How to Delete Downloads in Spotify
One of the best features of Spotify Premium is being able to listen to songs offline. You can download entire playlists on your phone and stream music no matter where you are. However, one downside to this Premium feature is that Spotify downloads tend to take up a lot of memory in your storage, especially if you have a large number of playlists.
In this guide, we will show you how to remove downloaded songs and other data from your device. Additionally, we will answer some of the most frequently asked questions related to Spotify.
How to Delete Downloads From Spotify?
Before we go into the details of removing downloaded content, we need to specify the location of the downloaded songs. The songs are actually in the same place –the Spotify Library. So unlike the music on your device, which you can delete by simply tapping and removing it from your phone, the process of deleting downloaded songs from Spotify is a little different.
Here is how to do it in a couple of easy steps:
- Open the Spotify app.
- Go to “Your Library” in the bottom right corner.
- Enter the album or playlist that you want to remove.
- Locate the green download button (it looks like an arrow pointing down) and click it.
This step will automatically remove all the downloaded songs from your device. Keep in mind that just because you removed the downloaded songs from your phone, does not mean that they are deleted from your Spotify Library as well. The songs are still there; you just can’t listen to them without an internet connection.
When it comes to the songs in your Liked folder, the download button looks different. It’s also green and is located on the top right side of your screen. Just tap the button and it will turn gray, which will automatically delete all the downloaded songs that you had previously liked.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the newest mobile app version doesn’t allow you to delete a specific downloaded song, just like you can’t download a single song. You can only download an entire album or a playlist, and vice versa.
What About Podcasts?
In case you didn’t know, you can also download entire podcasts or specific episodes you are interested in. Once you’ve finished listening to them, you can delete downloaded podcasts in the exact same manner. The only difference is that you do have the option to download and remove specific episodes of a podcast.
Deleting Downloads From Spotify on Your PC
If you also listen to Spotify on your computer, then you have the option of removing the downloaded songs from there too. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open the Desktop app and make sure you are already logged in.
- Navigate to Your Library.
- Go to the playlist you want to delete from your computer.
- Click on the green Download button.
By doing so, you will successfully delete the songs that had been previously downloaded, without removing them from your Library.
How to Uninstall Spotify?
You can delete Spotify in different ways, depending on the type of device you have. Below, we’ll show you how to remove the app from all your devices step by step.
How to Remove Spotify From an iPhone?
When deleting any app, be sure to get rid of all that unwanted cache that just takes up room for no reason. You can do so by following these steps:
- Open the app and go straight to Settings.
- Scroll down to find Storage.
- Click the Delete Cache button.
Now we move on to removing the app from your phone for good.
- Go to Settings on your phone, scroll down to General.
- Find iPhone storage, go all the way down until you find Spotify.
- First, tap the option Offload App.
- Then tap on the option below – Delete App.
- Restart your phone if necessary.
How to Remove Spotify From an Android Device?
To completely erase Spotify from your Android, follow these steps:
- Open Settings and go straight to Apps.
- Find Spotify and immediately go to Storage.
- Tap the Clear Cache and Clear Data option.
- Navigate back to the app and click Uninstall.
- Turn your phone off and then back on.
Keep in mind that Spotify can be pre-installed on some devices. If this is the case with your phone, you don’t have the option of deleting the app completely. You can only disable it, which is a safe alternative. By doing so, the app won’t appear on your screen anymore.
How to Remove Spotify From Windows 10?
Apart from installing Spotify on your phone, you can also download it on your computer. If you decide you don’t need it anymore, this is how to remove it from your Windows properly:
- Locate the Settings on your Windows and go straight to the Apps folder.
- Once you spot the Spotify icon, click on it and choose the Uninstall option.
- Make sure there is no app residue by going to Programs Files in Local Disc (C).
- Delete any Spotify folders or files.
- Restart the computer.
If you have Windows 8, you can do the exact same thing, except you will find Spotify in Control Panel. Once you have found the folder Programs, go to Programs and Features to find the Spotify folder.
How to Remove Spotify From Mac?
In order to permanently uninstall Spotify on Mac, follow these basic steps:
- Go to Library.
- Type in “Spotify” and delete any files and folders related to the app.
- Go back to Application Support and erase the Spotify folder.
- Also visit these locations /Library/Preferences/, /Library/Application Support/ and /Library/Caches/ to make sure there aren’t any hidden folders or data.
- Restart your computer.
How to Delete Files From Spotify?
We have already covered how to delete downloads from Spotify, now let’s see how to delete local files from Spotify on your device. If you are interested in finding out, follow these instructions:
1. Close the app.
2. Find %appdata%\Spotify\Users\ in your file browser.
3. Look for a folder called username-user.
4. Once you enter the folder, find the file called local-files.bnk.
5. Delete it.
6. Launch the app again.
How to Delete a Spotify Account?
Before you decide to uninstall the Spotify app from your device, don’t forget to delete your account first. If you skip this step, you will just be removing the app from your phone, but your account will still exist. This could be particularly problematic if you have a Premium account that you would continue paying for.
Now, bear in mind that there is a difference between deleting a free account and a Premium account. If you’re subscribed to a Premium account, then you will have to contact customer support.
Deleting a Free Account
In order to delete your account, you will need to log in your Spotify account online. You can do that by going to their official website, from where you can enter your account. After you have found it, follow these steps:
1. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and click the About link.
2. This will lead you to the Customer Service section; to be more specific, they will ask you “How can we help you?”
3. Choose the Account option.
4. Click the “I want to close my Spotify account permanently” option.
5. This will lead you to the next page, where you should click the Close Account button.
6. Confirm Close Account.
7. Spotify will remind you what exactly you’ll be losing (your username, playlists, followers…). If you still want to delete your account, click Continue.
8. You’ll also get an email to verify that you want to close your account, so just confirm it.
Deleting a Premium Account
The main difference between deleting these two types of accounts is the subscription. What you need to do first is cancel your Spotify subscription, and then repeat the same steps for deleting a free account. Here’s what you need to do:
1. Log in to your Spotify account.
2. Go to the top of the page and click on your name.
3. Then go to Account.
4. Scroll down to the Subscription section and go there.
5. Go further to the Subscription and Payment Info page.
6. Click on the Cancel Your Subscription link below.
7. Click “Cancel my subscription” button (a few times).
8. Type in your password to confirm your cancellation.
9. Proceed with deleting your free account.
How to Manage Spotify Downloads?
With the newest updates, finding your downloaded songs can be a bit tricky. The older version of Spotify had a separate section for all songs, but now they are all categorized in playlists and albums. The albums that have been downloaded are marked with a green arrow. If you want to look for something specific, this is what you should do:
1. Launch the app.
2. Go to Your Library.
3. Find the Filters button, which is on the right side of the search bar.
4. Choose the filer Downloads.
By doing so, you will be able to see and manage all the playlists you downloaded. This process is identical on both iPhones and Androids.
How to Delete a Playlist on Spotify?
Deleting a playlist can also be done in a couple of quick moves. Follow these steps if you are interested in learning how:
1. Open Spotify.
2. Then go to Your Library.
3. Enter the album that you want to delete.
4. Tap the three dots next to the download sticker.
5. Search for the Delete Playlist option.
6. Confirm that you want to delete it.
Handle Spotify Like a Pro
Now you know how to remove downloads from Spotify on all your devices, you can delete the app, your account, your playlists, and much more. Once you have it all figured out, you’ll see that Spotify has countless interesting features and possibilities. Make sure to use them to your advantage.
Have you ever deleted downloaded playlists or albums from Spotify? Did you follow the steps outlined in this article? Tell us what you think in the comments section below.