How to Uninstall Zoom from a PC or Mobile Device
Although Zoom is a very popular conferencing tool that helps its users communicate easily whenever physical meetings are inconvenient, it’s not for everyone. Whether it’s because you find the application unwieldy, or are concerned about personal data, there are plenty of reasons why you may want to remove Zoom.
If you’ve ever wondered how to uninstall Zoom for any of the platforms that it’s available in, read on. We’ll provide step by step instructions on how to do so.
How to Uninstall Zoom on Windows
Zoom for the Windows platform can be uninstalled from the System Settings menus, from the Control Panel or directly from the Zoom folder itself. Theinstructions to do so are as follows:
From the Zoom Installation Folder
- The default installation location for Zoom on Windows is under the Start Menu directory. This is normally located under
C:/Users/username/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs/Zoom. If you can’t find your Zoom folder, type in “Zoom” on your search bar.
- In the Zoom folder, click on Uninstall Zoom.
- Once the uninstall process is completed, open the following directory C:/Users/username/App Data/Roaming.
- Look for the Zoom Folder and delete it.
- This should completely uninstall the app on your PC.
Using the System Settings Menu
- Click on Start on the lower left corner of the screen.
- Click on Settings. This should be the gear icon.
- From the Windows Settings screen, click on the Apps icon.
- Scroll down on the list of installed programs, or type Zoom in the search bar.
- Click on Zoom, then click on Uninstall.
- Open C:/Users/username/App Data/Roaming.
- Find the Zoom folder then delete it. Zoom should now be completely removed from your computer.
Using the Control Panel
- In your Search Bar, type in “Control Panel“. If you do not have Search visible, right click on any free portion of the Taskbar, hover over Search on the menu and choose either Show search Icon or Show search box.
- Now, click on Control Panel to open the Control Panel App.
- Next, click on the Programs icon.
- From the list of installed programs, scroll down until you find Zoom.
- Right click on Zoom and then click on Uninstall.
- Open the following directory C:/Users/username/App Data/Roaming.
- Find and delete the Zoom folder. This should completely remove it from your system.
How to Uninstall Zoom on Mac
There are also several ways to uninstall the Zoom application when you’re using the Mac platform. Below are the different ways on how to accomplish this:
For macOS versions 4.4.53932.0709 and later, you can delete Zoom through the application itself by doing the following:
- Open your Zoom App.
- On the upper menu, click on zoom.us. This should be right beside the Apple icon.
- In the dropdown menu, click on Uninstall Zoom.
- A window will appear asking for confirmation, click on OK.
- Once the process is done, type in “Zoom” on Finder.
- Delete any remaining Zoom folders or files.
- The Zoom app should now have been removed from your system.
For Macs that have the macOS 4.4.53909.0617 and earlier, you will need to use the Finder function to delete the application. This is done by followingthese steps:
- Open your Finder application.
- On the upper menu, click on Go.
- Scroll down the dropdown menu and click on Go to Folder.
- On the text box that appears, type in ~/.zoomus/ then click on Go.
- From the window, drag and drop ZoomOpener to the trash.
- Return to the Go menu and repeat steps four and five for the following folders and files:
a. Open the folder /Applications/ and move the file zoom.us.app to the Trash.
b. Open the folder ~/Applications/ and delete zoom.us.app.
c. Open the folder /System/Library/Extensions/ and drag ZoomAudioDevice.kext to the Trash.
d. Open the folder ~/Library/Applications/Support/ and delete zoom.us.
- Once deleted, Zoom should now be removed from your computer.
Note that if you installed Zoom on another directory, you will have to find all the indicated files on those directories instead. You canuse the Finder to search for the individual files rather than opening specific folders.
How to Uninstall Zoom on Chromebook
If you installed Zoom on your Chromebook, then you can uninstall the program by using the native uninstaller. To do this, follow these instructions:
- Click on the Launcher Icon on your Chromebook, or click on the Search Key on the keyboard. The Launcher icon is the circle located on the lower-left corner of your Home screen.
- In the list of applications that appears, scroll down until you find Zoom.
- Right-click on the Zoom icon.
- In the popup menu, select either Uninstall or Remove from Chrome.
- In the popup window, select Remove.
The application should now be deleted from your system.
How to Uninstall Zoom Outlook Plugin
If you’re using the plugin version of Zoom for your Microsoft Outlook, then you may be confused, as you won’t find Zoom on the list of applications touninstall. Outlook plugins have separate folders and file types, and they can be deleted by doing the following:
- Open Outlook on your PC.
- On the upper menu, click on File.
- Find Add-ins on the menu, then click on it.
- On the bottom of the window that appears, click on Manage.
- In the dropdown menu, click on COM Add-ins and then click on Go.
- Within the COM Add-ins window, untick all checkboxes except Zoom Outlook Plugin. Make sure that no other plug-in has a checkmark before you proceed.
- Then, click on the Remove button.
- In the confirmation window, click on OK.
- The plug-in should now be removed from Microsoft Outlook.
Note that if you’re using Outlook on a Mac, there may be a bug that causes the Zoom plugin to not appear on the available plugins for deletion. To workaround this, do the following:
- Open Finder.
- Find the Applications folder and open it.
- Look for a folder named Zoom plugin for Outlook and open it.
- Click on the uninstall icon inside the folder or right-click and move to trash.
- Open Outlook to check if the plugin has been removed.
How to Uninstall Zoom on Linux
If you’re using Zoom on a Linux machine, then there are several ways to uninstall the app depending on the Linux version you’re running. These are:
For those using Devian, Linux Mint, or Ubuntu
- Open the Terminal window.
- Type in the command: sudo apt remove zoom then press Enter.
- Close the Terminal window.
- The application should now be removed from your computer.
For those using openSUSE
- Open your Terminal window.
- Type in: sudo zypper remove zoom then press Enter.
- Close your Terminal screen.
- The Zoom app should have now been uninstalled.
For those using CentOS, Fedora, Oracle Linux, or Red Hat
- Open the Terminal window.
- Type in the command: sudo yum remove zoom then hit Enter.
- Close the Terminal window.
- Zoom should now be uninstalled from your device.
How to Uninstall Zoom for Android
If you’re using Zoom on an Android device, then you can uninstall the program by doing the following:
Uninstallation from the Play Store
- Open the Google Play Store app.
- In the search bar, type in “Zoom Cloud Meetings“.
- Tap on the result.
- In the Zoom Cloud Meetings window, tap on Uninstall.
- In the confirmation window that pops up, tap on Uninstall again to confirm.
- Zoom should now be uninstalled.
From Device Settings
- Open your device’s Settings menu form the main directory.
- Choose Apps.
- Find the Zoom app from the list of applications.
- Tap on Uninstall.
- When asked for confirmation, tap on OK.
Note that the applications and Settings menu may change depending on the manufacturer of yourAndroid device.
How to Uninstall Zoom from an iPhone or iPad
If your using the iOS version of the Zoom app, then you can uninstall it by following these steps:
- Tap on the Settings App from the Home screen.
- Then, tap on General.
- From the menu to the right, tap on either iPad Storage or iPhone Storage.
- In the list of available applications, tap on Zoom.
- Then, tap on Delete App.
- A window will pop up asking you to confirm your choice. Tap on Delete App.
- You can now navigate away from this window. Zoom should now be uninstalled from your iOS device.
Below is a common question that comes up in discussions about deleting the Zoom app.
Will uninstalling stop it from opening up on startup?
As uninstalling the application completely removes the program, then this should also stop it from opening whenever you start your device. Even if instructions for opening Zoom were left in the registry or start up menu, there would be no program for it to execute. So yes, uninstalling Zoom will prevent it from opening during startup.
A Simple Process
Uninstalling Zoom is a rather simple process if you actually know how to do it. Although Zoom can be a handy tool for those who wish to avoid theinconvenience of face to face meetings, it isn’t perfect. Knowing the steps necessary to delete it for each platform is a rather handy piece of info tohave.
Do you know of other ways to uninstall zoom on a particular device? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.