How To Delete a TikTok Video Post
Once you figure out how to add effects, filters, and other cool features, the chances are that you will be spending a lot of time making videos on TikTok.
After a few days or weeks of making videos, you might have difficulty navigating your gallery. When that happens, it might be time to delete some videos you do not need anymore.
This article will explain everything you need to know about deleting videos and other content from TikTok.
Deleting a Video
Getting rid of videos you do not need or want in TikTok is very simple.
- All you have to do is open the app and visit your profile. Once there, you will get an entire list of all the videos you have created in the app.
- Tap the video you do not need. It will appear and play in fullscreen mode.
- While that is going on, you will see three little dots in the bottom-right corner. Tap the dots, and the app will show you the rest of the available options.
- Tap Delete. Confirm by tapping Delete again.
- When the pop-up menu appears, swipe it from left to right until you see a little trashcan icon. Tap it, and the video in question will disappear from your gallery. The app will ask you to confirm your decision, and you should tap Yes to confirm you’d like to delete the video.
If your settings allow other users to download your video, there is not much you can do. Even if you deleted the video from your gallery, someone might have downloaded a copy they can upload from their profile.
That is why you must adjust your privacy settings before creating any videos you might want to delete.
Making a Video Private
Now let’s say that you aren’t entirely ready to get rid of your videos, but you don’t want anyone else to see them either. You don’t have to delete your videos. Of course, you could save the videos to your camera roll, but you can also save them to a private folder in the TikTok app.
- To do this, open the video in question.
- Tap on the three dots, then tap on Privacy Settings.
- Tap on Who can watch this video.
- You can select the Only me option to make your video private.
The video will remain in this private folder where only you can see it until you either delete it or move it back for all of your friends to see.
When you want to make your video public again, you can go to your profile and tap on the lock icon. Then, follow the same steps above to tap on Everyone.
Deleting a TikTok Account
Until recently, contacting customer support was the only way you could delete your TikTok account. They had to approve your request before you could delete an account. That made a lot of problems for users because the process could take up to several days.
That’s why TikTok came up with the “Thinking about removing your account” feature designed to make the entire process quicker and easier. Remember that you must add a phone number to your account before you can delete it.
Adding Your Phone Number
- Open the app and tap on the Profile Information icon.
- Tap on Manage Account.
- Tap Phone Number.
- Insert your phone number.
- The app will send a verification code to your phone. Enter the code in the box, and you will now be connected to the TikTok app.
Account Deletion Process
Now that you have connected your phone to your TikTok account, you are ready to delete it.
Here is how you do it:
- Tap the Profile Information icon. Then tap the three dots in the upper right-hand corner.
- Tap the Manage My Account option.
- Select Delete Account at the bottom.
- The app will send you a unique OTP message with a verification code. Enter the code in the box and tap Continue.
Your TikTok account is now deleted.
Important Things to Know
Deleting your account will delete all of your videos, favorite music, and everything else tied to your profile. However, chat messages sent to other TikTok users will remain visible to them.
Apart from that, all your videos, features, and profile settings will be gone for good. There is no way of reactivating your account once you delete it. You will have to create another profile if you ever want to use TikTok again.
Are You Sure That You Want to Delete Your Account?
If you have some favorite videos that you want to keep, make sure to download them before deleting your TikTok account. If you have made any in-app purchases, you can forget about a refund. All of the TikTok coins you had on your profile will also be deleted without a refund.
You can always lock your profile so other users can’t see you. Just set the privacy and safety options so that you become completely invisible. That way, you can effectively “pause” your account and continue where you left off at any time in the future without losing any of your videos or tokens. You should always think twice before deciding to delete your TikTok account.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to more of your questions about deleting videos on TikTok.
Can you recover a deleted video on TikTok?
Not unless you have saved the video to your device. When you post a video, you can select the option to save a copy to your phone. Assuming you have done this, there should now be a TikTok album in your phone’s camera roll.
If I delete my account, will it delete my videos?
Yes. If you choose to delete your TikTok account, all of your videos will also be deleted. Be sure to save any important videos to your device before deleting your account.
Any videos saved or downloaded by another user will still be available to that user and others who have access to them. If you have an issue with a video, you can report the content to TikTok support.
Can I report a video?
Yes, if you see a video that you think violates TikTok’s community guidelines, you can click on the Share icon. From there, tap Report. Follow the prompts to report the video.
Can I delete someone else’s post?
It may seem like a strange question, but let’s say one of your friends posts a video of you, and you aren’t happy with it. Of course, you may ask your friend to take the video down, but if they refuse, what can you do?
While you can’t personally delete a video on someone else’s account, you can report it. This would likely only be used in a situation where the video is highly offensive and violates the app’s terms and conditions.
But if that’s the route you’d like to take, all you need to do is locate the video, tap the Share icon on the right-hand side, and tap on ‘Report.’ Fill out the form and submit it. If TikTok decides the video goes against the community guidelines, the video will be removed. Just remember, you may lose a friend by doing so.
Have Your Say
Are you a TikTok user? What do you think about the app? Have you ever tried deleting your account? Share your TikTok-related experiences in the comments section below.