How to Change your Location on a Chromebook
Finding out the online content you want to watch is unavailable in your region can be frustrating. But thankfully, if you use a Chromebook, you can easily change your virtual location to get access to almost any content you wish. If you’re wondering how to do this, we’re here to help.
This guide will provide instructions on changing your virtual location on a Chromebook using a virtual private network (VPN) app or browser extension. Read on to discover how to connect your Chromebook to a server in any region and get access to the content you want.
How to Change your Location on a Chromebook with an Android App
The easiest way to change your virtual location on a Chromebook is to use a VPN. Even if you don’t want to change your location, using a VPN is never a bad idea to ensure a more secure browsing and streaming experience. To install a VPN on your Chromebook, follow the steps below:
- Visit ExpressVPN and sign up for the desired plan. You’ll create a login as part of the sign-up process.
- On your Chromebook, launch the Google Play Store app (a multicolored triangle on a white background).
- Type in “ExpressVPN” into the search bar, then click the magnifying glass icon.
- When you find ExpressVPN, click “Install,” then “Open.”
- In the app, click “Sign in” and enter the email address and password you used to register on the ExpressVPN site. Click “Sign In” again.
- Give the app the necessary permissions by clicking “Ok.”
- When the app is set up, you’ll see a large power button on the main dashboard. Expand the dropdown menu under the power button and select the desired server location.
- Click the power button to connect to the selected server. Once the power button turns green, your VPN is set up.
How to Change your Location on a Chromebook with a Chrome Extension
Apart from installing the ExpressVPN app, you can get a Chrome extension that serves as a remote control for the ExpressVPN app and solves privacy vulnerabilities in the browser. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Visit ExpressVPN and sign up for the desired plan. You’ll create a login as part of the sign-up process.You can’t use the Chrome extension without installing the app.
- Follow the instructions provided in the previous section to set up ExpressVPN on your Chromebook.
- Open your Chrome browser and click “Get Extension” on this page.
- When the extension is uploaded, click its icon at the top of your screen, then click the power button to connect to VPN.
In this section, we’ll answer popular questions related to using a VPN.
Why Use a VPN?
A VPN enables you to connect to a remote location virtually to allow you to access content unavailable in your region. It masks your real location and also secures your network, concealing your online activity from third parties. Plus, some internet providers slow down your connection once you consume a certain amount of data per period. A VPN helps to prevent data throttling, as your provider won’t be able to identify your device.
Get the Best From VPN
Now that you’ve installed a VPN on your Chromebook, you can view almost any content regardless of your location. But a VPN provides more advantages than just a virtual location change. It also keeps your private data safe and prevents data throttling. If you aren’t yet sure whether you need one, sign up for ExpressVPN’s free trial and check all the benefits for yourself.
Which content or services do you wish were available in the U.S.? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.