How to Create a Poll in iMessage on an iPhone or iPad
iMessage continues to uphold its reputation as one of the best chat apps around. Apple users rely on its unique features like end-to-end encryption for regular messages and group chats.
One helpful group chat feature seen on other chat apps is polling. Polls can be used to make decisions or arrange plans. However, Apple doesn’t support polls for iMessage as of yet. But don’t worry, because where there is a will, there’s always a workaround. You can create an iMessage poll with the help of a third-party app.
Read on to learn how to how to create polls in your group chats.
How to Create a Poll in iMessage on an iPhone
Although polls can be created in a regular chat, it’s ideal for group chats. If you have a group chat ready to go, jump to the “Download Poll for iMessage App” section. If not, here’s how to get a group chat started using your iOS device:
- Open the “Messages” app.
- At the top-right, press “Compose.”
- Either enter the name of your contacts or tap the plus (+) sign to add from your contacts.
- Now enter what you’d like to say to the group in the text field, then press the “Send” icon.
You have successfully started a group chat.
If you decide to add extra members to the group chat, do the following:
- Launch “Messages” and access the group chat.
- Under the group name, press the arrow.
- Select “info,” then “Add Contact.”
- Type the contact’s name or press the plus (+) to choose a member from your contacts.
- When selected, press “Done” and “Done” again.
Download Poll for iMessage App
iMessage doesn’t support polls, so you’ll need to download the “Polls for iMessage” app from the App Store before creating your group chat poll:
- From iMessage, tap the blue App Store icon or access the App Store from its app.
- Press the “Search” icon and enter “Polls for iMessage.”
- The app will appear in the list. Tap “Get” to download and install it.
Create a Poll
To create your poll using “Polls for iMessage:”
- Go to the group chat you want to send the poll to.
- Tap the gray Apps draw icon, then the “Polls” icon.
- The app will open on the bottom half of your screen.
- Press the “Get Started” button. The overlay screen will expand.
- Enter the name of your poll, e.g., “where should we meet?” and tap “Next.”
- Hit “Add Option” to enter your poll options. You can add as many options as you want, but the minimum is two.
- A text box will open. Either enter text or paste copied text or links. If you paste a link, it will appear as an option.
- The app has a smart calendar to help you decide on a date or time. To use it, start typing a time, day, or date. A calendar suggestion will appear. Tap it to add it to the poll.
- After adding one, you can press the minus sign (-) icon at the top-right to delete an option.
- If you’d like to rearrange the options’ order, long-press the three vertical lines icon to the left of the option, then move it to a new position.
To edit your poll settings, tap the “Settings” icon at the bottom-right corner. Here you’ll see four control options:
- “See who voted:” With this option enabled, everyone in the group chat will see who voted for which choice.
- “Add Options:” With this checked, other group chat members can add options to the poll. They can’t delete or modify options set by you.
- “Declare a Winner:” When this is enabled, a winner is declared when voting is over.
- “Multiple Votes:” This allows members to cast multiple votes.
These options are enabled by default. Uncheck them to disable.
Finally, to save your poll:
- Leave the “Settings” page and go back to your poll by tapping the “Back” option at the top-left corner.
- Once you’re happy with the poll, hit the “Send Poll” button to send it to the group.
How Do You Vote in a Group Chat?
To participate in an iMessage poll, you’ll need to install the “Polls for iMessage.” First, visit the App Store to download and install the app, then follow these steps:
1. Access the poll sent to you or the group chat.
2. Select your choice, then press “Send Vote.”
Gather Everyone’s Opinion With an Encrypted iMessage Group Chat Poll
Using opinion polls in your iMessage group chats is especially helpful for planning group events, gathering opinions about something, and for many other reasons. The cool thing about using this feature is that group members can vote at their convenience, the same way messaging works. The whole thing is kept private thanks to iMessage’s end-to-end encryption.
Polls are not a native feature to iMessage as yet. Therefore, the “Polls for iMessage” app will need to be installed to set up a poll and participant in one. It’s free, easy to use, and gets the job done.
Do you enjoy participating in opinion polls in general? What types of topics do you like offering your opinion on? Tell us about it in the comments section below.