How to Check the Controller Battery Level on a PS5
The PS5 controller’s battery life can be from 12 to 15 hours, depending on use. It’s easy to get carried away during an exciting game and forget all about the demands on your controller. But the last thing any gamer wants is for their controller to stop working due to a dead battery.
Fortunately, there are two easy ways you can check your PS5 controller’s battery. In this article, we’ll go through the process of checking the battery level of your PS5 controller. We’ll also answer some common questions about the battery life of a PS5 controller.
How to Check the Controller Battery on a PS5
Not only can a low or dead battery stop your PS5 controller from working, but it can also cause other types of issues. Worst of all, it could force you to give up on your game just when it becomes exciting. Whether you’re using the DualSense wireless controller or any other brand, you should know how to check the battery power level to prevent this from happening.
Keep in mind that you can’t use DualSense controllers until you’ve fully charged them. Once they’re fully charged, you can use them to play games for an average of 12 to 15 hours. The actual battery life depends on the type of game you’re playing. For example, if you’re playing a game that requires a lot of button pressing, your controller’s battery can be drained within five or six hours.
The easiest and quickest way to check your PS5 controller’s battery level is with the controller and the PlayStation console. Here’s what you need to do:
- Take your PS5 controller and press the “PS” button.
- Proceed to the “Control Center” tab on your TV screen.
- Use the right button on your controller to go to the “Accessories” folder. The battery percentage will be displayed there.
That’s all there is to it. The battery life will be shown in bars, so you’ll know you need to charge your controller if there is only one bar left. However, your PS5 should also notify you on screen when it’s time to charge your controller’s battery anyway. If you choose to charge it at that moment, you’ll see that the battery bars on the screen are animated.
How to Check the PS5 Controller Battery on a PC
There is another way to check if you need to charge your PS5 controller’s battery, and that’s with your PC. To be more precise, we’ll be using the DS4Windows application, since PS5 DualSense controllers are compatible with the app’s newest update.
You can use the PS5 DualSense controller with your PC if you’re playing games on Steam. This is where the DS4Windows app comes in. It helps your controller work more effectively, all the while improving your driver’s performance while you’re playing video games on your PC. Some players prefer connecting their PS5 controller to their PC, as doing so can extend the battery life even more.
Checking your PS5 controller’s battery with the DS4Windows app is simple. This is what you need to do:
- Connect your PS5 controller to your PC with a USB cable.
Note: To do this, you need a USB Type-C to USB-A cable.
- Launch the DS4Windows app on your PC.
- Go to the “Controller” screen.
- The battery level will be displayed under “Battery.”
Once you connect these two devices, your PC will automatically detect the controller’s battery. You can also connect your PS5 controller to your PC via Bluetooth if your PC supports it.
If you’re using Steam, this is how you can check your PS5 controller’s battery:
- Launch Steam on your PC.
- Go to “Big Picture Mode.”
- Locate the battery icon in the upper-right corner of your screen.
If the battery icon isn’t there, then you need to do the following:
- Click on the gear icon in the upper-right corner of your screen.
- In the “Controller” section, go to “Controller Settings.”
- Under “Detected Controllers,” find your PS5 DualSense controller.
- Click on the “Identify” button underneath.
When you go back to the main page, you should see the battery percentage in the upper-right corner of the app.
How Can You Make Your PS5 Controller Battery Last Longer?
There is a way to prolong your PS5 controller’s battery life. To do this, we will be using the PS5 controller and the PlayStation console. This is what you need to do:
1. Turn on your PlayStation console.
2. Use your controller to go to the gear icon in the upper-right corner.
3. In the “Settings” menu, go down until you find “Accessories.”
4. Use the down button on your controller to go to “Controllers” on the left sidebar.
5. Select “Vibration Intensity” and choose “Off” in the pop-up menu.
6. Proceed to “Trigger Effect Intensity” and turn it off.
7. For “Brightness of Controller Indicators,” select the “Dim” option.
Following these steps will prolong your controller’s battery life to up to two hours. This method is especially useful when your battery power is low, and you don’t want to stop playing a particular game.
Make Sure Your PS5 Controller Is Fully Charged
There are several ways to check your PS5 controller’s battery life. Whether you choose the quick way with the controller or use your PC, knowing how much battery life is left can save you from frustrating situations. After you’ve fully charged your PS5 controller, you can go back to playing video games without worry.
Have you ever needed to check your PS5 controller’s battery? How did you do it? Let us know in the comments section below.