How to Change your Profile Picture in Facebook Messenger
One of the most important parts of your Messenger account is the profile picture. It represents your first chance to make an impression with other users who may not have visited your Facebook page. Which is why it’s important to have a quality of the image. Subpar and outdated pictures should be changed since they don’t do you justice, but how can you do this?
In this entry, we’ll give you a step-by-step guide on changing your Messenger profile picture. With this knowledge, you’ll be able to keep your profile fresh and prevent low-quality images from ruining your chances of interacting through the app.
Can you Change your Messenger Profile Picture Without Facebook?
Unfortunately, changing your profile picture without a Facebook account is impossible if you’re using Messenger’s latest version. Prior to 2020, this feature was accessible, but developers have removed it.
Even though this angered a huge number of Messenger users, there’s still a way to update your profile picture. You’ll need to make the adjustment from your Facebook account.
Consequently, people who haven’t set up a Facebook account will need to create one. Likewise, users who have disabled their accounts will need to reactivate them for the time being. Once they’ve updated their profile picture on Facebook, it will be automatically changed on Messenger.
That said, you might be able to upload a new profile picture on your Messenger account even if you don’t have Facebook. This feature is only accessible if you’re using an older version of the app. Here’s how the process works:
- Launch Messenger.
- If you’re not logged in, enter your account credentials.
- Tap your profile picture in the upper-left section of the display.
- Hit “Edit” under the image. You should now see several options, including “Edit Profile Photo” and “Edit Name.”
- Choose “Edit Profile Photo.”
- Select a new image from the gallery or capture a new one.
- After choosing a profile pic and customizing it, tap “Use Photo” to save your changes.
Your Messenger profile picture should now be updated. However, doing this on an older version is ill-advised. Such apps don’t have access to all the necessary features and may even compromise your account’s stability. Therefore, update your Messenger, and the following sections will tell you how to change your profile picture conventionally.
How to Change your Messenger Profile Picture on an iPhone
As previously discussed, changing a Messenger profile picture requires access to your Facebook account. If you don’t have one or deleted your account, install the app and/or activate or reactivate your account and take the following steps to update the image:
- Hit the menu button represented by three horizontal lines in the lower section of your screen.
- Tap your name and the profile picture.
- Choose the “Select Profile Picture or Video” option.
- Select your image or add a new frame.
- Press the “Save” button once you’re happy with the changes. For the highest quality, the picture should be at least 320 pixels tall and 320 pixels wide.
- Open your Messenger to see your new profile picture.
- If the image doesn’t appear, restarting the app should fix the issue. To do this, navigate to your phone’s “Settings,” followed by “Apps,” and “Messenger.” Tap “Storage” and the “Clear Storage” option.
- Open Messenger, and you should see your new image.
You may also want to consider editing the photo before sharing it to Facebook and Messenger. This option lets you showcase your images in the best light, increasing the chances of more social interactions.
Here’s how to edit your profile picture before uploading it to Facebook and Messenger:
- Navigate to the upper part of the News Feed and click the Photo/Video symbol. It should be below the “What’s on Your Mind, (Name)” question.
- Choose the image you wish to share.
- Hover over the picture and tap the edit symbol represented by a pen. If you’ve selected multiple photos, click “Edit All,” navigate to your new profile picture, and press “Edit.”
- Select your edit options in the left section of the display. The list includes adding captions, tagging friends, rotating the image, cropping the image, and adding alternative text.
- After making your adjustments press the “Save” button.
- Tap the left-pointing arrow and choose your audience.
- Select “Post,” and your profile picture should be updated.
- Launch Messenger to check out your new profile image.
How to Change your Messenger Profile Picture on an Android Device
Changing your Messenger profile picture on an Android shouldn’t give you a hard time, either. The requirements remain the same: you need to have an official Facebook app and an active account.
If you meet both conditions, you can proceed to update your profile picture:
- Open your Facebook app.
- Go to the “What’s on your mind (name)” box and tap your profile picture to access your profile. Alternatively, you can press the menu symbol that appears as three horizontal bars in the right section of your display and choose your ID.
- Hit your ID name.
- Tap your profile picture to access several settings about the image.
- To change the picture with one from the gallery, you’ll need to press “Select Profile Picture.”
- Select a photo from the gallery. You can also tweak the picture in this menu. Your options include adding frames, making avatar profile pictures, selecting profile videos, and adding designs.
- After selecting your picture, you’ll be able to edit it. The process is the same for both Android and iOS users.
- Once you’re happy with your modifications, choose “Done.”
Your Messenger profile pictures should now be updated. But sometimes, the app may not show your new image. There’s a simple solution to this problem:
- Go to your home screen and navigate to the “Settings” section.
- Scroll down and tap the “Apps” window.
- Find the Messenger app and press it.
- Choose the “Storage” option.
- Tap “Clear Cache” and “Clear Data.”
- Open your Messenger and check if your profile picture has been changed.
If the solution doesn’t do the trick, you can try the following methods:
- Restarting your device – This might be a cliché solution, but it goes a long way in solving many problems with your apps. Restarting your phone might do the trick.
- Deleting recently installed third-party applications – Downloading certain apps can interfere with other programs on your device and cause them to malfunction. If you’ve recently installed a third-party app, delete it, and that may enable Messenger to upload your new profile picture.
- Factory resetting your smartphone – As your last resort, reset your device to its factory settings. This will restore your software to its original version, but it might allow Messenger to change your profile picture.
How to Change your Messenger Profile Picture on a PC
If you find your Android or iPhone screen too small to update your Messenger profile picture, you can use your PC. To do so, you’ll need to employ your browser:
- Launch your browser and go to Facebook’s website.
- Enter your login credentials.
- Navigate to the upper bar and press your profile name. You’ll now access your profile page.
- Hover over your profile picture with your mouse to reveal the “Update Profile Picture” option. Click it, and you’ll see a window with several settings.
- Select “Upload Photo” if you want to use a picture stored on your PC. Your other option is to scroll down and choose an image you’ve already uploaded to Facebook.
- Once you’ve located your preferred picture, click it.
- Start dragging the image to adjust it. This way, you’ll be able to modify the thumbnail position according to your preferences. Plus, you can crop, add effects, edit the image, and make it a temporary Facebook profile picture.
- After making all your customizations, press “Save” in the lower-right section of this window.
Your profile picture should now be uploaded to Facebook and Messenger.
Why Can’t I Update My Messenger Profile Picture?
There may be various reasons why you can’t change your Messenger profile picture. For instance, you can’t do it directly through the app because Facebook has disabled this feature on the most current version. You can only do it on older versions of the applications.
But you can only adjust specific settings on Messenger, such as delivery settings, privacy, notifications and sound, and phone contacts. To edit your Messenger profile (e.g., profile information and picture), you’ll need to use your Facebook account.
Can You Have Different Profile Pictures on Messenger?
Unfortunately, you can’t have a different profile pic on your Messenger than the one on Facebook. They both will be identical. The main reason is that Facebook is connected with Messenger, and the apps have a common database.
Nevertheless, other apps let you use a separate profile picture, even though Facebook owns them. WhatsApp is the most well-known example. The platform has its own database, enabling you to upload a different profile pic.
Step Up Your Messenger Game
Like any other app with profile pictures, Messenger doesn’t restrict you to just one image. You can change it whenever you want to improve your profile and allow other people to see your best side. The only problem is that you can’t do it directly from the app – you’ll need to employ your Facebook account. Luckily, the process is a walk in the park.
How often do you change your Messenger profile picture? What version of the app are you using? Tell us in the comments section below.