How To Set Up A VPN On iPhone 6s And iPhone 6s Plus
If you want to know how to set up a VPN for your iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus, we’ll explain how you can do this very easily. The main reason you would want to set up a VPN or Virtual Private Network on your iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus is to allow for a secure and private connection when you communicate instead of using a public network that puts data and information at risk when using the public network.
Another reason you may want to set up a VPN on the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus is that you might need to configure VPN to access or send out work emails on your iPhone for security reasons. You would need to set up a Virtual Private Network on iOS 9 so you can ensure all content and data going in and out of your iOS device is secure. VPN works over Wi-Fi and cellular data network connections.
If you’re using an iPhone 6s or 6s Plus, it’s important to note that the latest software supported is iOS 13. Depending on the version of software you’re running, our instructions may vary slightly. Also, we’ll use ExpressVPN in our examples due to its versatility and reliability. Let’s learn how to set up a VPN on your iPhone 6s or 6s Plus without further ado.
How to Set Up a VPN on your iPhone 6s or 6 on iOS 12 or Later
In this first section, we’ll cover the instructions to install a VPN on iOS 12 or later. Fortunately, the steps are fairly simple.
- To begin, you will need to download the dedicated application for your VPN from the App Store.
- Sign into the application and follow any verification steps.
- Next, you’ll see a window advising you that your device will ask for permission to set up your VPN. Tap Continue.
- Tap Allow to set up your VPN on your iPhone.
- Follow the remaining prompts to allow notifications. Then, you can tap the power icon within the app to turn on your VPN.
Now, your iPhone and internet activity are masked by your VPN service.
Set Up a VPN on an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 11 or Earlier
If you’re still running an older version of iOS the process is slightly different. First, we’ll use Safari to log into our VPN service, then we’ll finish configuring the service in the iPhone’s Settings. Here’s how:
- Open Safari and visit your VPNs’ website. In this example, we’ll go use ExpressVPN.
- Sign in using your account credentials and complete any verification requirements.
- Go to your account page.
- Scroll down to iPhone & iPad. Then, tap on the option to complete the ExpressVPN manual setup for iOS.
- Tap Allow when prompted.
- After you accept all notifications, the VPN’s profile will be ready to install on your iPhone.
Now, we’ll head over to your iPhone’s Settings to finish the set up. Follow these steps:
- Open Settings on your iPhone and tap General.
- Tap on Profile. Then, tap on your VPN.
- Tap Install in the upper right-hand corner.
- Your VPN will appear under Settings>General>VPN.
- From here you can manage your connection and your location.
Turn VPN “On” or “Off”
After you have set up a Virtual Private Network on iOS 9, you have the option of turning VPN on or off from the settings page on your Apple device. When you connect using VPN, the VPN icon appears in the status bar.
If you have set up VPN on iOS 9 with multiple configurations, you can easily switch configurations on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch by going to Settings > General > VPN and change between VPN configurations.
Get help on how to set up a VPN on iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus:
If you have issues setting up a Virtual Private Network on your iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus or can’t connect to your VPN, or if you see an alert that says “Shared Secret is missing,” your VPN settings might be incorrect or incomplete. If you have questions about your VPN settings or your Shared Secret key, you should contact your network administrator or IT Department.