How to Change Names in Runescape
Jagex’s RuneScape wrote the book on free online multi-player games. Released back in 2001, it was the thing to play on PC. Nowadays, players are still enjoying RuneScape’s refreshed graphics and interface in the revamped 2013 version called RuneScape 3.
Read on for more information about changing your display name in the game, name change limitations, and whether it’s possible to change usernames.
Changing a Character Name
RuneScape offers a variety of perks to its free members, from quests to character customizations. Changing character or display names, however, is not one of those perks given for free.
If you have your heart set on changing your display name, you’ll have to pay for a RuneScape membership first. RuneScape currently has three pricing models to choose from:
- $10.99 for one month
- $29.99 for three months
- $99.99 for a year
Once you have an official membership, you have a couple of options to change your name in the game, depending on which version you’re using.
Method 1 – Via Website
- Access the RuneScape website from your favorite browser or click here.
- Log into your account.
- Select “My Account,” located in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- (optional) You may be prompted to sign in to your account again.
- In the new “Account Settings” window, you’ll see your display name near the top if you set one. Scroll down and select “Change Character Name.”
- Enter your new display name.
- Press the “Set Name” button to confirm the change.
It’s a good idea to have a couple of name choices ready just in case you get a message telling you to choose another one. After pressing the “Set Name” button, you may see this message if another player has already reserved the name or if the name is blocked for being inappropriate.
Method 2 – Via In-Game Menu
If you can’t give up the nostalgia that comes with playing the original version of RuneScape, there’s a name change solution for you, too. Follow the steps below to get started:
- Launch the game.
- Go to the “Options Menu.”
- Select “Settings” and then the helmet icon.
- Your new window should show the “hero interface.” Select “Change Name” and enter your new name into the text box.
- Press the button that says, “Check Availability.” If the name is available, the game changes it automatically. However, if the name is already reserved by another player, you can select from a list of name variations and try again or try a different name in the text box.
- Repeat the process until there is a name upon which you (and the game) can agree.
Old School RuneScape Version
Changing your name is a simple process, even if you’re using Old School RuneScape. Check out the steps below to get started:
- Launch the game.
- Select the “Settings” icon, pictured as a wrench in-game.
- Press the “Chat & Notifications” icon.
- Select the “Display name” button. If you qualify for a free name change, you’ll see it displayed in this window. You’ll also see how many extra changes you qualify for if you redeem bonds.
- To proceed with the name change, press the “Look up name” button located near the bottom of the window.
- Enter your new name choice and press “Enter.”
- If the name is available, you’ll see a button near the bottom of the window with the new name choice. You’ll also see a message that says “Not taken” in the status box located in the center of the window.
- If you want to keep the new name, press the button with the new name choice at the bottom of the window. You can also try out another name by pressing the “Another name” button directly above it.
- Once you decide on a new name and finalize it, log out of the game and log back in for the change to take effect.
You figured out the perfect name and are set to make the change. Before you do, though, make sure that it complies with the restrictions listed below:
- No deceptive or offensive names.
- No duplicate names or display names that are used for other accounts.
- No names that exceed 12 characters in length.
- No names that fall under the 35-day cool-down period for name abandonment.
- No punctuation characters in a display name. They’re omitted when the name is set.
- No name changes within 24 days of the last name change (except when redeeming a bond).
- No using the word “mod” in the display name.
If the developers of the game believe that a display name is offensive, they’ll replace it with a temporary one until you choose a new one. For repeat offenders, the folks at Jagex take away the privilege of selecting a display name for a year and the player gets one assigned to them by a moderator.
When you chose a new display name, your old one doesn’t disappear into the name void or immediately re-enter the name database for new players. It holds out for a while, 35 days to be exact, just in case you want to change it back again.
Ironically enough, if you do choose to change your name back to the previous one, you need to wait 28 days to do it. There is a 28-day waiting period in between name changes, even if you choose to revert your name to the old one.
If you let the 35-day holding period pass, the name goes back into rotation and may be taken by another player.
Bonds are an in-game currency redeemable for RuneCoins, Keys, or membership benefits. You can also trade them with other players directly or gift them. Players usually obtain this currency through in-game purchases or via the official RuneScape website.
However, Bonds may also be used to bypass that pesky 28-day waiting period in between changing your display name. If you want to spend your hard-earned Bonds on a new name, check out how to redeem them below:
- Go into your backpack or press the backpack icon located in your toolbar.
- Open the currency pouch.
- Go to the Bond icon and right-click on it (PC) or long-press the icon (mobile) to open the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down and select “Redeem Bond.”
- The next window you’ll see is for the Marketplace. Scroll through the options and press the image for “Display name change.”
- Choose “Redeem Bond” and “Continue” to confirm the redemption.
- Press the yellow “Change Name” button in the right corner of the window.
- Follow the prompts to complete the name change.
Old School RuneScape
Old School RuneScape’s interface is relatively simplified in comparison to the newer version, but the steps are similar to the process to redeem Bonds for name changes.
- Launch the game and press the wrench icon to open “Settings.”
- Go to your Bond pouch.
- Press the “Redeem name change” button near the bottom right corner of the window.
- Select the “Confirm” button to spend the Bond.
- Follow the prompts to change your name.
You still need to be an active member to redeem Bonds for name changes in both RuneScape and Old School Runescape.
What Happens to Inactive User Display Names?
Display names for inactive users are eventually released for other players if these conditions are met:
- It’s been a year since the last login.
- RuneScape skills are under level 30.
- There were no membership purchases for the display name.
Even if you’re a free player, you’ll be able to keep your name if you’ve logged into your account in the past 12 months or you have a skill level of 30 or more.
What’s in a Name?
Display names are used as more than unique identifiers in a multi-player game. They’re the first and sometimes last impression that other players have of you, so pick wisely. A witty or unique name may garner positive attention, whereas a string of numbers or lackluster name may go ignored.
In a world where who you team up with can mean survival, going with the best name possible may be the difference between victory and defeat.
How do you choose your display name in RuneScape? How often do you change it? Let us know in the comments section below.