How to Play Among Us on a PC
Are you ready to find the Imposter? Among Us is a wildly popular multiplayer online game that centers around a “who-dun-it” premise. Someone in your crew is sabotaging the ship and killing people. It’s up to you to find out who before the Imposter gets you, too.
While Among Us seems to be all over the place, it’s a little unclear how you go about playing it. Do you need a console? Is it only available for mobile devices?
If you want to play Among Us on a computer, you’re in the right place. Discover how to download Among Us on a variety of operating systems and choose the most convenient method.
How to Play Among Us on a Computer?
Playing Among Us on a computer may be convenient for many players, but it’s not as simple as downloading the game from your favorite app store – unless you have MS Windows.
Check out alternative ways to download this party hit onto computers with different operating systems:
Unfortunately, Among Us does not have a native port to work on the Linux platform. There is a workaround, though, using the “Steam Play” feature from Steam. Check out the steps below to get started:
Step 1 – Install Steam
Run this Apt command:
sudo apt install steam
- Enable repositories for “non-free” software.
- Use this wget command to find the necessary Steam DEB package:
wget https : / / steamcdn – a . akamaid . net / client / installer / steam . deb
- Download the appropriate Steam DEB package.
- Install Steam with this command:
sudo dpkg -I steam . deb
Via Arch Linux
If you use Arch Linux, you already have support for Steam’s official app. You can get it through the “Multilib” software repository. Just remember to enable the software in your Pacman configuration file. Once you’ve enabled the file, run this Pacman command below to install the app:
sudo pacman -S steam
Flatpak users also benefit from easy Steam installation because it’s supported on the Flathub app store.
- Enable the Flatpak runtime on your OS.
- Enable the Flathub app store OR execute this command for flatpak remote add:
flatpak remote – add - - if - not – exists flathub http : / / flathub . org / repo / flathub . flatpakrepo
- Run this command to install Steam:
flatpak install flathub com . valvesoftware . Steam
Step 2 – Enable Steam
- Launch the Steam app and log in or create a new account.
- Click on “Steam” in the upper-left corner of the window.
- Scroll down and select “Settings.”
- In the “Settings” menu, scroll down and select “Steam Play” from the left panel options.
- Under the “Steam Play Settings” section, click the box that says ‘’Enable Steam Play for supported titles.”
- Underneath the Steam Play Settings is the “Advanced” section. Check the box that says, “Enable Steam Play for all titles.”
- Click the “OK” button near the bottom of the window to save the changes.
- Select the “Store” button near the top of the window.
- Search for “Among Us” using the search box.
- Go to the Storefront page for the game.
- Select the “Add to cart” green button to purchase the game.
- Follow the prompts to complete the purchase.
- Press the “Library” button to see your game library.
- Right-click on the game title from the sidebar.
- Go to “Properties” and then “Set Launch Options.”
- Type/Paste this command in the launch options box:
PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%
- Press the “OK” button to save changes.
- Select the game and press the blue “Install” button to install it on your computer.
- Wait for the game to install.
- Press the green “Play” button to launch the game.
If you have a Chromebook, the easiest way to play Among Us is with one that has Play Store Support. Follow the steps below to get started:
- Enable Android apps OR go to “Settings” and enable Google Play Store.
- Search for “Among Us” using the search box feature.
- Install the game.
- Open the game from your App Drawer or the Play Store.
For School-Issued or Non-Play Store Supported Chromebooks
You can still play Among Us even if you don’t have access to the Play Store, but it’ll cost you around $5 to buy the game from Steam. Using Steam requires that you either run GeForce Now or set up Linux on your Chromebook.
If you want to use GeForce Now, your Chromebook needs to meet the following requirements:
- Intel Core M3, 7th-gen or later
- Intel HD graphics 600 or later
- 4GB RAM
- External mouse
- At least 15 Mbps
Once you’ve verified those requirements, you can start running GeForce Now using these steps:
- Go to the official GeForce Now website in your browser.
- Press the “Log In” button near the right-hand corner.
- Select “Join Today.”
- Follow the prompts for a new Nvidia account.
- Choose a subscription plan.
- Go to the GeForce Now search bar and search for the game.
- Add it to your library.
- Click the “Play” button.
- Log in to your Steam account.
- Purchase the game.
- Play Among Us using your browser and the power of GeForce Now.
Keep in mind that this method requires that you bought the game from a separate gaming platform, like Steam. If you have to buy it when you log into your Steam account, you only need to pay that $5 once off because it’ll always be in your library.
You may play Among Us on your iOS, but if you wanted to play the game from the comfort of your Mac it may take a little work. There are a few versions that support the game like:
- M1 MacBook Air
- M1 MacBook Pro
- M1 Mac Mini
If you have any of these Mac versions, you can simply go to the Mac App Store and search for the game and download it. All other Mac users can choose one of the methods listed below:
Method 1 – Android Emulators
Android emulators are a great option if you don’t want to use Windows or don’t need it for anything beyond playing Among Us. Scroll down to the Android Emulator section for detailed instructions about using Android Emulators to play the game.
Method 2 – Installing Windows via Bootcamp Assistant
- Go to the official Microsoft page.
- Download the ISO file for Windows 10. You’ll need a USB stick with at least 5GB of space available if you don’t have a DVD driver to burn a disk. Also, getting a license to use Windows 10 isn’t free so be prepared to spend at least $100 or more for the Home Edition.
- Launch “Boot Camp Assistant” with the utility folder or spotlight search.
- Check the boxes that say “Download the latest Windows support software for Apple,” and “Install Windows.”
- Verify your ISO file location in the pop-up or choose your USB stick.
- Allocate hard drive/SSD space for Windows.
- Follow the prompts for installation.
- Download the Steam app from the official Steam website.
- Follow the prompts to install Steam on your computer.
- Log in to your Steam account and download/purchase Among Us.
If you have a Windows PC, playing Among Us is relatively simple. Either purchase the game from the Microsoft Store or the Steam Store. It costs around $5 regardless of which platform you choose. Once you purchase the game, install it on your computer, launch it, and play.
Xbox Game Pass for PC users don’t have to worry about buying the game. It’s currently free if you have a subscription. Simply download it to your computer and launch it to play.
There are plenty of reasons why you’d want to play Among Us using android emulators. Maybe you don’t want to spend $5 to buy it from a platform. Or maybe your computer doesn’t support the game. Either way, android emulators are a great way to play on PC or Mac computers for free. Check out the steps below to find out how:
- Download and install BlueStacks from the official website.
- Access the Play Store and complete the Google sign-in process.
- Search for the game in the search bar in the upper-right corner.
- Install the game.
- Select the game icon on the home screen to begin the game.
When you want to play Among Us, remember that the game is not installed on your computer. It’s installed on the android emulator, so you have to launch BlueStacks first to play the game.
LDPlayer is another android emulator option that’s available for free for both PC and Mac computers. Check out the steps below to start playing:
- Download and install LDPlayer from the official website.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- Launch the LDPlayer and search for the game in the LD Store.
- Press the yellow “Install” button.
- Open the game from the LDPlayer home screen.
If you already have a Steam account or want to start one, installing it onto your computer is relatively simple. Once you have a Steam account, you need to buy Among Us for $5 but it’s yours to keep without any tricky software maneuvering.
- Go to the official Steam website and log into your account OR launch your Steam app.
- Press the “Store” tab and search for “Among Us” in the search bar.
- Select the green “Add to Cart” button and complete your purchase.
- Go to your “Library” and press the blue “Install” button.
- Once the installation is complete, select the Among Us icon from your desktop screen or Start menu OR press the green “Play” button in the Steam app.
How to Create an Account in Among Us?
The devs for Among Us recently updated the game to include a sign-in process. While this has some users confused, creating a sign-in is a relatively simple process. Just press the “Sign In” button and you’ll be prompted to enter a username. Confirm it and you’re signed in.
You can also change your username by selecting the “Account” icon in the upper-left corner of the screen.
How to Get Twitch Pet in Among Us?
Twitch Glitch Pets were a Twitch-sponsored event that ran between December 4th through December 18th. During the event, Among Us players could earn a free cosmetic pet by watching 30 minutes of a Twitch Rivals Among Us Showdown show.
After the half-hour period is up, you’d see a button near the bottom of the Chat panel that said “Claim.” Pressing the button and linking your Twitch account to your Among Us account via game settings unlocked the pet for game use.
Unless there’s another event, the only way to get an Among Us pet now is to buy one. You can do that via in-game shop or from the Steam shop if you use that platform.
Join the Crew With Among Us on Computer
Playing Among Us on a mobile device may be convenient, but sometimes you want the comforts that a computer can provide. Luckily, playing this popular social deduction game is as easy as buying the game or downloading an android emulator.
Do you play Among Us on a computer? Which method do you prefer? Tell us about it in the comments section below.