How to Change Lock Screen in MIUI
A lock screen prevents you from accidentally dialing numbers or entering different apps and making a mess on your phone. It works even better if you have a PIN code to enter before you can unlock the phone.
But what most of us love even more about having a lock screen is that it’s another opportunity to display a wonderful wallpaper. The one on your home screen isn’t enough because you’ve got so many amazing photos in your gallery!
Here’s how to change your default lock screen and set your own.
Changing Your Lock Screen
When you update to MIUI on your Xiaomi phone, you’ll see a default lock screen photo when you lock the device. You may decide to keep it, but if you want to set up another wallpaper, you have three ways to do it, depending on the MIUI version your phone is running.
- Download the photo you want to set up as a lock screen wallpaper. You can get it from social media or a browser, or you can transfer it from your computer.
- Open your Gallery app and find the desired image.
- Tap on the picture to open it, and then tap the three-dot icon.
- Select Set as wallpaper.
- If necessary, crop the image to fit your screen.
- Choose Set as Lock Screen wallpaper.
- Enjoy your new lock screen!
- Instead of opening the Gallery, go to the Settings app.
- Select the Wallpaper option, and you’ll see what your current home screen and lock screen wallpapers look like.
- At the bottom, you’ll see the Change option. Tap it and choose a new wallpaper among the available ones. Note that you can also opt for a wallpaper carousel, but it may drain your battery faster.
- When you’ve chosen a wallpaper, tap Apply to save the changes.
If your phone is running an MIUI version that is newer than 8, you may be able to change the wallpaper via the Themes app. Here’s what to do.
- Open the Themes app on your smartphone and choose Wallpapers.
- You’ll see a choice of system wallpapers that are available to you.
- Choose a wallpaper you want and then tap on Apply.
- To save your changes, tap Set as Lock Screen and exit the settings.
Can You Disable the Lock Screen?
The answer is yes. If you wish, you can disable the lock screen completely; just follow the instructions below to do so. The steps may vary depending on the MIUI version you have.
- Access Settings from your Home screen.
- From the Settings menu, choose Lock screen. You might need to tap it again on the new screen.
- Here, you can choose if and how you want to unlock your phone. If you wish to disable the lock screen, choose the Turn off option. If you want to try methods other than pattern, select Try other ways to unlock, where you can set up a PIN or a password.
How Can You Wake Up Your Screen
Of course, you can use the power button to wake up your screen as usual, but there are also a few other ways to do this. You may consider them convenient in different situations, so here are a few different options:
- You can select the option for your screen to wake up whenever you receive a notification. It’ll apply to any app.
- You can set it to wake up your screen whenever you lift your phone from a surface. As you pick it up from your desk, for instance, the screen will turn on.
- You can opt for the screen to wake up with a double-tap on it.
Can You Change the Screen Timeout Option?
You can do this too. Again, the steps may slightly differ from one MIUI version to another, but you typically need to do the following:
- Open Settings on your smartphone.
- Tap to open and then choose Lock screen.
- From this menu, select Sleep and set up the desired time, after which your phone will “go to sleep” if not in use.
Once you set the time, you’ll see it under Sleep in the previous step. You can also choose the Never sleep option if you don’t want to use it.
How to Change Your Home Screen Wallpaper
If you want to change your home screen wallpaper too, you can choose a photo from your gallery or a system image from Themes.
If you want a photo from your Gallery app, do the following:
- Find the desired image in Gallery.
- Tap on the three-dot icon to see your options.
- Choose Set as wallpaper.
- Select the Home screen (or both if you want to use the same image for your lock screen too).
- Crop the image to adjust it to your screen and select Apply to save the changes.
As you can see, if you opt for using MIUI on your phone, you’ll have plenty of customization options. You can personalize your phone to enhance your user experience and reflect your personality.
If you want to start with wallpapers, you have several ways to change the default ones to images you enjoy seeing.
Have you already changed the wallpaper on your MIUI? Let us know in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.