How to Change the Default Browser on an iPhone or Android
There are many browsers available out there for iPhone and Android users, besides the top ones. Some people even have personal favorites that they like to use because of their unique features. When you open links on your iPhone and Android, they appear on the default browser that you have set on your device.
But what if you don’t like your default browser? What If you want it changed to something else?
Fortunately, there is a way of doing so easily. This article will take you through a step-by-step guide to changing your default browser on your iPhone or Android device.
How to Change the Default Browser on Android
If you’re an Android user, then the odds are that you have Chrome set up as your default browser. However, this need not be your only option. You can update your browser to use Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Opera, Vivaldi, or Brave if you so wish.
Whichever browser you’d prefer to use on your Android device, setting it up as your default option is a relatively straightforward process. Here’s what you need to do:
- From your Home page, head to Settings.
- Select Apps.
- Tap on the three-dotted icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Choose your default apps.
- In this section, search for the browser app.
- To change it, find your preferred Android browser and tap it.
- Your browser will then be reset.
If the browser you wish to download isn’t already on your Android device, then you’ll need to install it via the Google Play Store. To do this:
- From your Home screen, head to Google Play Store.
- Type the name of the browser that you would like to use in the search bar.
- Select Install.
- Once this is complete, follow the previous steps for changing your default browser on your Android device.
It’s worth noting that any links opened using your social media accounts will be automatically opened using the default web browser.
How to Change the Default Browser on an iPhone
It’s a common misconception that Apple operates using a more compact system than Android devices. Unless you are using iOS 14 or above, it is not possible to change your default browser. For this reason, before getting started, the first step is to make sure you’re iOS settings are updated to the latest version.
- From your Home screen, head to Settings.
- Scroll down until you see the app for your browser.
- Once you’ve tapped on the browser, select Default Browser App.
- Choose the browser you wish to use as your default setting, a checkmark will appear beside your chosen browser to confirm.
Additionally, if you haven’t already installed your chosen browser into your iPhone from the app store, then here’s how to do so:
- From your Home screen, tap on the App Store.
- In the search bar at the top, type out the browser’s name.
- Once you’ve found your browser, tap on the download button next to it.
- When your download is complete, follow the previous steps to change your default browser successfully.
Can I Delete Safari from My iPhone?
There is currently no option to delete Safari entirely from any iOS device. However, the app can be disabled. To do this:
1. From your Home screen, head to Settings.
2. Go into Screen time.
3. Tap on Content and Privacy Restrictions.
4. Select Allowed Apps.
5. Using the toggle on your screen, switch Safari to OFF or ON.
Browsing Made Easy
It’s important that users are satisfied with the browser they are using on their smartphones. And everyone may be looking for different things when searching for the right browser. Some may wish to set up an anonymous browser for surfing the web, while others’ goal may be to protect their kids’ online identities.
Whatever the reason, it can be vital to know how to successfully alter your default browser settings on an iPhone or Android. Luckily, the process is relatively easy to do.
However, users should keep in mind that only specific versions of the iPhone (iOS 14 and above) can have the default browser changed. At the same time, it is possible to update your default browser no matter which Android device you may be using.
Have you tried changing your default browser on your smartphone? How did you find the process? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.