How to Add a Ringtone to iPhone Without iTunes
If you have an iPhone but don’t have iTunes, you may find setting the ringtone of your choice challenging. Apple provides a selection of preset songs, but what if you want to use your favorite song?
Unfortunately, Apple has made things a little tricky by stipulating that you pay and download the song from iTunes to use it as a ringtone. But there are ways around this.
In this article, we’ll discuss how to add a ringtone to your iPhone without using iTunes.
How to Add a Ringtone to iPhone Without iTunes
What You’ll Need
Before we dive into adding your ringtone, there are a few things you will need to do first.
The song you want to set as your ringtone will need to be downloaded onto your phone and saved in your iPhone Music Library. Alternatively, you can import and save the song in your Apple Files. Be sure to do this. Otherwise, the steps that follow won’t work.
You will also need to have the Garageband app installed on your iPhone. Garageband is an app designed for use on Apple devices such as iPhones, iPads, and Mac computers and allows users to create podcasts and music files. It usually comes as a native app, but you can download it free from the app store if you don’t have it.
Once you’ve added your chosen song to your device and installed the Garageband app, we can get started.
To get around using iTunes to create your ringtone, you will first need to custom-create a song before setting it as your ringtone.
Creating Your New Ringtone on Your iPhone
- Launch the Garageband app.
- Next, open the “Tracks” section and swipe until you find “Drums.” Now, tap on “Smart Drums” and select the “View” button to take you to the edit section. Apple depicts this button as a series of longer and shorter lines.
- Next, you will need to tap on the “Loop” icon at the top of the screen. This button allows you to browse for your song.
- Choose the “Files” tab and find the song you want to use. Once you have located the song, press down on it for a few seconds, and it will import. If you don’t see the song you’re looking for, click the “Browse Items From Files App” button to search for it.
- Press the “Play” button to run through the track to see where you want the song to begin playing when your phone rings. At the top of the editing screen, you will see what looks like a ruler with a vertical slider pin attached to it. Slide this pin to the point where you want the song to start.
- When you are happy with where the pin is placed, double-click the song. A selection of options will pop up. Choose “Split.” Next, drag the icon with the scissors down to snip your song at your selected point.
- Now, double-tap the portion of the song you don’t want to keep. A menu will pop up. Select “Delete” to remove it from the workspace.
- Next, tap the downward-facing arrow in the top left corner of the screen. Then, from the menu choose “My Songs.”
- Tap and hold down on the music project and then choose “Share.” From the menu, select “Ringtone” followed by “Continue.” Next, name the song. Then, select “Export.” This will save your new ringtone.
- An option will then come up to “Use Sound As.” If you click it, it will allow you to set the song as your ringtone or assign it to a contact. Alternatively, tap “Ok” to save the ringtone so you can set it yourself manually at a later stage.
It is important to note that when you export the song, your iPhone automatically trims the song to a length of 30 seconds. Therefore, if you only want a snippet of the song to play (less than 30 seconds), you will need to cut it from both sides. Doing this allows you to create the segment you want. To do this, repeat steps 5 to 7.
Setting Your Custom Song as a Ringtone on Your iPhone Without Using iTunes
If you selected “Ok” and just saved the song, and you now want to set it as your ringtone, these are the steps to follow:
- Open your iPhone and navigate to “Settings” (the little grey gear icon.)
- Tap on “Settings,” and then choose “Sounds & Haptics.”
- From this menu, choose “Ringtone.” A list of all the ringtones available will drop down. Your newly created ringtone should appear at the top of this list.
- Tap the song to set it as your ringtone.
iPhone Ringtone Created and Set
Creating and setting a new ringtone on your iPhone is challenging if you don’t use iTunes. But if you follow the steps above, you’ll hear your favorite song whenever your phone rings.
The only thing you’ll need to worry about is what song it is you want to hear!
Have you created and set a ringtone on your iPhone without using iTunes? Did you use any of the tips in this guide? Let us know in the comments section below.