How To Connect a Yahoo Email Address to Outlook
Yahoo mail has been around for decades. This once very popular email program now seems outdated and clunky. Many users are switching over to Microsoft’s Outlook which has a more updated and professional feel.
But what do you do if you want to use Outlook as your main email but don’t want to give up your Yahoo address and all of the contacts you’ve accumulated over the years? Fortunately, you can connect your Yahoo mail address to Outlook.
How To Connect a Yahoo Email Address to Outlook
Outlook allows you to connect up to five accounts from other services, and Yahoo Mail is one of them. Connecting your Yahoo account not only lets you send and receive mail but also imports your old messages. To begin the process, you’ll have to make a few adjustments to your Yahoo account.
Change Your Yahoo Mail Security Settings
To connect your Yahoo email address to Outlook, you’ll need to make a few quick changes to your Yahoo security settings. This is what you’ll need to do:
- Log in to your Yahoo Mail.
- In the top-right corner of the screen, click on the “Profile” icon.
- Scroll down and select “Account Info.”
- Tap on “Account Security.”
- Toggle the switch to the “on” position for “Allow apps that use less secure sign in.”
You’ll need to create an app password to allow Yahoo Mail to connect to Outlook. Here’s how you do it:
- Go back to your Yahoo Mail main page.
- Tap on the “Profile” icon located in the top-right corner of the page.
- Click on “Account Info” and then on “Account Security.”
- Press “Generate app password.”
- Using the drop-down menu in the popup window, choose “Outlook Desktop” and then press the “Generate” button.
- Copy or write down the 16-digit password. You can disregard the spaces between each group.
Add Your Yahoo Account to Outlook
Now that you’ve made the necessary security changes in Yahoo and have generated an app password, you’re ready to add your Yahoo account to Outlook. To continue, follow the steps below:
- Sign in to your Outlook account.
- Click on the “Gear” icon in the upper-right part of the screen.
- From the drop-down menu, choose “Connected Accounts.”
- Tap on “Other email accounts.”
- For “Connect your email account,” type in your display name.
- Enter your Yahoo email address and password, or you can use the 16-digit app password.
- You’ll have the option of where you’d like your Yahoo emails to be stored.
- Choose either “Create a new folder for imported emails” or “Import into existing folders.”
- Tap “OK” and then “OK” again to confirm.
How to Import Your Yahoo Contacts to Outlook
Now that you have your Yahoo email address connected to Outlook, you may want to import your Yahoo contacts. You won’t have to hand copy or cut and paste them one by one into your Outlook account. This step is optional. If you’d like to do this, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Yahoo Mail account.
- Click on the “Contacts” icon located in the top-right part of the page.
- Tap three-dot icon and using the drop-down menu, pick “Export.”
- Choose “Microsoft Outlook” and hit “Export Now.” Take note of where the file is saved.
- Log in to your “Outlook People” page.
- From the top menu, select “Manage” and from the drop-down menu, press “Import contacts.”
- Select “Yahoo Mail” and then hit the “Browse” button.
- Locate the Yahoo contacts file you previously downloaded and hit the “Open” button.
- Tap the “Import” button.
Once these steps are completed, your Yahoo contacts will be available to you when using your Outlook account.
How to Import Your Yahoo Calendars to Outlook
Although optional, you can import your Yahoo calendars to your Outlook account. The process to do so is similar to how you import contacts. To learn how to do this, do the following:
- Login to your Yahoo Mail account.
- Tap on the “Calendars” icon in the upper-left corner.
- Under the “My Calendars” heading, pick the calendar you want to import and hit “Export.”
- Tap the “Export” button and take note of where it is saved.
- Sign in to Outlook Calendars on Outlook.
- Click on “Add Calendar.”
- Using the drop-down menu, choose “From file.”
- Tap “Browse,” locate the Yahoo calendar file you exported, and hit “Open.”
- Press the “Save” button.
If you have other Yahoo calendars you’d like to import, repeat the steps above for each one of them.
Connecting Your Yahoo Email to Outlook Solved
You can easily switch your Yahoo email to Outlook. Not only can you add your email account to Outlook, but you can also bring over your contacts and calendars. Fortunately, the methods to do so are straightforward. You can keep your Yahoo email address but use it via Outlook.
Have you connected your Yahoo email address to an Outlook account? Did you use the methods outlined in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.