How to Change Your Username on Reddit
If you’re new to Reddit, one of the first things you’ll notice after setting up your account is having a default username. What happens if you want to change it to something less generic than Virtual-Image561 or Traditional_Rate7196? If changing your Reddit name is something you want to do, this article shows you how to do it. Let’s get started!
Qualifications Required to Change Your Reddit Username
In 2020, Reddit revealed that it had 52 million daily users to the Wall Street Journal. That’s 52 million usernames! Who knows where it stands today!
If you registered for a Reddit account directly, you already created a username using custom credentials and cannot change it. However, you can always create a new account.
Many people registered using their Google or Apple account rather than set one up from scratch. Those users received randomly assigned names on Reddit, which is one of the three requirements needed to change your username.
If you want to stick out from the crowd of randomly assigned usernames, you need to make that change yourself. Fortunately, doing so is a quick and easy process that only includes a few steps. that does have a few requirements:
- You must register for a new account (time limit to change username is unspecified).
- You must register using a Google or Apple account (auto-generates the username you can change).
- You must have an auto-generated username.
Reminder: Once you have chosen a custom name for your Reddit account, it will be permanent. You may only change a name if it is auto-generated, and once you change it to a new one, you cannot make any corrections under that account. Therefore, be wise in making your decision!
How to Change Your User Name on Reddit on iPhone
If you’re an iPhone user wanting to change your Reddit username, follow these simple steps:
- Confirm that you can change your username by logging into the Reddit app and clicking on your “Profile icon.”
- Then tap on the “My Profile” option. The account must be fairly new with an existing auto-generated username to work.
- If you receive a popup asking if you want to change your username, tap on “Change Username.”
- Type the username you wish to use. Beware that this option is a one-time action. You won’t be able to make corrections later. Tap on “Next” in the upper right-hand corner to save your new username.
- Reddit will ask you to confirm that you want to use that username forever. Tap on “Save Username.”
You have now edited your username to your liking.
Note: If you’ve already signed up with a username (not assigned by Reddit) or had an existing Reddit-assigned one for some time, you can’t change it. If stuck with a name you don’t want anymore, you can always register for a new account and choose another username. Bear in mind that this action does not import all your history, followers, or anything else!
How to Change Your Username on Reddit on Android?
If you’re an Android user wanting to change your Reddit username, follow the simple steps below.
- Confirm that you can change your username by first launching the “Reddit” app.
- Click on your “avatar,” then tap on the “My Profile” option.
- If you can change your Reddit username, a popup will appear asking you to confirm your randomly assigned username or to change it to a new one. Tap on “Change Username.”
- Type the name you wish to use. Beware this is a one-time action, and you won’t be able to make corrections later.
- Tap on “Next” in the upper right-hand corner.
- Reddit asks you to confirm that you want to use that username forever. Tap on “Save Username.”
Please note that if you’ve already signed up with a username not assigned by Reddit or have an older Reddit-assigned one, you won’t be able to change it. You can always register with a new account instead and choose another username.
How to Change Your Username on a Web Browser
If you prefer to use Windows, Mac, Linux, or even Chrome OS to change your randomly assigned Reddit username (instead of using the Reddit app on a mobile device), perform the following steps:
- On the Reddit home page, click on your “profile avatar” in the upper right-hand corner.
- Choose “Profile” from the menu list.
- A pop-up will appear asking you to update your username. Click “Change Username.”
- Input your desired username in the box. Then, click “Continue.” Pay close attention to the red text under your username. Reddit has criteria that your name must meet, and it’ll tell you if the username is available.
In closing, Reddit is really about is the community, discussion, and idea exchanging. Your name and age don’t mean anything there. Also, your username only appears on your profile page. Everything else you do on Reddit uses your “Display Name,” but you have to make one within your profile settings. You can change the “Display Name” anytime you want, and there are no limits.
When it comes to usernames, maybe you wanted to change your teenage username on Reddit, but you were left disappointed because this is not something you can do? Perhaps your profile has a bad rep? Maybe you had too many confrontations with other users? No matter your situation, allowing only one username forever is Reddit’s way of combatting cybercrime. You can only change your username while setting up your account. Lastly, if you plan on using flairs, choose your username wisely.
Reddit Username FAQs
How Do I Correct My Username?
Unfortunately, Reddit doesn’t allow making corrections to usernames. You’re only allowed to choose one username that stays forever. What you can do is create a new account with a new name. Remember that your previous account activity won’t be synced to the new one, even if you sign up with the same email.
What is a flair next to the username?
In a nutshell, flair is a tag you see next to a username (or post) title in specific subreddits that allow it. You can often see people from a particular group (for example fans of a specific sport team) put the same flair as a recognition sign. Flairs are also helpful to filter out content you don’t want to show on your feed.
If I deactivate my account, can I reuse my username?
You may have the urge to deactivate your Reddit profile and start over fresh. Unfortunately, you can’t use the same username if you deactivate your Reddit account. You’ll need to create a new one with a new username. However, you can make and use as many profiles as you like.
How do I switch accounts?
If you can’t have the username you want, you can create a secondary account and switch between the two (or three, or more). Here’s how you can easily switch between your Reddit accounts on the mobile app:
1. Open Reddit and tap on your profile image in the upper left-hand corner. Then, tap Settings.
2. Tap on the Account Settings for your username.
3. Tap the down arrow to the right of Switch Accounts.
4. Select the account you wish to use.
If you want to switch between accounts on a web browser without logging out, you’ll need the help of a browser extension. Installing something like RES will help you accomplish the task.
Reddit Usernames: A Permanent Decision
While it may not seem like it, choosing a Reddit name is a big decision because it is permanent. Take your time when creating an account, our allow Reddit to auto-generate your name by signing up with a Google or Apple ID to give yourself some extra time.
Do you have any opinions on Reddit’s policy on usernames being permanent? Please share them in the comment section below.