How to Find a Chat ID in Telegram
Telegram is a wildly popular messaging app with a Bot API interface. That means most, if not all tasks are performed by third-party software. It can pretty much do whatever you can think of – from customizing notifications to making multiplayer games.
Every chat room has an ID number attached to it. It doesn’t matter if it’s private or public nor how many people are involved.
How to Find a Telegram Chat ID On a Mac
You can access Telegram by using the built-in browser for Mac. From there on, you can contact a bot via the web app to find out what your personal chat ID is. Here’s how to do it:
- Open your Safari browser and go to https://web.telegram.org.
- Type your phone number in the corresponding field.
- Telegram will then send you a six-digit log-in code to your mobile app. Use the number to log in.
- Move your cursor to the search box in the top-left corner of the screen. Type “
@RawDataBot” and hit “Enter.”
- Click on “Telegram Bot Raw” to get a message containing your chat info.
We mentioned there’s a hack for checking the chat ID for your group. This only works for the web app, but it’s still pretty nifty:
- Go to https://web.telegram.org.
- Open a group chat.
- Look at the URL at the top of the screen. The digits behind the letter “g” are actually your chat ID. Just add “
-“in front of the numbers.
If you’re not cut out for online use, you might want to download the desktop version. Telegram is available for free on the Mac App Store. Here’s how you can get it:
- Launch the App Store app through the LaunchPad or the Dock. You can also use Spotlight Search to find it.
- Select “Categories” from the panel on the left-hand side. Browse for the Telegram app. There’s also a search function you can use to find it.
- Click on the Telegram thumbnail to open it. Under the app info, click on the “Get” button.
- To complete the download, type in your Apple ID and password.
How to Find a Telegram Chat ID On a Windows PC
Of course, there’s a desktop version for both Windows and Linux PCs. You can get it from the official Telegram website. Here’s how:
- Using your preferred browser, go to the official Telegram website.
- Navigate to the top of the screen. Click on the “Apps” tab.
- Choose “Telegram for Windows/Linux” in the section for desktop apps.
The desktop app uses the same interface as the online or mobile version. It has all the same features as well, meaning you can use Telegram Bot Raw to find out your chat ID. Here’s how:
- Click on the app icon to launch it.
- Navigate to the search box in the top-left corner.
- Type “
@RawDataBot” and select “Telegram Bot Raw” from the drop-down list.
- Click on the “Start” button in the auto-reply message.
- The Telegram bot will send a message with your account info. Scroll down and find “Chat.” Your chat ID number is listed below, next to “id.’
You can find the official Android app on Google Play. Once you install it on your phone, you gain access to all Bot API services. That includes Telegram Bot Raw. Here’s how to find your chat ID on the Android app:
- Tap to open the Telegram app.
- In the top-right corner, tap on the small magnifying glass icon.
- Type “
@RawDataBot” in the search dialog box and then tap the search icon.
- Select “Telegram Bot Raw” from the search results.
- You’ll get an auto-reply message. Tap the “Start” button.
- You’ll get another message containing your First Name, Last Name, and Chat ID. Find “Chat” from the list of information.
- Under “Chat,” you’ll see a number. It’s marked with the word “id” on the right-hand side. That’s your Chat ID number.
Like we said, group chats also have an identification number. However, you can only look it up if you’re the admin. Here’s what you need to do:
How to Find a Telegram Chat ID On an Android
- Go to your home screen or Apps menu and open Telegram.
- Find a group chat where you’re the admin. Tap to open it.
- At the top of the screen, tap on the group name.
- Tap the “+Add Member” tab.
- At the top of the screen, tap on the search bar. Type “
@RawDataBot” in the dialog box.
- From the two search results, select “Telegram Bot Raw.”
- In the bottom-left corner of the screen, tap the blue checkmark button. A pop-up box will appear asking you if you want to add the bot to your chat. Tap “Add” to confirm or “Cancel” to stop the process.
- Tap the left-pointing arrow at the top of the screen to go back to the chat. You’ll see a message from the Telegram Raw Bot with information about the group.
- Find “Chat” in the auto-reply message. Below you’ll see the ID number for the group.
How to Find a Telegram Chat ID On an iPhone
The App Store also has a free mobile version available for iPhone. It looks and performs the same as the Android app, down to the process of getting your chat ID. Just in case, let’s go through it again:
- Go to your home screen and swipe up to open apps. You can also use your Face ID or just press the “Home” button.
- Find the Telegram icon and tap to launch the app.
- Use the search function to access the “Telegram Bot Raw.”
- Find your chat ID in the auto-reply message.
You can also use a chat command to ask the Telegram bot for your account information. All it takes is sending a private message:
- Open the Telegram app.
- Select the chat with Telegram Bot Raw to form the list.
- Type “
/start” and tap the arrow icon on the right-hand side to send.
Protip: don’t delete the chat with Telegram Bot Raw. That way, you can always find your chat ID.
How to Create a New Telegram Chat ID
Unsurprisingly, the answer is by using bots. Telegram allows you to update your chat ID through a series of HTTPS requests. You first have to create a bot and then add it to your group as an admin. From there on, it’s pretty straightforward. Also, the process is identical for private and public chats alike.
The most convenient way to do it is by using your browser. Telegram is compatible with virtually any search engine currently in use. Technically, you can do it with your Android or iOS device, but it’s somewhat awkward. Getting a chat ID update requires you to copy and paste your bot token in a website URL, so it’s much easier to use your computer instead.
Keep reading for step-by-step instructions for each device.
The first part of the process is creating your own bot by using (surprise) a different bot. It sounds far more complicated than it actually is. Here’s how to do it:
- Launch the Telegram desktop app.
- Move your cursor to the search bar in the upper-left corner.
- Type “
@Botfather” in the dialog box. Make sure to choose the official version from the search results. It has a blue checkmark next to the bot name.
- A new chat will open. Click “Start.”
- You’ll get a message containing a list of commands. Choose “/newbot” to create your bot.
- Botfather will ask you to choose a username for your bot. Type the name and add “
_bot” at the end.
After that, you can update to a different chat ID through an HTTPS request. Here’s what you should do:
- Launch your browser and go to api.telegram.org/bot<BOT_ID>.
- Navigate to the URL at the top of the screen. Select “BOT ID” by dragging your cursor.
- Paste your Botfather bot token in the highlighted part. Make sure not to erase the “/getUpdates.”
- Find your updated chat id in the json string below.
As we’ve mentioned, you can’t change your chat ID on the desktop app. It has to be done online. However, you can use it to make some necessary preparations instead. For example, adding the bot as an admin. Here’s how:
- Open the Telegram app on your desktop.
- Choose a group chat from the panel on the left-hand side.
- Move your cursor to the upper-right corner and click on the three vertical dots.
- Choose “Manage Group” from the drop-down list.
- A pop-up window will appear. Scroll down and click on the “Administrators” tab.
- Click on the “Add Administrator” button in the bottom-left corner. Select your bot from the list of members.
- A pop-up window will appear. Navigate to the bottom-right corner and click “Save.”
On Android (and iPhone)
It’s really not advisable to do this with your phone. It’s not that you can’t do it with your chosen browser app; it’s just so awkward. Since smartphones have a touch screen, copying your bot token into the URL is quite a hassle. The more sensible solution is to use your computer to access the API web page.
Why can’t I access the chat ID?
You have to have a username to be able to access chat IDs. Telegram doesn’t automatically generate one, so you have to set it yourself. Here’s how:
1. Tap on the Telegram icon on your home screen.
2. In the top-left corner, tap on the three horizontal lines. If the app launched a private conversation when opened, go back to the chat list.
3. Choose “Settings” from the drop-down panel on the left-hand side.
4. Tap on the “Username” section under your phone number. Type at least five characters to create a valid username. If it’s available, a notification will appear below. If not, the text will turn red. Telegram will ask you to come up with a different name.
5. Tap on the check-mark in the top-left corner to finish.
A Bot for Every Occasion
Once you get used to the particular interface, it’s actually quite handy. Telegram made sure there’s a bot for every occasion, and that includes managing chat IDs.
You can easily find out what your personal chat ID is after creating a username. When it comes to group chats, you have to be the admin to access that information. The same goes for creating or updating an ID number. And remember – in case of any bugs or glitches, you can always rely on Telegram’s excellent troubleshooting.
Do you like Telegram? What are your thoughts on apps that have Bot API? Comment below and tell us if there’s another way to change your chat ID.