How to Change your IP Address on Any Device [It’s Not Hard]
There are many reasons why you’d want to change your IP address. Whether you want to protect your security, keep your browsing activity private, change your online location, or avoid restrictions and bans, changing your IP address is a relatively straightforward process. While you can do it manually, the best method is to use a VPN.
This article will show you the different ways to change your IP address across various devices. We’ll also answer some frequently asked questions about changing your IP address, like its legality.
The Most Common Way to Change an IP Address
There are several ways to change your IP address, depending on whether you want to change your local or public IP address. Your local or internal IP address is assigned to your device by your router, and it’s only used inside your private network. On the other hand, your public or external IP address is assigned to your device by your ISP (Internet Service Provider), and you can’t change it on your own.
If you’re wondering which IP address you should change, local or public, it depends on what you want to do. Changing your local IP address can be done manually, and you’d only need to do it if you’re going to troubleshoot issues with your internet connection.
However, if you want to access geo-blocked content on a streaming service, hide your online location, or protect your online activity, then you should change your public IP address. You can do this by using a proxy server, rebooting your modem, unplugging your router, or with a VPN.
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is the best and safest way to change your public IP address. While there are many VPN apps on the market, one of the most popular options is ExpressVPN. We will use them for the duration of them throughout this tutorial as we have found them to be extremely reliable and secure. Technically speaking, a VPN “hides” your IP address by creating an encrypted connection. This type of connection acts as a tunnel between your device and the internet.
While you can’t choose your new IP address, with ExpressVPN, you can select the geographic region that will be associated with your device. Choosing another geographic area is especially useful when you want to access websites, apps, and streaming services unavailable in your country.
ExpressVPN is compatible with various devices, including Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Chromebook, Linux, and more. You can even use it for Smart TV systems and game consoles.
How to Change Your IP Address on a Mac
The first step of changing your IP address on your Mac is to sign up for ExpressVPN on their website. Once you choose a plan (one month, six months, or 15 months) and a payment method, you’ll need to create an account. Here’s what you need to do next:
- Go to the “My Account” tab on the top menu.
- Type in your username and your password to sign in. You’ll be automatically taken to the setup page.
- Select “Download for Mac.”
- Copy the activation code.
- Follow the in-app instructions to complete the installation process.
- Enter your Mac username and password.
- Choose “Install Software.”
- Paste the activation code into the ExpressVPN window.
- Select “Sign in.”
Now that you’ve installed ExpressVPN, let’s see how you would use it to change your IP address:
- On the ExpressVPN window, click on the “Connect” button.
- Go to the three dots next to “Selected Location.”
- Choose one of the 160 server locations in 94 countries.
When you start using ExpressVPN, your public IP address will be changed or “hidden,” making you an anonymous internet user. You can use this method for MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, iMac Pro, Mac Pro, and Mac mini devices.
How to Change Your IP Address on a Windows PC
The process of installing ExpressVPN on a Windows PC is similar to the process for a Mac. Here’s what you need to do:
- After you’ve created an account on ExpressVPN, go to the “My Account” tab.
- Sign in to your account.
- Click on the “Download for Windows” button.
- Copy the activation code you’ll need for later.
- Click on “Download” again.
- Allow ExpressVPN to make changes to your device.
- Select “Continue” on the ExpressVPN window.
- Proceed to “Set up ExpressVPN.”
- Paste the activation code in the field and sign in.
- Click on the “Connect” button.
- Express VPN pre-selects an optimal location for your device by default. If you would like to change it, click on the three dots next to “Selected Location.”
- Choose a server location.
That’s it. If you’d like to stop using ExpressVPN, then click on the “Connect” button again. Doing so will disconnect ExpressVPN until you want to use it again.
How to Change Your IP Address on a Chromebook
To install ExpressVPN on a Chromebook, you’ll need to download it from the Play Store. Once you install it on your Chromebook, here’s what you need to do next:
- Open ExpressVPN and sign in.
- Click on “OK” to allow ExpressVPN to set up a VPN connection on your device.
- Select the “Connect” button to activate ExpressVPN.
- Click on the three dots next to “Selected Location.”
- Choose your preferred server location.
Keep in mind that you can only use ExpressVPN with apps from Google Play if you have a Chrome OS version lower than v64.
How to Change Your IP Address on an Android Device
Here’s how you can use ExpressVPN to change your IP address on your Android device:
- Go to the ExpressVPN website on your Android device.
- Proceed to “My Account” in the top-right corner.
- Sign in.
- Tap on the “Set up ExpressVPN” option.
- Select the “Get it on Google Play” button.
- Tap on “Install” and open the app.
- Sign in to the app.
- Choose “OK” to allow the app permission to set up a VPN connection.
- Select “OK” again.
- Tap on the “Connect” button.
- Go to “More Options” to switch to another location.
How to Change Your IP Address on an iPhone
The following method can be applied to all iPhone and iPad versions. Follow the steps below to set up ExpressVPN on your iPhone device:
- Visit the ExpressVPN website on your iPhone.
- Go to “My Account” and sign in.
- Select “Download ExpressVPN for iOS.”
- Open the app.
- Tap on the “Connect” button to activate ExpressVPN.
- Go to “More options” to change the server location.
How to Change IP Address on a PS4
Setting up ExpressVPN on your PS4 is a bit more complicated than on other devices. You’ll need to create a DDNS hostname, register your hostname with ExpressVPN, and then configure DNS on your PS4.
You will need to use a third-party DDNS service provider to set up a DDNS hostname. We’ll explain how to do the rest in the following two sections:
Step One – Register the Hostname With ExpressVPN
- Visit the ExpressVPN website and sign in to your account.
- Go to “DNS Settings” on the top menu.
- Under “Dynamic DNS Registration,” type in the hostname you created with the third-party service provider.
- Click on the “Save Hostname” button.
- Go to the “My Subscriptions” page on the ExpressVPN website.
- Click on the “Set up ExpressVPN” button.
- Choose “PlayStation.”
- Write down the DNS server IP address.
Step Two – Set Up the DNS on Your PS4
- Turn on your PS4.
- Go to the “Settings” tab.
- Find “Network” on the menu, and then “Set up Internet Connection.”
- Choose “Custom” and then “Automatic.”
- Select “Do Not Specify.”
- Go to “Manual.”
- Proceed to “Primary DNS.”
- Enter the DNS server IP address.
- Go to “Done” and then “Next.”
- Under “MTU Settings,” choose “Automatic.”
- Choose “Do Not Use.”
Restart your PS4, and the process is complete. Your IP address will be hidden, so you can play any games you want.
How to Change Your IP Address on an Xbox
To set up ExpressVPN on your Xbox, you can view our detailed post on how to connect to a vpn on an Xbox One, or follow instructions below. you will also need to create a DDNS hostname and register the hostname with ExpressVPN. To create a DDNS hostname, you’ll have to use a third-party service provider. Here’s what you need to do next:
Step One – Register the Hostname With ExpressVPN
- Sign in to your ExpressVPN account on your browser.
- Find “DNS Settings” at the top of the page.
- Enter your hostname under “Dynamic DNS Registration.”
- Go to “Save Hostname.”
- Proceed to “My Subscriptions” and then to “Set up ExpressVPN.”
- Scroll down and select “Xbox.”
- Write down the DNS code.
Step Two – Set Up the DNS on Your Xbox
To configure the DNS on your Xbox, the language must be set to English, and the location has to be the United States. Here’s what you need to do next:
- Turn on your Xbox and go to “Settings.”
- Go to “Network,” followed by “Network Settings.”
- Proceed to “Advanced Settings.”
- Choose “DNS Settings” and then “Manual.”
- Enter the primary DNS from the Express VP website.
- Enter the same code for “Secondary DNS.”
- Press “B” on your console to save the settings.
How to Change Your IP Address on a Router
To change your IP address on a router, follow the steps below:
- Open your browser and enter your router’s IP address.
- Log in to the router as an administrator.
- Go to “Setup” and then “Network Settings.”
- Proceed to “Router Settings.”
- Enter the new IP address.
- Select “Save Settings.”
You can also just restart your router. After you unplug it, leave it for a couple of minutes. When you plug it back in, the IP address automatically changes.
How to Change Your IP Address Without a VPN
If you don’t want to use a VPN, you can change your IP address manually. This process is different for every device. For example, if you’re using Windows, you can configure your IP address in Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter setting. For Mac, you’d need to go to System Preferences > Network> Advanced, and so on.
You can also automatically update your IP address on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android devices.
Does changing my ip address change my location?
Technically speaking, changing your IP address changes your online location. You can change your IP address with a VPN or a proxy server. If you use a VPN, you’ll get a unique IP address in almost any location in the world. Although you might not be able to choose your exact IP address, you can usually choose the geographical region.
Is changing your ip address legal?
Changing your IP address is completely legal. People change their IP addresses regularly to improve their online security, access geo-locked streaming services, and avoid bans and blocks. What’s more, if you use a VPN, there is no way to know that you’ve changed your IP address.
Explore the Internet With a New IP Address
No matter which method you choose to change your IP address, you will add an extra layer of protection to your online identity. There are many reasons why you might want to change your IP address, and it’s just a couple of clicks away.
Have you ever changed your IP address before? Did you use a VPN or another method to do it? Let us know in the comments section below.