How to Install Mods on Fabric for Minecraft
If you’ve been playing Minecraft for some time and you’re looking to change it up a little, chances are you have considered using a mod loader like Fabric. While this modding toolchain is growing in popularity, the instructions on installing these mods are still relatively challenging to find.
If you find yourself in this situation, you’re in the right place. In this article, we look at how to install fabric mods with TLauncher and Forge on your Mac or Windows PC.
How to Install Fabric Mods With Forge
If you’re looking to install Fabric mods with Forge, we have some bad news for you. Unfortunately, Fabric and Forge are two different and incompatible APIs. In addition, the two platforms’ mods are also conflicting, making it impossible to install Fabric mods with Forge.
It is also essential to remember that you can’t install both mod loaders at the same time. If you’re using Forge and attempt to load mods for Fabric, they won’t work.
If you’re having difficulty deciding which to install, it helps to consider which best suits your needs. Forge is designed specifically for use with Minecraft and is not compatible with other Java-based games. If you want to play other java games, perhaps Fabric is a better option as it loads mods for Minecraft and other games. And while you can only use Fabric for mods purposes, it is compatible with all versions of Minecraft.
How to Install Fabric Mods in TLauncher
If you have the latest version of TLauncher and want to incorporate Fabric mods to change up your game, this is how you do it:
- Choose the version of Fabric installer you want from https://fabricmc.net/use/.
- Download the JAR/Universal installer.
- Once downloaded, run the installer.
- In the installer window that opens, make sure you have the “Client” tab selected.
- Choose the version of the game you want from the dropdown “Minecraft Version” menu. And the loader version from the applicable menu.
- In the “Install Location” bar enter the following: ‘
Where it says “yourusername,” type in your device username instead.
- Check the “Create Profile” box.
- Click “Install.”
- When the installation is complete, open TLauncher.
- Navigate to the bottom of the screen. Click the dropdown menu and select “Fabric-Loader” from the options.
The installation of Fabric is complete, and you can get to playing your game.
It is important to note that most mods will also require the Fabric API to run, so you will need to download that and add the file to the “Mods” folder in your Minecraft directory
Next, you will need to download the mods you want to use. There are various places you can find mods, one of the most reputable sources being CurseForge. This is how to install the mods on TLauncher:
- Navigate to your Minecraft directory
(C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft)and open the “Mods” folder. If you don’t have one, create one now.
- Download the JAR file of the mods you want and save it to the “Mods” folder.
- Open TLauncher and start the game using your Fabric profile.
How to Install Fabric Mods on Mac
If you want to load Fabric mods onto your Mac, you will first need to install Fabric. These are the steps to follow:
- Download the installer for Fabric from https://fabricmc.net/use/.
- Once downloaded, open the Fabric installer and ensure you have the “Client” tab selected at the top.
- Select the Minecraft version and Loader version you want to install from the relevant dropdown menus. (We suggest sticking with the latest loader version.)
- Make sure your install location is set correctly. It should look similar to this:
- Make sure the “Create Profile” box is selected.
- Click the “Install” button, and once the installation is complete, click “OK.”
- Open your Minecraft Launcher. Your new Fabric profile should automatically be selected. You can now click “Play.”
Now that Fabric is installed, you can set about installing the different mods you want to use. Here is how to go about it:
- Download the mods you want to use from a platform like CurseForge.
- When the mods have downloaded, navigate to your Minecraft install folder (it should look like this:
~/Library/Application Support/Minecraft)and locate the “Mods” folder.
- If you do not have a “Mods” folder, create one by clicking “New Folder” at the top of the window and then naming it “Mods.”
- Open this “Mods” folder. Save the downloaded JAR files for your mods into this folder.
- You can now open your Minecraft launcher and begin playing using your Fabric profile.
How to Install Fabric Mods on Windows
Installing Fabric mods on your Windows PC is relatively straightforward, although you will need to install Fabric before you can utilize the mods:
- Download the Fabric mod loader installer from https://fabricmc.net/use/.
- Run the installer file on your computer. When the installer window opens, make sure you have the “Client” tab selected.
- Choose the Minecraft version you want to use and then pick the Loader version from the applicable menu.
- Check that the “Install Location” is set correctly. It should look something like this on a Windows PC:
- Ensure that you have checked the “Create Profile” box.
- Click “Install” and then “OK.”
- Open your Minecraft launcher, and your Fabric profile should already be selected. Click “Play” to begin your game.
Now that Fabric is installed, it is time to install the Fabric mods:
- Browse the web (we suggest sites like CurseForge) and find the mods you want and download them.
- Locate your Minecraft install folder on your PC. It should look something like this:
C:/Users/(username)/AppData/Roaming/.minecraft. From here, open the “Mods” folder.
- If you don’t have a “Mods” folder, create one now.
- Copy the JAR files of your downloaded mods into this folder.
- Once complete, open your Minecraft launcher. Begin the game in your Fabric profile.|
Fabric Mods Installed!
Installing Fabric mods on different platforms and clients may seem a little challenging at first, especially if installing mods isn’t something you have done before. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you should find the task a little more straightforward. Soon, you will be installing mods like a pro.
All you need to do now is figure out which mods you want to add for an exciting new gaming experience.
Have you installed Fabric mods on TLauncher or Forge on a Mac or Windows PC? Did you use a set of instructions similar to those provided in this guide? Let us know by leaving us a note in the comments section below.