How to Change Your Phone Number in Outlook
Changing your phone number in Microsoft Outlook can be confusing, especially since there isn’t a dedicated webpage. Its direct connection to your Microsoft Account can make managing your profile rather inconvenient.
In this article, we’ll teach you how to change your phone number easily, and manage your profile information.
Changing Your Phone Number in Outlook
The Outlook email service is directly connected to your Microsoft account. If you wish to edit your phone number in Outlook, then you’ll edit it in your Microsoft Account profiles. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open the Outlook website.
- Click on your profile icon in the upper right corner of the screen to open Account Manager.
- On the dropdown menu, choose My Profile.
- Click the Your Info tab at the top.
- On this new page, click Edit account info. Then, sign into your account again.
- Select the phone number you want to change, then click Remove. There’s no direct way to edit a number. You’ll have to take it out to change it.
- Click Add Phone Number.
- Enter a new number that you want for your account. Click Next.
- A code will be sent to your phone. When received, enter the verification code.
- Your number will now be set to your account.
Alternatively, you could also enter a new number without deleting the old one. You can then click Make Primary to confirm it as the primary number associated with your account.
Add and Change Email Addresses
To add or change associated email addresses on your Outlook account, you can do the following:
- Proceed to the Contact Info tab by repeating the steps outlined above.
- Choose an email address associated with the account. It doesn’t matter whether it’s the primary address or not. You’ll be redirected to your Microsoft Account Info page,
- If you want to add an email, click Add email.
- You’ll be redirected to an Add Alias page. You can either create an Outlook email or associate an existing email with your Outlook account. Once you’ve chosen, click Add Alias.
- If you want to remove an email address, choose which one you want to delete and click Remove. You’ll be asked to verify the email address deletion by clicking Remove again.
Can’t Add a New Phone Number
If you tried updating your phone number and receive a “This alias cannot be added to your account. Choose a different alias” error, Microsoft won’t let you move forward. The reason you see this error is because the phone number or email that you’re trying to add is associated with another account.
Although you may have never linked the phone number with an account, the person who had your phone number before you, may have.
Unfortunately, this is a common problem with Microsoft accounts and isn’t easily fixed. Per Microsoft’s policy you can’t reuse an Alias. Therefore, even if the person who had your number before you deleted their account or removed your phone number, it still isn’t available for use.
If you can’t add your phone number to your account, your best option is to contact Microsoft Support and try to get additional assistance.
Changing Profile Information
You can edit your current profile information by heading to your My Profile page. This page allows you to add a picture, and manage your name, date of birth,region, and display language. Except for adding a picture and changing your display language, you’ll have to enter your sign-in credentials to proceed.
Be aware that updating the data on this page changes it for the entire Microsoft Account. It’s important to remember this because it affects not only Outlook, but also other Microsoft accounts connected to it, like Skype and Xbox Live.
Enabling Two-Step Authentication.
A great way to both secure your account and make it easier for you to log in to change information would be to set up Two-Step Authentication. Here’s how to do it:
- Open Outlook, click on your icon at the upper right, and choose My Account.
- Scroll down the page until you see the Update your security Info box. Click on it.
- Click on More Security Options. It’s the rightmost box.
- On the Two-Step Verification menu, choose set up two-step verification.
- Enter your security credentials when prompted.
- Click Next.
- Now you can choose how to set up how the verification is made. You can choose an app, a phone number, or an email address. Choose an option, then click next or get the app.
- You’ll be sent a verification code if you chose an email address or a phone number.
- You’ll be directed to download the Microsoft Authenticator App if you choose an app.
Frequently Asked Questions
Microsoft, although incredibly popular, isn’t always user-friendly. If you’re left with more questions, keep reading.
What is a Microsoft Account Alias?
An alias is another term for a phone number or email address that you can use to sign into your Microsoft account. For example, if you need to log in, you can input your phone number, Outlook email, or another email (Gmail, Hotmail, etc.).
How do I change my primary alias on my Microsoft account?
After you’ve added a new phone number or email, you can choose which one you’d like to make the Primary. All you need to do is head to your Contact info page and select ‘Make Primary’ next to the alias you want to use.
Keeping an Up to Date Profile
Without a doubt, an up-to-date profile helps Outlook perform its job better. Knowing not only how to change your phone number but your other information as well makes sure that your profile is always current.
Have you ever changed your phone numbers in Outlook? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.