Google Home: How to Change Spotify Account
When you set up a Google Home account, you can play music from a wide range of streaming services with a simple voice command. Since it’s one of the most popular streaming services on the planet, Spotify also allows its users to stream music via Google Home.
Sometimes you may experience problems if you want to listen to Spotify, but a household member has switched the account. Personalized playlists may disappear, and the ‘Discover’ radio plays songs aren’t compatible to your taste.
The only remaining thing is to switch back to your account. This article will explain how to do so.
First: Unlink Your Current Spotify Account
If you want to permanently change your current Spotify account, you need to remove the current one first. You can do this easily via your Google Home app. Follow these steps:
- Make sure that your smart device is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Google Home.
- Launch the Google Home app.
- Select the ‘Account’ menu at the bottom-right of the screen.
- Choose ‘Settings’ on the following screen.
- Select the ‘Music’ menu under the ‘Services’ section.
- Tap ‘Unlink’ to unlink the account from the device.
When you disconnect your Spotify account, you won’t be able to use the service until you link a new account again. The following section will explain how to do this.
Second: Link a New Account to Home Hub
Linking your Spotify to Google Home should be an effortless task. Do the following:
- Open the Google Home app on your smart device.
- Tap ‘Account’ at the bottom-right of the screen.
- Select the ‘Settings’ menu.
- Choose ‘Music’ under the ‘Services’ section.
- Tap ‘Spotify’.
- Select ‘Link account’.
- Tap ‘Log in to Spotify’ on the following screen.
- Type in the credentials of the new account and wait for the service to set up.
When you sign in with a new account it will become the default user account of your Google Home device. All the playlists, libraries, and listening history will be imported to the app. This means that the followers of that account will be able to see your recently listened to tracks (if you allowed it in the Settings menu), and you can access your personalized radios and playlists.
Also, if you want to set up a new Spotify account, you can do it by following steps 1-7 from above and tapping ‘create a new account’. When you do, you’ll need to follow all the steps from above once again.
Make Spotify Your Default Player on Google Home
Usually, if you want to play a song on Spotify via Google Home, you’ll need to say a voice command ending with “…on Spotify”. For example, you can say: “Ok, Google. Play indie rock on Spotify”. However, this can become a bit annoying after some time, especially if Spotify is your only music service.
Fortunately, you can make Spotify your default music service. This means you don’t need to finish the command with “…on Spotify” to play music from this service. Do the following:
- Tap the ‘Account’ icon at the bottom right of the screen.
- Select the ‘Settings’ menu.
- Select the ‘Music’ menu below the ‘Services’ section.
- Tap ‘Spotify’ to make it your default music player.
Listen to Music on Your Account (or Someone Else’s)
If you don’t have an account (and you don’t want to change it or set it up) you can still listen to music on Spotify via the Voice Command. When you use the “Play [music] on Spotify” command, Google Assistant will play music from the Spotify account of the person who set up the voice match.
This means that the entire household can use the same simple commands to listen to Spotify account without the need to switch the accounts ever so often. On the other hand, if certain users are sensitive to certain music appearing on their listening history, you may want to change the account anyway.
What are your opinions on sharing the same Spotify account? Do you prefer to change it? Share your opinions in the comments box to let us know.