How to Change Your Username on Reddit
If you’re new to Reddit, one of the first things you’ll notice after setting up your account is having a default username. But what happens if you want to change it to something less generic than Virtual-Image561 or Traditional_Rate7196? If this is a change you wish to make, this article has you covered all the way. You’ll see how to change your username (newly assigned ones), birthday, flair, age, and more on Reddit. Let’s get started!
Changing Your Name on Reddit?
Back in 2020, Reddit revealed to the Wall Street Journal that it had 52 million daily users. That’s 52 million usernames! If you want to stick out from the crowd of randomly assigned usernames, you need to make that change yourself. Fortunately, doing so is a quick and easy process that only includes a few steps.
Important Note: This guide only explains adding a new username if you’re a new user still using your randomly assigned name. Once you change it to a new one, you cannot make any username corrections under that account. Therefore, be wise in making your decision!
How to Change Your User Name on Reddit on iPhone?
If you’re an iPhone user wanting to change your Reddit username, follow these simple steps:
- Launch the Reddit app on your iPhone, register or log in to your new account, click on your avatar, then tap on the “My Profile” option. Account must be fairly new with an existing Reddit-assigned name to work.
- Reddit will ask you to confirm whether you want to use your randomly assigned username or change it to a new one. Tap on “Change Username.”
- Type the username you wish to use. Beware that this option is a one-time action. You won’t be able to make corrections later. Tap on “Next” in the upper right-hand corner to save your new username.
- Reddit will ask you to confirm that you want to use that username forever. Tap on “Save Username.”
You have now edited your username to your liking.
Please note that if you’ve already signed up with a username (not assigned by Reddit) at some point or had an existing Reddit-assigned name for some time, you can’t make changes to it. You can only make changes to your display name at the registration point or for a limited time. What you can do if stuck is register with a new account and choose another username.
How to Change Your Username on Reddit on Android?
If you’re an Android user wanting to change your Reddit username, follow these simple steps:
- Launch the Reddit app on your Android device. Log in with your existing, fairly fresh Reddit-assigned account or register with a new one.
- Click on your avatar in the upper left-hand corner. Tap on the “My Profile” option.
- Reddit will ask you to confirm whether you want to use your randomly assigned username or change it to a new one.
- Tap on “Change Username.”
- Type the username you wish to use. Beware this is a one-time action, and you won’t be able to make corrections later.
- Tap on “Next” in the upper right-hand corner.
- Reddit will ask you to confirm that you want to use that username forever.
- Tap on “Save Username.”
Please note that if you’ve already signed up with a username not assigned by Reddit or have an older Reddit-assigned username, you won’t be able to change it. What you can do is register with a new account and choose another username.
In closing, maybe you wanted to change your teenage username on Reddit, but you were left disappointed because this is not something you can do. Allowing only one username forever is Reddit’s way of combatting cybercrime. The only time you can change your username is while setting up your account.
What Reddit is really about is the community, discussion, and idea exchanging. Your name and age don’t mean anything here. That’s why there isn’t even an option to add your birthday. However, they do ask for your gender when registering.
Reddit Username FAQs
How Do I Correct My Username?
Unfortunately, Reddit doesn’t allow making corrections to usernames. You’re only allowed to choose one username that stays forever. What you can do is create a new account with a new name. Just keep in mind that your previous account activity won’t be synced to the new one, even if you sign up with the same email.
What Is Flair?
In a nutshell, flair is a tag you see next to a username or post title in specific subreddits that allow it. You can often see people from a particular group (like famous basketball club fans) put the same flair as a recognition sign. Flairs are also helpful to filter out content you don’t want to show on your feed. You can add flairs by going to a specific subreddit and looking for the “Add flair” option in the “Community details” sidebar on the right.