatting.
How to Add Images
- Locate where you’d like to add an image by placing your cursor there and hitting “Enter.” On this new line, tap the “+” button.
- Next, tap the “Camera” icon and navigate to the location on your computer where the image is.
- Click “Open” to place the image into the body of the article.
- Repeat steps 1-4 to add additional images.
Now that your article has a more polished look, it’s time to publish and make it available to be read.
How to Publish Your Article With Medium
Once you have your article written and you’re satisfied with the text formatting and images, you’re ready to publish it. Before it’s actually published and can be viewed by others, there are a few things you need to do first. To publish your article on Medium, follow the steps below:
- Tap the “Publish” button in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- On the next screen, you can choose up to five tags to let readers know the content of your article. They should be separated with commas in the “Add a tag” window.
- Now click the “Publish now” button.
Your article is now published on Medium.
What happens after I’ve published my article?
Your article will be posted on your public profile page and will be available to be read by anyone. Additionally, if you have any followers on Medium, it will also be displayed on their homepage. Depending on the tags you’ve chosen for your article, Medium’s algorithm may choose to alert other Medium users who share your interests.
Can I add hyperlinks to my article?
Yes. You can add links to your article by using Medium’s story editor. Just highlight the text or phrase you want your link embedded in and select the “chain” icon. Then paste in the link and hit “Enter.”
Can I earn money by publishing articles on Medium?
Yes, but you’ll first have to join the Medium Partner Program which has three requirements. You must have published at least one story, have a minimum of 100 followers, and be over 18. Once you meet these requirements, you’ll be eligible to earn money each month.
If you meet these requirements, you’ll have the option of metering your article. It’ll be put behind a paywall and only available to paying subscribers. You’ll be paid based on members reading time by receiving a percentage of their subscription fee.
Let Your Voice Be Heard by Publishing Your Article on Medium
Writing your article is the first step to being heard. With Medium, you’ll have the tools to not only write your article, but also to format text, include photos and images, and perhaps earn some money. Medium’s straightforward interface can transform your well-written article into a fantastic, professional-looking masterpiece!
Have you written an article on Medium? Did you use some of the same methods as outlined in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.